Why become a member? ×

I hate new strings!!

bassist_lewis

I've had a set of DR Lo-Riders (I think) on my bass for about 18 months and I was curious about the DR Sunbeams - nickel wound on a round core, supposedly more 'old school' sounding - so I changed them a few days ago. But now I seem to have a dead spot around the 7th fret on the E string, the notes don't seem to have as strong a fundamental as the other frets on that string and a slight dip in volume (could be because of a loss of mids rather than actual volume lost). This doesn't happen on any of the other strings.
Does anyone have any insight as to why this would happen?

And that's why I hate new strings, I had my sound nailed and now it's gone 😭 I might even get my old strings out the bin and put them back on!

Edited by bassist_lewis

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1487441720' post='3239866']
Maybe you have a bad set ,personally i love new strings and mine get changed monthly but that's just me
[/quote]

I'm with you on this one. These arrived today. I'm a happy bunny :)!

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Richard_Pain/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0588_zpsycs0huos.jpg.html][IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Richard_Pain/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0588_zpsycs0huos.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I guess we're all different in that regard. Read once that Marcus Miller would change strings a few days ahead of a recording session to get that new, crisp sound, but just broken in a little bit to take out the initial 'zing' that completely new strings can sometimes give you. He also said in that interview that Anthony Jackson was known to change his strings almost every day. Personally, I have to admit that I often leave the strings on for too long, compensating for the loss of top end on the amp or a pedal. That mosty applies to my J basses, though. On the P basses, I dig a more dull and old-school tone and in some cases the strings remain the same for years. :-)

I tend to have to change mine about every 4 gigs for the sound I need. I used to keep strings on for ages (6 months to a year) when doing covers but since joining my current band I need that twangy aggression that you only get with new strings (Rotosound steel rounds to be exact).

We`ve a 3 day recording session coming up later this year so I`ll be methodically putting on a set of strings for one rehearsal to wear them in slightly, then taking them off and repacking them. I intend on using one set per day. Probably a bit like Marcus Miller as BoomBass has described above, although I`d think that`s pretty much the only similarity between us, I wouldn`t attempt to say my talent/ability is anything like his (if I even have any of course).

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1487536643' post='3240626']
I've had a set of Elixirs on my Sire for a couple of months now and they sound [i]perfect[/i]. Nice rounded fundamental tone, but plenty of snap and zing when slapped, pulled or digging in.
[/quote]
love elixirs, and i leave them on for months with no decernable loss in tone. (though i dont play that much at the moment) worth every penny as they are rather expensive

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recommend DR strings. I mean, I don't like the feel of theese strings, but it's only my opinion. Try some from EB
[url="https://musicsquare.co.uk/115678_Ernie-Ball-2842-Stainless-Steel-bass-guitar-strings-50105.html"]https://musicsquare.co.uk/115678_Ernie-Ball-2842-Stainless-Steel-bass-guitar-strings-50105.html[/url]
[url="http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/erbacoslbagu.html"]http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/erbacoslbagu.html[/url]

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1487434616' post='3239803']
I've had a set of DR Lo-Riders (I think) on my bass for about 18 months and I was curious about the DR Sunbeams - nickel wound on a round core, supposedly more 'old school' sounding - so I changed them a few days ago. But now I seem to have a dead spot around the 7th fret on the E string, the notes don't seem to have as strong a fundamental as the other frets on that string and a slight dip in volume (could be because of a loss of mids rather than actual volume lost). This doesn't happen on any of the other strings.
Does anyone have any insight as to why this would happen?

And that's why I hate new strings, I had my sound nailed and now it's gone I might even get my old strings out the bin and put them back on!
[/quote]

That's SO funny because I experienced almost the exact same thing with the exact same situation. Switched to Sunbeams from Lo-Riders- hated them. Went back to Lo-Riders.

Yes I hate new strings.

My La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats have been on my Mustang for 2 or 3 months now and they're just starting to mature. They should be fine come Autumn.

Edited by grandad

One of the best ways to alter your tone without buying a new bass is changing the strings but it's such a minefield! I hated Ernie Ball acoustic guitar strings so stayed away from them for years, now my fretless has had eb flats for ten years and now eb round cobalts, and my jazz got restrung with eb round slinkies and a set up last May and it's still going strong now. Must add the jazz is my "second" bass after my p so that might help extend the life. It's a bummer though when you pay good money for strings and you end up not liking them... Had that experience with DR strings but just think the Warwick I had at the time was the wrong bass for those strings.

I keep bass strings on for ages. My Jazz has had Ernie Ball super slinkies on for going on 12 months and my Precision has had regular slinkies on for around 6 months. I probably won't change them within the next 12 months either. Prior to the roundwounds on the Precision, I had flats (Thomastik i think) on for around 4 years. I still have them and I'll be putting them back on a bass when I have a requierment to do so.

I'm not an active gigger or active in the studio anymore which is why I can be more relaxed. My strings basically only get changed if I am going to a recording session or I'm filling in for someone at a gig. Not very often!

I'm on board with this. New strings are too bright and clangy and blah. You can clean your strings every once in a while.

...my current bass has had the same strings for at least 6 years. But that's because they're black tapewounds on my fretless. They haven't really worn out. I'll run some rubbing alcohol along them a couple times a year but beyond that...why bother?!

'sunbeam' implies a bright sound, lo riders sound a little fatter. Roll off a little Bright or Presence or whatever and it should be fine.

Glad that moving the amp fixed your problem! :)

Love DR's