Why become a member? ×

Travis Bean TB2000

Bridgehouse

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1487413878' post='3239577']
The whole thread saw we 90% though an electrical guitar order form earlier in the week. This didn't help..

[media]http://youtu.be/K6G_hugwG0E[/media]
[/quote]
God, she is an awful woman!

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1487413878' post='3239577']
The whole thread saw we 90% though an electrical guitar order form earlier in the week. This didn't help..

http://youtu.be/K6G_hugwG0E
[/quote]

Just pure magic. Rob Dean's RD Artist guit*r is pretty cool too.......

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1487418816' post='3239640']

You know, his were custom build short scales.
[/quote]

Didn't know that, but makes sense - in all other respects the TB is about as polar opposite to the basses he was playing in the '60's as a 4 string bass can be. I'm assuming the "disco" bassline on "Miss you" was the TB

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of Beans, there's a band who gig around Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire called Pensevor, both the guitarists play TBs. Well, when I say both of them, the guitarist favours a TB1000 (the Gibson 335 shaped one) and the bass player uses something that has a Travis Bean neck, bridge, pickups and controls in the right place, it's got the serial number stamped into the headstock, but the body shape is all wrong and the horns are too long and thick. I spoke to her about it once and she was a bit dumb to it, really didn't want to talk about it or know what it's history was.

Edited by NancyJohnson

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1487506037' post='3240242']
I'm hearing great tone, but heavy, expensive and not many of them...

I should be considering something else I reckon. I do have a very strong draw to a 60s Jazz to round out the collection... a TB would be about the same sort of money...!!!
[/quote]

FWIW, I've owned a fretless TB2000 for 40 years now. I've had it for sale on TB for a while with a few tire kickers inquiring but no serious bites as of yet. It sounds great but the weight and even more so the neck dive leave me inspired to play it for an hour or two a month, at most.

[b]Nancy Johnson: [/b]quite a few Beans have been retrofitted with new bodies, as the original ones reputedly have a fairly strong tendency to split if one takes theirs apart repeatedly.

• 5 months later...

I cannot recommend them enough! I own two and have had a few others too. They're all different in shape and thickness of neck and body over the years but all sound the same. The wind on the pickups is low at about 6k but because they sit on the neck it sounds like a piano with slight chorus.

• 8 months later...

worth of TBs can't go down again.
Sometimes an instrument gets the range of cult. There exist some more than 1.000 pieces worldwide. And sometimes owner changes ... But probably never for less than others would pay for. Those about 900 owners know what they own.

• 2 years later...
On 18/02/2017 at 16:43, Shaggy said:

A certain Mr Wyman also a player of these of course....

I'm the fortunate owner of Travis Bean TB-2000 No. 883, originally bought brand new in 1978 from Nadine's Guitars in Hollywood, CA for what at the time was a precious amount to a 21 year old, $380 if I recall correctly. This baby has served me well, is such a unique bass with remarkable low end, clarity, roundness, and sustain. The TB-2000 is instantly recognizable as the instrument Wyman used to record the Stone's album "Some Girls" which included the hit song and classic bass line on "Miss You". This bass suites my sound perfectly & I feel very lucky to be it's one and only lifelong owner. Weight has never been an issue and when the neck is cold (depending on the weather) coming out of the case, once warmed up in short order it's ready to play to my heart's delight, completely uninhibited. Love my Travis Bean... Old No. 883 & will continue to play it 'till the day I die!

Travis-Bean-Bass_in-case_2021.01.05.jpg

Travis-Bean-Bass-Front-&-Back_2021.01.jpg

Travis-Bean-Bass_Head-Stock-2021.01.05_11.12.jpg

Edited by Yeeowww!
  • Like 4