Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds!

Pinball

You won't find anyone at Epiphone or Gibson that will admit to having anything to do with the July Vintage Pro alluded to by that picture (which only appeared once on Facebook and made its way round from there). Fingers crossed, though. Apparently, it's based on the Classic Pro with different hardware. That would make sense. If it exists.

As for neck dive, get a strap that doesn't slide around on your shoulder and that'll sort that out. I find that if I use a polyester style strap then, yes, the headstock dives. A cloth-based strap (I use a Seymour Duncan which you can get off eBay USA, and which is super-long.

Neck-dive *is* a problem. If you need both hands free between songs to fight off all those girlies, for example, or to hold a glass of water whilst tweaking your sound at the amp or whatever. Strap material is the single biggest help, I've found. That and having the strap button at the neck "joint" rather than on the upper bout (which is just silly).

Choice of machine head makes a difference. I recently replaced the Grovers on one of my Gs with lighter Wilkinsons, and that helped a lot.

All the Epiphones have a thicker body than Gibsons, by at least several millimetres. That includes the Classic Pro, and so it's consequently heavier than a Gibson. It is, however, very well built and eminently giggable. In fact, I've been gigging mine ahead of the Gibsons recently. Very reliable.

There is no way on Dog's earth that it approaches the Gibson (mine are 1990 and 1991) for quality and playability, though. The Gibson is more slinky, lighter to the touch and more responsive.

The Tokai TB48 is a totally different bass which shares only the basic body shape. The neck and nut-width are much more like a Precision than a Thunderbird. Mine lives in the attic.

The Pro-IV is also a different animal, being active with a different bridge and weighing a ton. I don't like mine at all, and it also lives in the attic.

The cheap Epiphone also has a wider nut (apparently some have 1.5" though). Because of this, and the jack on the front of the body ... yep, attic.

The TV silver limited edition is a nice bass, with a much more T-bird-like neck and a good strong sound. The finish is a bit dodgy, though. Way too patchy.

And the Epi Blackbird is splendid. I often gig mine. A lot lighter than other Epis, and no fannying about with knobs. On/off switch is all you get. Grand. :)

As a final note, I like the 3-point bridge. It's part of what a Thunderbird is all about. I tried the Hipshot bridge but found it to be an enormous slab of metal which made very little difference to my sound. So it lives in a box now. I like to feel the 3-pointer under the edge of my hand, which is now suitably calloused on the fleshy bit at the base of my pinky. :)

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1488208933' post='3246793']
As a final note, I like the 3-point bridge. It's part of what a Thunderbird is all about. I tried the Hipshot bridge but found it to be an enormous slab of metal which made very little difference to my sound. So it lives in a box now. I like to feel the 3-pointer under the edge of my hand, which is now suitably calloused on the fleshy bit at the base of my pinky. :)
[/quote]

Try the Babicz. It's a joy.

And the Epi Blackbird is splendid. I often gig mine. A lot lighter than other Epis, and no fannying about with knobs. On/off switch is all you get. Grand. :)
[/quote]

Isn't the epi blackbird a bolt on?

I did almost get a blackbird once, it would have been a bad idea but it was very tempting!

Aye, the Epi Blackbird has a bolt-on neck. However, it has the same 1.5" nut width as a proper Bird and - like the Gibsons - possesses a more lightweight "slinkiness" than other Epis (including the Classic Pro).

I've not tried a Goth, but I'd certainly be interested to give one a go.

NJ - I might well try one when the urge for something a little different gets to me. But I've found that the 3-point suits me fine. If only the saddles didn't fly off and disappear into the darkness when you bust a string ... :)

[/quote]

Technically it's not. The 3-point bridge was only introduced with the 1976 re-issue model.

An original 60s Thunderbirds will have the separate 2-point bridge and tail-piece.

Came today. Lovely thing. Fretboard needed a bit of oil but now looks and plays very nice. No neck dive to speak of and I'm using the worst strap I have (the rest have straplocks and obviously the bass doesn't yet).
Only thing to be changed is strings, so any suggestions would be appreciated (do have an unopened set of Daddario Chromes as well as unopened Rotosound Flats).

Edited by Harryburke14

Just got a classic IV pro and I love it. No neck dive but I did do this mod which stopped the bass flipping forward which would have gotten on my nerves. This stops you wrapping the strap around the body which I think looks a bit meh. Othwr may have come to the same conclusion but I thoight I'd share it anyway. The gold is temporary...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1488714566' post='3251186']
At the bass show yesterday I got reacquainted with the sandberg 48 - need to get one of those one day, especially now I see they come in 5s!
[/quote]

I was looking at one the other day in PMT. Was also going great until they said it would cost me 2 grand to take home...

I am still very puzzled as to why the vintage model shown earlier in the thread is still not showing on the epiphone web site under news or new products. Surely it would have been announced by now!
I am planning a new purchase in the summer and this was high on my list of ones to try.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1488966260' post='3253254']
I am still very puzzled as to why the vintage model shown earlier in the thread is still not showing on the epiphone web site under news or new products. Surely it would have been announced by now!
I am planning a new purchase in the summer and this was high on my list of ones to try.
[/quote]

I wouldn't get too worried...apparently it's not due until summer anyhow and given that Epiphone promoted the last reissue by doctoring photos of the then current Gibson model, don't believe anything until until you see it hanging in your local musical store.