Why become a member? ×

Service - GAK

Musicman20

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1486384793' post='3231252']
Does anybody send the link to these threads to the offenders or their customer service depts?? Lets them know that they're not getting away with poor service and that in the end their reputation and sales suffer.
[/quote]

Dont be silly, we are British. We bitch to our family and friends and decide never to darken the offending companies door ever again. Job done.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1486384793' post='3231252']
Does anybody send the link to these threads to the offenders or their customer service depts?? Lets them know that they're not getting away with poor service and that in the end their reputation and sales suffer.
[/quote]

Why bother? The only thing they care about is the money. If their sales drop, they'll have a sale or a push to sell more but the service would remain the same. Bad service is countered by cheaper prices. That's how the Music Retail industry works because we all buy from where it's cheapest, then complain about the service after.

If we valued service and paid a bit extra for it, the culture would improve in no time!

Edited by skej21

It's all a bit of a dual-edged sword. A bricks and mortar company gets it wrong, a buyer understandably then goes to Amazon to buy musical gear and eventually said bricks and mortar shop goes out of business. Local economy suffers, Amazon dodge their taxes in UK so UK economy suffers too and it becomes a viscious circle.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1486395354' post='3231397']
It's all a bit of a dual-edged sword. A bricks and mortar company gets it wrong, a buyer understandably then goes to Amazon to buy musical gear and eventually said bricks and mortar shop goes out of business. Local economy suffers, Amazon dodge their taxes in UK so UK economy suffers too and it becomes a viscous circle.
[/quote]

I would happily use brick and mortar stores more often if they just ramped up the customer service....honestly.

I am not sure how the Amazon tax situation applies to products that are sold on behalf of a brick and mortar store but sent using Amazon's service....best of both worlds. The store actually give their stock to Amazon I believe? That is how it has worked with the last few pedals I've bought. It makes returns easier as I can just re-wrap and go online to get it sent back. It usually also means you get a brand new product so I barely ever send them back.

I've tried to use HMV's actual stores to buy vinyl recently, and I still do, but they cannot compete with some of Amazon's aggressive pricing, such as 'pre-order this vinyl and you pay the lowest price it drops to, even if it then goes up'....I have Bowie vinyl on order that is seriously good value because of this.

Hmmm!

Edited by Musicman20

Good update anyway - GAK have arranged to have it picked up and are swapping it for a new one via the courier tomorrow.

So, if it all works out, I'll be fairly happy with the product itself. I just think they need to beef up their customer service skils and perhaps improve their returns service/check products when returned from customers.

skej21

It's not a bad idea complaining here. Few years back one of the English chains were advertising "free UK mainland delivery",only Scotland wasn't thought part
of the UK mainland :o
This prompted several replies from North of the border and couple hours later the chain's head man was posting saying sorry and he'd now changed the courier.
This was 3pm on a Friday so venting here can work.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1486376255' post='3231148']
This is what I feel has happened to me, albeit a pedal. I think it is no doubt a floor model or a previous return. I don't understand why they don't keep a closer eye on returns and make sure they come back immaculate...
[/quote]

Because they're selling in an online marketplace, customers can return an item for a refund for any reason up to 28 days after they're received it. Some people will use an item once before deciding to return. Some people need more time. Some people abuse the system. It happens. But companies should make sure their outgoing stock is in good condition. Sometimes they will take a hit when the returns system is abused.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1486376255' post='3231148']

This is what I feel has happened to me, albeit a pedal. I think it is no doubt a floor model or a previous return. I don't understand why they don't keep a closer eye on returns and make sure they come back immaculate...and then decide if they should go on display as a display model/return. The website should specify, as Andertons do on their site.

The icing on the cake was when the stock presets of the pedal were nothing like they are meant to be. Clearly someone had messed around with it and decided they want to return it and left some of the bits out of the return package. Instead of GAK dealing with that, they've essentially passed the hassle on to me!

I have now heard from the returns dept, so hopefully should have a new one asap.

I know it's a bit rough of me to cause a fuss, but it's just the time organising returns/re-packing, emailing, waiting for new items, etc....it could have easier been saved had it been checked!

As a total opposite experience, ordered a pedal on Friday from Amazon, arrived Sunday, brand new, free delivery for a pedal which is only £58! No issues.
[/quote]

It's not rough at all. I have dealt with GAK on 3 or 4 occasions. One for for a GK amp head (you can probably search for the thread) and it took me complaining on here to really get any level of what I deem adequate service for such an expensive purchase.

To be fair, in the end they were very helpful and ended up extending the warranty until 12 months from the date it was sent back to me. It did take speaking to the store manager though!

Edited by Damonjames

Thanks for all the responses.

Finally have a brand new pedal with me now, and the old one is on it's way back.

Yep, I was right, bits and pieces were missing from the box....this one is brand new.

Makes me doubt I'd use them again, despite now having what I want...this could have been saved had they just sent a new one originally.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1486565211' post='3232820']
...this could have been saved had they just sent a new one originally.
[/quote]

It was probably an easy mistake to make, but like you said in the OP, all they had to do was apologise and sort it out promptly and it would have been fine