Why become a member? ×

Ampeg recommendations

Clarky72

So last night my class D GK was out of action so I took my Ampeg SVT-II to the gig for the first time in a few years. Wow. It sounded awesome, like bass used to...

It weighs a ton though.

Any recommendations of one of the lighter Ampeg (not that tiny PF thingy) that has anything like a classic Ampeg tone??

I was wondering about the SVT*-PRO lot but I've never tried one out, just read a lot about people bad mouthing them constantly saying they're no SVTs...

I'm never expecting anything to sound quite like the SVT or SVT-II but something close would be great. I don't really want to have to add another pedal just to get the tone.

I did use a BA500 combo and was really impressed. What amp is in that?

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1486305536' post='3230699']
With the PF its just reliability, they've had bad press for dying and going pop.... :(
[/quote]

According to the very extensive threads on the other forum the issue was only with the early 500s. The 350 and 800 were fine and the 500 issues have been sorted since 2013 apparently.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1486310195' post='3230770']
I had the SVT 3 Pro, and liked the tone but seemed a little lacking in volume to me.
Think I remember someone on here posting how to set them up to get round this though?
( sadly after I'd sold mine).
[/quote]

Apparently turn everything to 11 :-)

having owned a svt cl for a few years and having played some of the others (pf500,pro 5 and 3 ) the closest i ever got to emulating that sound was through a old peavey mark 6 xp amp using a tech 21 VT bass........i think any old muddy yet punchy amp with a VT is a good bet :-)

Obviously absolutely nowt will ever truly sound as beautiful as an all tube svt ;-) but as a weight vs tone .............you can't beat the VT into any old loud amp

Edited by danbowskill

I have a pf350 as a spare for my svt classic, it's not bad for the money and weight difference. Just about loud enough for hard rock and does a passable impression through a sansamp. Just misses the bounce and growl of the classic head but it's saved my arse a few times!

I use an SVT Classic for bigger gigs but the majority of shows these days don't justify me breaking my back my shifting it too and from my truck.
For the last 18 months I've been using a pair of B-100R combos. Amazingly cool amps with tons of vntage Ampeg tone but they are also a bit on the heavy side.
So a couple of weeks ago I landed a PF350 and 115HE from the Portaflex series. All I can say is that I adore it so far! So bloody simple! Keeps up at rehearsals with two guitars and a loud drummer. Am taking it to a couple of gigs this weekend.
I also have a pair of VT Deluxe's also (one on each board) so usually have one in front of my amp and use the DI for PA support. If I want a slightly bigger tube sound from the PF or B100r, I just click it on and boom - SVT a-plenty (almost perfect clone)
The VT Deluxe is also perfect for taking big, old, 'boring' amps and making them sound like a sweet SVT rig. I love going to shows where there is a shared backline (usually an Ashdown or a Fender Rumble) and watching the bass players scratch their heads and play with eq knobs etc, trying to get the same tone with their rigs. haha.
The VT is a must.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1486305402' post='3230698']
I did use a BA500 combo and was really impressed. What amp is in that?
[/quote]

I had a BA500 combo and it was indeed a fantastic sounding amp but at about 95lbs it wasn't particularly portable so I did this to it to make it more manageable:

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Richard_Pain/media/stuff/IMAG1580_zpsnpazhbe2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Richard_Pain/stuff/IMAG1580_zpsnpazhbe2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Took the amp out and put it into the head box from a cheap Behringer BVT4500H head then cut down the cab and re-tollexed the top to make a separate 2x10 cab.

The pre-amp is basically the same as the SVT450H head but with a different power section (500W at 2 Ohms rather than 450W at 4 Ohms).
Not sure how similar they would sound given the different power sections but might still be worth checking out the 450H if one comes up for sale.

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1486316521' post='3230836']
having owned a svt cl for a few years and having played some of the others (pf500,pro 5 and 3 ) the closest i ever got to emulating that sound was through a old peavey mark 6 xp amp using a tech 21 VT bass........i think any old muddy yet punchy amp with a VT is a good bet :-)

Obviously absolutely nowt will ever truly sound as beautiful as an all tube svt ;-) but as a weight vs tone .............you can't beat the VT into any old loud amp
[/quote]They sound better with Valves than Tubes!

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1486420199' post='3231706']
Anyone had experience of B-5R or B2-RE? Light, solid state, not class D and would potentially beef up with a VT...
[/quote]

After that old BA500 died on me I actually initially replaced it with a B-5R (they run down to 2 Ohms which suited the speakers I was already running in the picture above).
Unfortunately My Hermes broke it delivering it to me (luckily it was sent fully insured though) so I never actually got to hear if it would have made a worthy replacement.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1486420199' post='3231706']
Anyone had experience of B-5R or B2-RE? Light, solid state, not class D and would potentially beef up with a VT...
[/quote]

Still don't get the idea of buying a full on bass head, only to stuff a VT pedal in front of it to get the tone you need.
Surely any decent power amp would do the job?

You could also look out for either of the Ampeg PortaBass amps: PB250 or PB800. Both very nice flexible amps, with a definite "ampeg sound", although generally overlooked today and tend to sell quite cheaply secondhand. I also have an SVT2-Pro, but as a matter of convenience, I have tended to rely heavily on a PB250 for most gigs in recent years. It can take pedals very nicely if you're looking for additional dirt and it also does a good job with double bass.. PB250 is 150w @ 8ohm or 250w @ 4ohm. Plenty loud enough for most of my gigs, with a DI out the back for anything with a big PA.

The PB800 is a dual channel and more powerful version 550w @ 4ohm or 800w @ 2ohm.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1487633093' post='3241452']
So after everyone's advice I've decided to go for a SVT 3 non pro and I'll get a sansamp vt to boost tubeyness. If anyone knows of one going, please let me know! Thanks :)
[/quote]

You wont be disappointed mate :)
Let us know how it sounds!