Why become a member? ×

New Flea signature bass on the cards ?

Wayne Firefly

I've seen Flea popping up now and again with different versions of this Jazz Bass..... Anyone reckon this obvious prototype is going to be a new Fender release of a new Flea signature bass ?? Musicman sure did miss a big oppertunity not doing him one as all his basses seem to follow the Stingray layout. Ooof !!!

I just don't know why Musicman don't utilise one of the most well known modern bass players! I mean, not only is he well known, his bass lines really do sit high in the mix....

I guess the Stingray doesn't need to have a signature artist version as it sells itself, but I do think he could come up with something very cool with them.

I don't think its a prototype, he has about four of them in different colours (two are relic shell pink like his current signature) and all made by the custom shop. I don't think it hurt MusicMans business at all, he is still well known for using that bass even among non bass players and they are doing considerably better and selling more basses that poor old Modulus.

Being the cynic that I am, I think it was all part of his endorsement deal. Fender could easily and cheaply replicate his vintage pink Fender with whatever old parts and tools are in the factory, but his tech says the sound of the that Jazz isn't right live. So he basically has to be seen using a Fender live so they make him a few that are as close to a Stingray and his old signature modulus as possible, they even added an extra fret!

Interestingly his tech on a YouTube vid cannot say enough good things about his modulus basses, but says little about these custom shop fenders. In my opinion these are the basses Fender should have released as nice as his signature is. However it seems Fender don't like putting other manufacturers parts on their basses (apart from the odd Duncan quarter pounder) and I cant see them using Aguilar pickups and preamps any time soon.

Shame its a superb looking bass.

Musicman have Tim Commerford playing their basses so fairly similar I guess.

I can understand people wanting to play something that looks like what Flea uses but seriously - a Fender body and neck with an Aguilar copy of a Musicman circuit and pick up? Far easier to play a black and rosewood Stingray which is what Flea has been pictured with in the past, and will make an equally good sound, but with the legendary Musicman quality and playability.

I'm a big fan of Flea and was very tempted by the Mexican road worn Flea Jazz - I don't think I would go to the expense of a Custom Shop special of this bass though, particularly when a bog standard Stingray would do the job all day.

Edited by drTStingray

Paul Denman is my benchmark when it comes to Stingrays... his tone with Sade when I saw them live was thunderous. I don't really get the Flea tone chasing... but agree, Flea will always, for me, be associated with that MM pickup in the sweetspot... no matter what piece of wood or carbon hybrid it is attached to. I think the appeal for Fender Flea basses with the MM setup would actually limit sales to the die hard Flea fans... whereas the stacked knob jazz that is currently up for grabs is appealing to a far wider ranger of players - both Flea and non Flea fans. Interesting to see what Fender do... but I suspect they would build you a Flea bass as above... if you go via the custom shop... otherwise, just get a body, have it routed accordingly and painted and stick a Fender neck on it. Job done.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1486567969' post='3232862']
Paul Denman is my benchmark when it comes to Stingrays... his tone with Sade when I saw them live was thunderous. I don't really get the Flea tone chasing... but agree, Flea will always, for me, be associated with that MM pickup in the sweetspot... no matter what piece of wood or carbon hybrid it is attached to. I think the appeal for Fender Flea basses with the MM setup would actually limit sales to the die hard Flea fans... whereas the stacked knob jazz that is currently up for grabs is appealing to a far wider ranger of players - both Flea and non Flea fans. Interesting to see what Fender do... but I suspect they would build you a Flea bass as above... if you go via the custom shop... otherwise, just get a body, have it routed accordingly and painted and stick a Fender neck on it. Job done.
[/quote]

From Sade to Flea - just goes to show the versatility of a Stingray.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1486569737' post='3232880']
From Sade to Flea - just goes to show the versatility of a Stingray.
[/quote]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqo2DxUBb-o[/media]
Good meaty tones and then the bits of slap... really cuts nice.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0yI78cFeVs[/media]
Solo at 5 minute mark.

Anyway back to Flea.

Edited by EBS_freak

From the live videos I have seen/heard, Flea has his worst tone in years using this bass, in my opinion. Zero GAS for this.

The Mexican made sig thats available now is far more interesting to me as its modelled after his old Jazz bass he used before this custom Fender, which is an awesome bass.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1486592367' post='3233174']
The Jazz basses he used didn't work live at all imo, the Fenderay does do what he needs it too, I've seen him live with various basses other than a pukka Ray and I'm not really a fan of his live sound whatever he uses but I find that with most bass sounds that use FX tbh.
[/quote]
Flea is usually minimal on effects live though? Bit of overdrive for a couple songs but that's it. I didn't like his tone on the latest album but when I saw them live a few weeks back when he was using the FenderRay, his tone was awesome.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1486592367' post='3233174']
The Jazz basses he used didn't work live at all imo, the Fenderay does do what he needs it too, I've seen him live with various basses other than a pukka Ray and I'm not really a fan of his live sound whatever he uses but I find that with most bass sounds that use FX tbh.
[/quote]
Entirely disagree, but thats what opinions are for! :)

The Fender just sounds like a weak stingray or a weak modulus, literally cannot hear anything better about it.

He very rarely uses effects, by the way. Occasional clean boost, very occasional filter and very very occasional overdrive/fuzz.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1486596447' post='3233220']

Entirely disagree, but thats what opinions are for! :)

The Fender just sounds like a weak stingray or a weak modulus, literally cannot hear anything better about it.

He very rarely uses effects, by the way. Occasional clean boost, very occasional filter and very very occasional overdrive/fuzz.
[/quote]

No I agree, he'd sound better live with an off the hook Stingray.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1486627414' post='3233286']
If the £ / $ exchange rate ever got back anywhere near where it was a few years back it would certainly make an interesting project.

Warmoth Jazz body routed for a MM pickup, Lane Poor Legacy MM Pickup, 3 band EQ and a Status Graphite neck
[/quote]

I wonder if Modulus are ever going to do their aftermarket necks - I loved the dancing ladies design (or whatever it was called). I had a Status neck - so desperately wanted to like it... but bad experiences has somewhat tarnished the whole idea. :(

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1486642040' post='3233449']
... I had a Status neck - so desperately wanted to like it... but bad experiences has somewhat tarnished the whole idea. :(
[/quote]

Out of interest EBS_Freak what was your bad experience?
PM me if you'd rather not say publicly

[quote name='Killstarz' timestamp='1486656324' post='3233611']
I never understood why folk wanted to emulate Flea's tone. It works in the Chilis but at least to my ears it's not what I'd ever consider a 'good' tone. I mean, like everything it's a personal taste thing, I just never liked it much.
[/quote]

That goes for any player's "tone". What makes it good is the way it works in the arrangement of the song. Wanting to emulate anyone else tone is a complete waste of time IMO unless the rest of your band sound like the rest of the band whose bass players tone you are trying to emulate.

[quote name='Killstarz' timestamp='1486656324' post='3233611']
I never understood why folk wanted to emulate Flea's tone. It works in the Chilis but at least to my ears it's not what I'd ever consider a 'good' tone. I mean, like everything it's a personal taste thing, I just never liked it much.

Great player though, obviously.
[/quote]

I don't think many people buying a jazz bass the same colour were expecting instant flea tones, same would go for a FenderRay, one would do Jazz sounds and the other Stingray sounds of some description. I'd be interested in 5 string version of it, I like Fender Jazzes and I like Stingrays.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1486663257' post='3233695']
Another effing Flea Jazz post? What was wrong with the other one that had millions of BCers wetting themselves?
[/quote]

It's a totally different bass other than the silhouette of the body but hey don't let that put you off giving us your wisdom on the matter :)