Why become a member? ×

FRFR choice?

Bridgehouse

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1486726182' post='3234104']
You've looked at the specs of the RCFs?
[/quote]

I did - but it doesn't offer much more than the FR800 and crucially it's bigger (6" taller) heavier (11lbs more) and rates at 45hz -3db.

Was concerned about getting it in the car and lugging about which is what put me off the Line6 L3's.

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1486728137' post='3234140']
I did - but it doesn't offer much more than the FR800 and crucially it's bigger (6" taller) heavier (11lbs more) and rates at 45hz -3db.

Was concerned about getting it in the car and lugging about which is what put me off the Line6 L3's.
[/quote]

And its a much more useful shape for putting things on the top

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486729327' post='3234149']
I was thinking more about a rack (not ribs).. :) My beer lives away from potential electrical entanglement..
[/quote]

I must admit your (sensible) comment did cross my mind. I'm using a Helix Floor Unit at the moment but I've eyed up a Kemper, or even rack mounted solutions as well.. the BF would at least allow me to get them off the floor or not suspend them on a bar stool or chair..!

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1486731317' post='3234164']
I must admit your (sensible) comment did cross my mind. I'm using a Helix Floor Unit at the moment but I've eyed up a Kemper, or even rack mounted solutions as well.. the BF would at least allow me to get them off the floor or not suspend them on a bar stool or chair..!
[/quote]

I had a period when I used active PA cabs (classic wedge on a pole type) - and the fact they're not cuboid really really got on my nerves...

• 5 months later...

You know what, having played with Helix more and more, in getting the best out of it by going straight out of 1/4" mono into the back of my EICH 1000 power amp in and then into the VK 2x10 cab.

I've set up each bass patch as dual path, so 1/4" has no cab model, but preamp only, and the XLR path set up with a cab so I can DI out of the Helix for FOH and the amp/cab are an onstage monitor

I'm currently using a Fender Super Bassman (300 watts valve) into a Neo 410 cabinet. Rig of my dreams and sounds amazing but sadly I don't have a roadie to move it around for me. Classic dilemma.

Just bought a Helix LT and loving it which has led me to wonder whether I should invest in some sort of FRFR arrangement. The FR800 seems to get a lot of positive press, and I hear good things about the Yamaha DXR10 and 12. Also the HK Audio L5 115FA.

I could really do with some reassurance and recommendations from people who have used this arrangement in anger. Is it an idea worth pursuing? Is the Barefaced worth the (considerable) difference in price? Should I try a halfway house with a power amp and use the 410? Any contributions welcome!

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1502119387' post='3349413']
Ah!!
[/quote]

It's full name is FRFRWAMAPGTLOEMT.

Full Range, Flat Response, well as much as possible given the limitations of even modern technology.

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1502047821' post='3348995']
Is the Barefaced worth the (considerable) difference in price?
[/quote]

In a word: 'maybe'. The fact that they're the only frfr cabs that look like traditional bass cabs helps with the soundman acceptance factor and you can stack them too, which you can't with many of the other options. On the other hand most of the competition can be used as monitor wedges...

Mine do double duty as bass cabs with one band and as pa cabs in my other band and I'm fairly sure they do both better than the competition but part of me wishes I hadn't tried to be clever and that I'd bought a bass cabinet and two nice pa cabs for the same price.

I toy with the idea of selling them but I haven't yet as they sound so good.

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1501971656' post='3348602']
You know what, having played with Helix more and more, in getting the best out of it by going straight out of 1/4" mono into the back of my EICH 1000 power amp in and then into the VK 2x10 cab.

I've set up each bass patch as dual path, so 1/4" has no cab model, but preamp only, and the XLR path set up with a cab so I can DI out of the Helix for FOH and the amp/cab are an onstage monitor
[/quote]

I'm surprised you're even considering another cab with the VK/Eich setup!

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the BF Big Baby II and the FR800 other than the fact the FR800 has an amp built in, and if that's all it is, can you get a Big Baby II upgraded to an FR800?

I ask because I'm about to change my rig and get a Helix. I was wondering whether or not to keep my amp (Tech Soundsystems Black Cat) and get a Big Baby II or sell the amp as well and go for an FR800. It's all about equipment sharing gigs where I might be expected to bring my own amp but not cab(s) and portability...

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1502141305' post='3349615']
I'm surprised you're even considering another cab with the VK/Eich setup!
[/quote]

Yeah. I'm not now. :)

It's saved me a huge chunk of change by just plugging Helix into the back and giving it a whirl with no cabs on my patches!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1502141540' post='3349622']
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the BF Big Baby II and the FR800 other than the fact the FR800 has an amp built in, and if that's all it is, can you get a Big Baby II upgraded to an FR800?

I ask because I'm about to change my rig and get a Helix. I was wondering whether or not to keep my amp (Tech Soundsystems Black Cat) and get a Big Baby II or sell the amp as well and go for an FR800. It's all about equipment sharing gigs where I might be expected to bring my own amp but not cab(s) and portability...
[/quote]

I'd say keep the Black Cat and get a portable and efficient cab, something like, oh I don't know, a Genz Benz NX2-212T😉

Of course, I could really shake things up by saying that Helix sounds pretty damn good through the back of a Markbass LMIII into a Barefaced Compact Gen 2 as well..

It's not quite as rounded and articulate as the VK and EICH, but it's more than good enough. Really rather more than good enough in fact.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1502141540' post='3349622']

[/quote]

Tonally, the cabinets I understand have little difference, but I think the construction has to make way for the amplifier. I don't think they can be upgraded, but of course it'd be easy to get the information direct from BF who reply to mails quickly. For me anyway!

In terms of having a 'system in a box', i'd go for the FR800 every time - budget limitations mean that I have a BB2 though. I have a Helix and would love a pair of FR's, it'd be such a great set up.