Why become a member? ×

R.O.R Midi Bass

project_c

It must be bloody cold in that workshop!

Omg a more serious not I see it uses fret sensing technology, which IMO is the only practical way to do pitch to MIDI. However a video which only shows a couple of seconds of each mode does make me rather suspicious of how good the tracking and false note rejection actually is.

On a more positive note looking at the price of the guitar version and comparing it with that of the Industrial Radio MIDI guitar, the bass version should be a lot more affordable than the IR MIDI bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1486743145' post='3234310']
It must be bloody cold in that workshop!

Omg a more serious not I see it uses fret sensing technology, which IMO is the only practical way to do pitch to MIDI. However a video which only shows a couple of seconds of each mode does make me rather suspicious of how good the tracking and false note rejection actually is.

On a more positive note looking at the price of the guitar version and comparing it with that of the Industrial Radio MIDI guitar, the bass version should be a lot more affordable than the IR MIDI bass.
[/quote]
I think it was triggering on fret contact, but not doing fixed pitch from there, as the bloke was doing vibrato.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1486750445' post='3234378']
I think it was triggering on fret contact, but not doing fixed pitch from there, as the bloke was doing vibrato.
[/quote]

They are claiming a latency of 6.5 ms. There's no way you can do that without using the frets for pitch sensing. If it's been done properly then the fret position is used to determine the basic note and then the performance data is derived from the change in pitch of the actual string - bends vibrato etc, just like you would on a keyboard synth.

Having looked at the video again, they are going to need to have a re-think about the connectors used for MIDI if they want people to use this outside of the studio. IME neither 5-pin DIN or USB connectors are robust enough to be used live, plus the slightest misconnection can result in stuck notes and performance data not resetting, none of which are things that you want during a performance. If they are going to keep these, then I hope there's a nice big easily accessible "all notes off, reset CC data" button somewhere on the bass, because you are going to need it.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1486767712' post='3234521']
This shows mr Gas Williams from about 44mins in using his midi bass [url="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=II5J46xAjhk"]https://m.youtube.co...h?v=II5J46xAjhk[/url]
[/quote]

That's the Industrial Radio model. And also possibly the worst advert for its tracking abilities that I have ever seen. Why is is that given a new set of sonic toys all of a sudden bass players become really crap guitarists? I didn't see/hear anything in that performance that couldn't have been done better by someone with a keyboard synth. He would also have had more success with his pedals if he'd been wearing some shoes!

Edit: I was going to post a Little Dragon live video showing a far better demo of the IR MIDI Bass and it's performance capabilities, but it appears that they have stopped using it in favour of keyboard driven synths.

Edited by BigRedX

Little Dragon are a really really good band and do some loverly things live.

I think the sonicstate live stuff with Gaz Williams has some good and bad points he is a bit chaotic but his linking ideas with lots of cheap(ish) tech to a midi bass shows potential and although you might not like his style or performance I find him and his reviews generally great.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1486817794' post='3234749']
I think the sonicstate live stuff with Gaz Williams has some good and bad points he is a bit chaotic but his linking ideas with lots of cheap(ish) tech to a midi bass shows potential and although you might not like his style or performance I find him and his reviews generally great.
[/quote]

But for me it pretty much defeats the object when the MIDI bass controller costs far more than all the synths he's driving with it put together. Plus he could have done everything far more effectively if the bass had been replaced by s simple £100 MIDI controller keyboard.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...