Why become a member? ×

Wearing gloves whilst playing bass

jonunders

[quote name='jonunders' timestamp='1486041459' post='3228694']
Hi

I have noted that some bass players like to play wearing gloves. Why is this? What advantages, if any, are there and if so what are they made from, would fibres catch in the strings.

Jono
[/quote]

If you are referring to Scott Devine from Scott's Bass Lessons, he wears them due to a medical condition called Focal Dystonia - the gloves stop his fingers from trembling.

Cant comment any other players.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1486041739' post='3228699']
Here's Scott Devine's gloves story: [url="http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/odds-and-sods/the-gloves"]http://www.scottsbas...sods/the-gloves[/url]
[/quote]

Am I invisible or summat? :ph34r:

I suppose most people go straight for Scott's reason, but there are plenty more. Some bassists are allergic to Nickel and thus use gloves to act as a barrier. I've heard of some who suffer from sticky / clammy hands, for whatever reason and like to use gloves to keep things dry when playing. This is actually quite a wise idea too because if you are playing long, sweaty gigs and digging in way too hard all the time, keeping the fingers dry can go a way to helping the prevention of blisters.

I've never tried using gloves so can't comment on experiences personally.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1486072869' post='3229108']
Anyone noticed any lack of heft when wearing gloves?
[/quote]

Well, it all changed when they stopped using the much heavier thread. New technology gloves just don't have what the old ones do best...