Why become a member? ×

E bay...where have all the bargains gone?

theplumber

Noticed recently a lot more buy now prices and not many low stting prices! Yes,I wouldnt want to see my stuff go for next to nothng. Sometimes you have to take a chance though,but where have all the bargains gone! In fairly recent times I have picked up a fair few guitars under £100. There was one the other night,a Vester P bass. Looked the part and it was a steal at £95. I don't really need another p bass at the moment though.

Well, why don't we all make it better?
Pick a bass from your collection and put it up there to sell at a bargain basement price.

After all, for you to be able to buy at a silly low price, someone has to be prepared to accept a silly low price, so why don't you start it off?

[quote] [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Many private sellers are now sellers my via Facebook groups or even sites likes this, avoiding EBay and possibly Paypal fees. [/quote][/font][/color]

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This.[/font][/color][/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I tend to find some groups work best for different price brackets. For example, I went to a high end American one to sell a Warwick Streamer (1991 NT1 fretless) and it sold within a week with 3 people hunting it down. That particular group is a gold mine for making sales of that seismic proportion (Foderas, Sadowsky etc..) whereas some of the smaller national ones are decent for shifting lower end gear (pedals, economic basses and amp heads etc...). [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Of course, you're welcome to hit me up with a message and I'll show you where it all is. [/font][/color] :) [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GumTree, in my experience, is the best for all round bargains, nationally speaking.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Not to inspire economic ill-will or malice but if the dollar to pound sterling ratio can go back to pre-Obama 2007 rates, that'd be awesome. If only I had a time travel machine! [/font][/color]

Edited by ChunkyMunky

Ebay made it plain probably 8 or 9 years ago that they wanted their business model to become a portal site for retailers, and since then it's a become more and more expensive, risky and hostile place for the private sellers the business was built upon. Which was entirely intentional.

As a result, I think most sellers have migrated to ScumTree or FB groups - which is fair enough, but I do miss getting some ridiculous bargains from badly-listed auctions - plus making some eye-watering killings by getting a bidding war going over [s]some piece of tat I blagged for a tenner at the car boot[/s] an immaculate, expertly-restored vintage rarity it broke my heart to part with. :)

[quote name='upside downer' timestamp='1486928509' post='3235656']
You might find a bargain under gitar, guiter or giter. I've found that misspellings are a good indicator of someone not having a clue about an instrument or its worth.
[/quote]
Yup. I frequently search for 'base guitar', often comes up with some interesting results.

I've started using Gumtree, no fees, and collection most of the time ebay is my second port of call these days, yes they seem to be going down the Amazon route of just wanting traders these days, still a good place to buy though, I've got a few items at good (not bargain) prices recently (trace elliot heads), not much risk and no fees

It's been the domain of Traders & chancers for too long, it's the real reason why people are more "savvy" as to what they have, and for those that don't do their research to either have too high hopes for their item. Then there's the utter chancers that give way too low offers on items, and complain when their offer is declined.

Bidding is a wretched process. I haven't 'won' anything in years and prices go up to what you can buy it for new pretty much every time. I hate it. It might be alright if you're looking for toilet lids and radiators, I suppose. I'm not surprised 'buy it new' is commonplace because who wants to go through that bidding process?

Everyone is completely aware of the sniping process... It's not really worth bothering about auction items until they are nearing the end unless its a rare item (actually rare... Not just described as so)
eBay has had its time for bargains. As already stated, used items go for nearly new prices but for the seller they still need to deduct the cost of sellin on the site so they dont really see the inflated cost in their income.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1486939593' post='3235800']
Bidding is a wretched process. I haven't 'won' anything in years and prices go up to what you can buy it for new pretty much every time. I hate it. It might be alright if you're looking for [b]toilet lids[/b] and radiators, I suppose. I'm not surprised 'buy it new' is commonplace because who wants to go through that bidding process?
[/quote]

Do you mean Musicman Bongoes?

[quote]There are still plenty of bargains on eBay provided that your tastes are not too mainstream.[/quote]

I got a mint (new model) Warwick Streamer STD last week for £230 (over £500 new) which I consider a bargain. Presumably due to anything Warwick being out of fashion so no longer mainstream.

On the opposite end I just sold a made in Japan Fender for £25 less than I paid for it brand new 2 months ago!

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1486939593' post='3235800']
Bidding is a wretched process. I haven't 'won' anything in years and prices go up to what you can buy it for new pretty much every time. I hate it. It might be alright if you're looking for toilet lids and radiators, I suppose. I'm not surprised 'buy it new' is commonplace because who wants to go through that bidding process?
[/quote]Whenever I do sell on Ebay I go down the 'buy it now' with 'make me an offer' route, I 've found it a lot better with the added bonus of the item selling quicker