Why become a member? ×

Removing tunes from head

MoonBassAlpha

I learned a set of 10 tunes (originals) for a one-off gig. We knew there would only be 1 rehearsal as the artist was visiting for a short solo tour, he's normally based in Berlin.
Got the set list in December and we all worked through it to learn it as best we could.
The gig went very well, artist was pleased, etc. but I just cant get the tunes out of my head now. I wake up with them going on, they visit at quiet times during the day, and at bedtime.
Any tips on clearing the tunes out?
Cheers
MBA

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1486549587' post='3232612']
I learned a set of 10 tunes (originals) for a one-off gig. We knew there would only be 1 rehearsal as the artist was visiting for a short solo tour, he's normally based in Berlin.
Got the set list in December and we all worked through it to learn it as best we could.
The gig went very well, artist was pleased, etc. but I just cant get the tunes out of my head now. I wake up with them going on, they visit at quiet times during the day, and at bedtime.
Cheers
MBA
[/quote]

I usually find I have to go and listen to them again. It's almost as if my memory's got a partial recollection of how they sound and is nagging me to go back and refresh that memory. Doesn't clear them out straight away, but makes the nuisance of their running 'round your head a bit more bearable until they do finally fade.

(For example, I've got a short snippet of [i]Straight Arrow [/i]by Spirit looping in my head this morning...any excuse to put that album on again!)

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1486551019' post='3232630'] The birdie song frees all! Just sing it in your head. Cleans out most ear worms! [/quote]

Thanks for that! Now I've got the f**king Birdie Song going round my head! :blink:

NANANANANANANAH! NANANANANANANAH! NANANANANANANAH! DER DER DER DER!

I find the easiest way to forget tunes is just learn more. It's becoming clear my brain only has room for so many. I'd struggle to remember any songs immediately from my last band's set (unless its ones I've done at a jam session more frequently since) and it was only just over a year ago I quit. I'm almost at the 'one set in, one set out' level now, probably age. How some of these 'walking juke box' guys do it I don't know.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1486651049' post='3233539']
Thanks for that! Now I've got the f**king Birdie Song going round my head! :blink:

[/quote]

Great and you just re-enforced it...now I have forgotten that banging my head on the wall hurts but does not remove said Birdie Song :dash1:

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1486549927' post='3232619']
I usually find I have to go and listen to them again. It's almost as if my memory's got a partial recollection of how they sound and is nagging me to go back and refresh that memory. Doesn't clear them out straight away, but makes the nuisance of their running 'round your head a bit more bearable until they do finally fade.
[/quote]

Yep, this is my solution too. You need to sort of indulge your brain, and then it will stop bothering you.

S.P.

Singing the national anthem out loud worked for awhile, which was recommended by a friend. Nobody has experienced an ear worm properly though until they've done at least one week of a show. Just completed round one of legally blonde, bursting into 'Gay or European' at work is highly unavisable.

[/quote]

"Agadoo" trumps the Birdie Song.

[/quote]

Works every time 😉

You are welcome!

Edited by gs_triumph

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1486549587' post='3232612']
Cheers
MBA
[/quote]

I've always been impressed by the ability of better musicians than myself to quickly learn and retain songs/solos etc. I always approach the learning of a favourite song with somewhat of a heavy heart, knowing that I am going to spend SO many hours listening to it over and over and ballsing it up, that by the time I can actually successfully play it i will have ruined any enjoyment of it forever...