Why become a member? ×

Is anybody getting bored of "reliced" instruments?

prowla

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487073048' post='3236716']

But IIRC the "wear" pattern is exactly the same on all the Flea Jazz Basses which doesn't makes them unique at all ;-)
[/quote]
It's like they were all made in a factory or something

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1487072431' post='3236701']
I wasn't that bothered either way until I bought the Flea Jazz Bass. Even my Dad, who doesn't play, thought it looked really unique.
[/quote] probably wondered more about the colour than the wear patterns?

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1487073543' post='3236723']
@LewisK1975 OI! I thought we said no negativity!

Don't spoil my new present ;)
[/quote]

Haha, sorry fella, enjoy your MarloweDK, it'll be a top Bass for sure. :D

I think if we bring this back to the OP's original point, 'Is anybody getting bored of reliced instruments?', you can't ignore the fact that Fender have been doing the Roadworn stuff for pushing 10 years now? (think they started in either 2007 or 2008). We all know that Fender wouldn't continue making something that wasn't shifting units. So folks are still buying them 10 years down the line. Whilst I think the RRP on these is insane at the moment, to me they represent a good deal secondhand.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487081469' post='3236837']
I think if we bring this back to the OP's original point, 'Is anybody getting bored of reliced instruments?', you can't ignore the fact that Fender have been doing the Roadworn stuff for pushing 10 years now?
[/quote]

They've been doing relics for 22 years.

Each to his own. I'd happily give housespace to a well-done relic '65 Jazz, but I'd far prefer the real thing. I agree that some 'heavy relic' jobs just look crap.
[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1487057084' post='3236540']
I think the OP has a point. It's like vaping or gluten free fad.
[/quote]
Try telling someone with irritable bowel or coeliac disease that gluten free is just a fad... ;)

S'ok Lewis, I forgive you!

This boredom thing can extend to lots of things, pickguards, tortie pickguards, tobacco sunburst etc.
I saw Glenn Hughes the other day with his relic'd Nash bass, and it looked supreme on him. He has that because as well as liking them it will be close in appearance to what his original bass would look like which is too valuable to take on the road.
Tom Hamilton and his metallic flake, suits him, on me I would look a tool. Some people can rock stickers on a bass.

A poor job whether normal or relic finish is a poor job and no one will like, a good finish either way a lot of people will like.
An old bass in pristine condition is a wonder to behold, by a worn old bass with stories to tell is also cool

I've owned two basses that have had noticeable wear to them.

One was the first bass I ever owned, and TBH it's tatty state meant that I could actually afford to buy it. It's too far gone to be worth restoring, but recently I have been eyeing up examples that are in better/more original condition with a view to replacing it.

The other one, once I'd decided that it was worth keeping, went straight back to the person who made it for a full overhaul and refinish. When it came back, apart from a small about of wear to the fingerboard, it looked like a brand new bass.

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1487061755' post='3236565']
I don't like marmite, but I've never thought it worth starting a thread about.
[/quote]
Well, it would be a bit off topic for the bass forum.
I have to say, I'm neutral on the marmite question, though I don't like twiglets.
However, back on topic, I do like to keep an eye on instruments for sale at various sites and that prompted the discussion.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487081469' post='3236837']
'Is anybody getting bored of reliced instruments?', you can't ignore the fact that Fender have been doing the Roadworn stuff for pushing 10 years now? (think they started in either 2007 or 2008).
[/quote]
[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1487081805' post='3236841']
They've been doing relics for 22 years.
[/quote]

So through the second-hand market, I might be able to get my hands on a genuinely road-worn Road-Worn!

I've played a couple of the Fender Road Worn Ps, and really liked the feel of them, but I'm sure they could have made them without the previously-mentioned 'all worn in uniquely the same way' damage.

Relicing is just a complete no-no for me, although if I drop my bass on a concrete car park I reserve the right to shout "Oh f*ck no, I've reliced it!" :unsure: :rolleyes: :D

I see relic-ing like getting a supermodel for a girlfriend, not letting her wear make-up, not wash her hair for months, giving her a black eye and a fat lip, making her wear old raggedy clothes and hurting her back so she can't walk properly.

Why would you want this over the pristine item?

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1487088842' post='3236937']
I see relic-ing like getting a supermodel for a girlfriend, not letting her wear make-up, not wash her hair for months, giving her a black eye and a fat lip, making her wear old raggedy clothes and hurting her back so she can't walk properly.[/quote]

I would say your analogy is slightly off.

When I find an instrument that is a keeper, I use it to the exclusivity of all others. My current guitar is only a few years old but it's coming on for about fifty gigs... it's showing signs of use... and I'm not scared of playing it hard. It's got character, I can get it to speak. Eventually it'll look knackered, but I'll keep playing it because it feels like home.

With a brand new guitar with a lovely mirror finish to the lacquer, I have no idea whether I'll end up keeping it. I worry about scratching it or putting a dent in it and I honestly can't let go and play in the same way. Buying second hand solves that issue to an extent and I reckon a relic would even more so.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1487082159' post='3236850']
Each to his own. I'd happily give housespace to a well-done relic '65 Jazz, but I'd far prefer the real thing. I agree that some 'heavy relic' jobs just look crap.

Try telling someone with irritable bowel or coeliac disease that gluten free is just a fad... ;)
[/quote]
I know of people who claim to have side reaction to gluten. But still eat pizza and burger with a bun from chain takeaways. I don't say everyone is the same.

Radiophonic says:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Nate Mendel seems particularly pointless - just an annoying amount of fake damage that you only notice if you look a bit? I'd still have one, but I'd want the body sprayed black! [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And thats what I have done. I was sick of the red colour, so I sprayed it satin black as I was looking for a black P bass. It sounds much better as well :ph34r:[/font][/color]

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1487098948' post='3237110']
Radiophonic says:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Nate Mendel seems particularly pointless - just an annoying amount of fake damage that you only notice if you look a bit? I'd still have one, but I'd want the body sprayed black! [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And thats what I have done. I was sick of the red colour, so I sprayed it satin black as I was looking for a black P bass. It sounds much better as well :ph34r:[/font][/color]
[/quote]
If you put stripes on it you'll be able to play faster.

Just a thought here... summarising some of what's been said:
- the most credible relics are Fenders
- Sunburst is boring..

So taking this point on a bit. I have, for a long time thought Fender style instruments are a bit "same old, same old". That's to say one seafoam green/ sunburst / CA red/ LP Blue with a white/ tort/ black pick guard etc is much like another.

So relicing is a way to break that mold and add some personalisation.
I'm not into relicing, but I'm not normally into Fenders; mainly because I find the look boring. (I hope nobody is offended by this. It is only MHO)