Why become a member? ×

Orange OBC115 Cab

dmccombe7

This is my first review i've tackled so hope its ok.
I bought the OBC115 Cab from a fellow basschatter and have to say from the outset it has more than surprised me.
The cab was in virtually new condition with Orange cover to match.

Its the black version which means you don't see any scuffs the way the Orange cabs seem to show up.
I've been finding that my existing amps or cabs don't appear to have the depth i'm looking for now that i'm playing in a Blues based funk / rock band using a Fender PJ.

So far the test is at home in the bass cave and will find out later how it sounds at a full band rehearsal. Bass was set flat with centre balance between PJ.

TRACE ELLIOT GP150 SM
This is the main Amp i have been using with a TE 2x10 cab. I left the EQ as it was with a smiley face set up on the graphic and no contours selected and the EQ balance flat centre point. The sound was very low and an amazing depth to it. There was a lack of high end tone with the current settings. I then put EQ flat on the graphic and found that the tone from the cab was far more balanced across the tonal range and there was enough bottom and top end to play some slap and pop styles. Not ideal but it works ok. The cab provided a nice warm sound from a deep low E to a high G on the 12th fret. All clear but sounding rich and warm.

GK MB200
This is my small portable back up ampand with everything set flat on the amp i had a usable tone but needed to boost the bass a little and cut the Hi Mid leaving the Lo Mid and Treble as they were at 12 o clock mid point. Switching the amp contour ON i found the low end was very booming and altho might suit some styles it wasn't for me. Setting the amp up with these settings produced similar tone to the TE above. Nice warm tone across the range with clear mids.

MARKBASS CMD 121 COMBO (12" cab was unplugged to give just the amp and 115 cab)
Started off with everything set flat and the VLE at 10 o'clock and VLF all way OFF. The cab sounded pretty good but a little too much hi-mids. Tweaked the EQ by backing off just the Hi Mid a touch and was able to use just the VLE to get some really nice warm tones from the Markbass. The higher end EQ didn't have a great effect on the cab or tone. However it was giving me that warm even tone i was looking for.
MARKBASS CMD 121 COMBO (with 12" speaker connected)
This took the overall tone to a new level where the top end was bright sharp and crystal clear yet the low end from the 115 was providing the lw end depth i was looking for. This set up would suit most styles of music in my opinion.

GK1001RBii
This was probably the biggest surprise. I normally use this am with my Bergantino HT322 cab and EQ is set upflat with just a touch boost on BASS control. The Contour is usually set at 10 o'clock and the BOOST set 12 o'clock. With these settings i found the cab to be very bottom ended and a little muddy even tho the EQ is minimal. The top end was very thin while the bottom end muddy and boomy. Decided to take Contour OFF altogether and bring EQ to flat. Left the BOOST at 12 o'clock. With the amp running flat the tone across the range was far more even and producing some nice warm, rich sounds. Taking the BOOST off gave it a warmer sound altho in my opinion a little dull Ideal home settings were EQ flat, Contour and Presence OFF and the BOOST back at 12 o'clock and that gave me a nicer overall tone.

To round off i actually thought the Trace amp had the better sound with this cab at the lower home volumes but that may change when things get ramped up.
The range off the cab is quite impressive for a 15" and i would have to say that 2 off these cabs would make one helluva sound with most amps.

Afraid my Ampeg SVT4 Pro is not working at present and that would have been the ultimate test for me. Perhaps the nest step for me is the Orange tube head AD200b. I can see how that and 2 115 cabs would be a pretty powerful sound at higher volumes.

Bit of an odd review using different amps but was trying to show how the cab compared with different heads.

I will see about updating a bit after rehearsal next week.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Hey Dave great review. Pretty much my thoughts on it when I owned it. I like the punky bass sound with the high end clank. The cab got close but the high end just didn't do it for me, hence why I said I had been thinking on getting a 4x10 to go with it. Since playing in my covers band though it had done everything I wanted it to and more. If the Barefaced cab I got hadn't been offered in trade I'd probably still be rocking it. That all said it produces more high end than I expected from a 15.

It's also a pretty loud cab too. I mean like you say, 2 of these would pretty much be all you'd need at a gig (If that! lol). With the 1 cab and a Terror head I never had it past 5 and I've played some big places.

Glad you like the cab and again great review, it's spot on with what I thought of it too.

G.

Cheers Grant. I was finding much the same as you and what you told me when i picked it up from you.
Quick update from rehearsals and found the low end was spot on with what i was hoping for. Using the Trace Elliot head there was a distinct lack of higher end ranging from the hi mids to treble frequencies. Just needed to tweak the amp a touch to remedy that however the TE amp started to fail again.
Swapped to my back up head GK MB200 and apart from little boost on the bass and using the contour smiley face switch the cab behaved without issue.
Having been away from 15" cabs since 80's i still need to address the lack of higher end clarity. Will try adjusting the amp EQ and failing that might look at adding in a 10 or 12 cab. One option that i tried in the house was using my Markbass combo which sounded full range and top end much sharper.
That will be my first option next weeks rehearsal. If that works ok i'll maybe look for a 2nd hand Orange cab and start using my GK1001RBii for gigs.
Ultimately an Orange AD200b head and an additional matching 4x10 but that's silly money.
Overall the rehearsals have never had so much depth from my bass.
Even my Jazz sounded rich and warm and plenty of depth and low end. Not booming but just rich, deep and warm.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment=239006:orange.jpg] [attachment=239006:orange.jpg]Hiho,I love my OBC115 special edition 2009 in white.
Here,s a wee story-I was after a small rig that was one hand lift, loud and sounded good.
I ended up with a Terror 500 head and SP212 cab and played that for 3 years.I quiet fancied another SP212 cab to go with this but along came the OBC115 for a great price.
I use the OBC115 most of the time now space allowing or the SP212 if space is tight and sometimes both together.
Never been happier with my sound.
They can go seriously loud but they sound so good.
I think the OBC115 sounds better then the 410 but that,s me.
Two 15,s would be outrageous but it would be good.
Orange head n Orange cab way to go

[quote name='MWH' timestamp='1488102890' post='3245768']
Yes, yes, Yes !
your so right, two 15" Orange cabs is the way, I have a 2x10" orange cab if I need some highs, run it with one of the 15's.
[/quote]

That looks like an impressive set up. Like that 2x15 rig. It just loks so damne impressive.
Out of curiosity how do you find the 210 cab on its own or with the 115.
I'm keeping my eye out for 210 but after seeing your 2x15 rig i think i might just stick with the 15's.

Dave