Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly good purchases?

ChunkyMunky

[url="http://www.reaper.fm"]Reaper DAW by Cockos. [/url] I've been using it for donkeys years now and not really scratched the surface of what it's truly capable of. It's just a nice bit of software that I can even do basic video editing on!

More recently though, the D'Addario Eclipse tuner that I bought with my last order of strings is really rather good. Also from TC Electronic, I still love the SpectraComp, but just arrived, the 'Sub n' Up' is just a bonkers good stand alone Octave pedal. The tracking down low is better than any pedal I've used to date.

Ok, one more... apologies! - I'm going to do a thread about it. Just arrived, the [url="https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/handy-recorder/h2n-handy-recorder"]Zoom H2n[/url] field recorder that can record from 4 directions (kinda like surround sound). It's just brilliant for picking up rehearsal recordings and even gigs. Yeah, I knew it would be good but it ended up being much better than expected!

Seeing as we're off amps and cabs for the moment, I just realised I have owned my Boss TU-2 for at least 12 years.
It took a mighty beating over the years, while everything surrounding it got switched around and replaced.

Never gave it much thought, but I'm stumped if that isn't what you're looking for in a tuner...

A 90's Peavey 210TX with the carpet covering bought for £30. After a clean up and a bit of TLC to fix some loose wiring it sounds quite astonishing when stood on its end as an upright 2x10 and can put out a fair bit of thump and twang despite its modest power rating. My Boogie and Barefaced cabs are gathering dust since it came along!

[quote name='dangoose' timestamp='1490224978' post='3263485']
A 90's Peavey 210TX with the carpet covering bought for £30. After a clean up and a bit of TLC to fix some loose wiring it sounds quite astonishing when stood on its end as an upright 2x10 and can put out a fair bit of thump and twang despite its modest power rating. My Boogie and Barefaced cabs are gathering dust since it came along!
[/quote]

+1
Forgot about mine, great sounding cab. ( My cat used to like getting in through the rear port as I remember too....)
Have to be careful with the amp you use though, as only 175 watts RMS so easy to pop a speaker.
Also loved the Peavey 410TX I had as well, just felt it was bolted to the floor.

Not really a purchase, as BC member Alyctes generously gave me a Behringer BX4500H head; I just needed to replace the internal fan to get it working properly.

Anyway, I took it to a two-hour rehearsal recently and kept switching over from my normal Tonehammer 500 to the Behringer - both set flat into a very transparent cab. I listened very carefully. There was *[i]no discernable difference[/i]*. How is that possible when the TH500 is considered to be the cream of the current amplifier crop and costs about £800 while the Behringer originally cost about £180 and can now be picked up for peanuts?

This was a bit of a reality check. Definitely recommended for anyone on a budget.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1490096835' post='3262096']
Seeing as we're off amps and cabs for the moment, I just realised I have owned my Boss TU-2 for at least 12 years.
It took a mighty beating over the years, while everything surrounding it got switched around and replaced.

Never gave it much thought, but I'm stumped if that isn't what you're looking for in a tuner...
[/quote]

I'm the same with the Korg Pitchblack. The only tuner I've ever used.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1490352944' post='3264493']
Not really a purchase, as BC member Alyctes generously gave me a Behringer BX4500H head; I just needed to replace the internal fan to get it working properly.

Anyway, I took it to a two-hour rehearsal recently and kept switching over from my normal Tonehammer 500 to the Behringer - both set flat into a very transparent cab. I listened very carefully. There was *[i]no discernable difference[/i]*. How is that possible when the TH500 is considered to be the cream of the current amplifier crop and costs about £800 while the Behringer originally cost about £180 and can now be picked up for peanuts?

This was a bit of a reality check. Definitely recommended for anyone on a budget.
[/quote]
Hi Stevie, if 'set flat' genuinely is flat then all amps should sound the almost the same unless you are running them at their limits. The distortion created by most amps nowadays is pretty minimal, you might be able to detect differences in an A to B test under ideal circumstances but even that is getting difficult. With a band playing around you any difference in sound with a bass ought to be down to how the preamp is voiced. Most bass amps don't sound very good with recorded music played in through the guitar jack so I assume for a lot of them there isn't a flat frequency response with all the controls at 12 o'clock.

It would be interesting to see if these two do sound good with music and the controls set flat, and perhaps to compare them to a DI'd sound through the PA.

Makes you think though, if the only difference is down to the tone controls then why spend so much on an amp.

Orange OBC115 gave me that depth of sound that's been missing from my tone for many years. Probably since using 10's and 12's on their own or lightweight cabs.
OBC115 is a solid reasonably heavy but liftable proper bass cab that just does what its meant to do.
Provide low down depth for a bass.

Dave

My Flea Bass, pretty much bought on a whim as I already had a Highway One that I never played in anger. Took it out on a gig as a backup, thought I'd do the first set with it and it's been my go to bass ever since. My poor old number 1 (Precision Hot Rod) just sits on her stand.

Always been a P/J man, but the Flea is probably the bass with the nicest feel and sound I've ever played

Peavey Firebass head.

Bought it from Chimike for £120. Incredible amp, capable of almost any sound you wanted and delivering it at any volume you wanted. Sold it during a gear cull.

A few months later, I saw a Peavey Max700 (which the Firebass was based on) on eBay and nabbed it for £70! Still got it and love it :)