Why become a member? ×

This tune is melting my brain ...

Davo-London

I wanted to like it, I honestly did but I think my brain just prefers much less complex rhythms & music that (to me) doesn't sound like the Chuckle Brothers moving Jools Holland (& all his associated instruments) out of a penthouse apartment where the lift is broken.
I did like the bass tone though.

I enjoyed that, very interesting take on the song - and a lovely upright tone, as you say. I didn't think the strange key change in the piano line during the second chorus really worked...maybe I've missed the point, but I didn't feel like it added anything to the song, just seemed to be dissonance for dissonance's sake. Very nice arrangement otherwise though!

Have just listened to their cover of [i]Teen Spirit [/i]as well - great stuff, though I shouldn't have made the mistake of looking at the comments beneath...!

Wow, love the bad plus, hadn't heard this lush version of one of my favourite pieces of music. Thanks for sharing.

The build ups they do are great, I love silence is the question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphDmAwBVE4

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1486550991' post='3232629']
I enjoyed that, very interesting take on the song - and a lovely upright tone, as you say. I didn't think the strange key change in the piano line during the second chorus really worked...maybe I've missed the point, but I didn't feel like it added anything to the song, just seemed to be dissonance for dissonance's sake. Very nice arrangement otherwise though!
[/quote]

I like their use of dissonance here, adding contrast to the beautiful harmonies of the non dissonant first chorus. Almost recreating the pharmacological bliss the first time, then the sickening withdrawal in the first verse immediately afterwards, and trying to chase the bliss again in the second chorus but instead just spiralling out of control. Like musical onomatopoeia (something which I think Pink Floyd do really well themselves).

I totally respect someone not liking what they've done to a sacred classic. Their philosophy is to bring Jazz back to pop. I like having to work at it and discovering the tune quite late. The Bad Plus do some killer David Bowie tunes and it's amazing that sometimes it just takes three notes to recognise a song.

I'm general not a fan of modern jazz drumming. This guy I can cope with - others are just too busy and disjointed with no groove!

Cheers
Davo

[quote name='Tech' timestamp='1486558738' post='3232741']
I like their use of dissonance here, adding contrast to the beautiful harmonies of the non dissonant first chorus. Almost recreating the pharmacological bliss the first time, then the sickening withdrawal in the first verse immediately afterwards, and trying to chase the bliss again in the second chorus but instead just spiralling out of control. Like musical onomatopoeia (something which I think Pink Floyd do really well themselves).
[/quote]

You should write reviews!