Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Preamps. Are they as good as the reviews?

Jorduan

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1486462645' post='3231932']
I used to use a fairly scooped sound with a Sansamp BDDI, but if I were to go back playing hardcore and punk, (I don't play the slower heavier stuff unless it's more like QOTSA dirty bluesy rock) I'd use a Sansamp BDDI (the latest one with mids helps!) or the VT Bass pedal...I really think Tech 21 nailed the tones of slightly slightly hairy notes all the way to much more grind.

Personally, I think Darkglass need WAY more demo videos with bassists using Fender Ps, Js, Rics and Stingrays...you'd be surprised how many heavier bands just using a P bass and have some hair on the notes. The P bass just 'sits' in the lower mids properly to me. Using much more scooped tones from dual pickup active Dingwalls is pretty niche, despite the popularity of Dingwall in the heavy genre recently.

I still think one of the best metal bass tones I've heard is Billy Gould's old aggressive tones....that is one of the best examples of a heavier overdriven bass that cuts through the recordings like a knife! Very punchy and tight. Funnily enough Billy now uses Darkglass! I'd like to hear his tone with it.
[/quote]

Talking of a Pbass with a DG. You can hear my USA P with a B7K here http://shadowsintolight.bandcamp.com/track/beautiful-monsters

I have a B3K and a Billy Sheehan (original). I think that the best thing to do in the circumstances is to forget the marketing blurb, glowing reviews and Youtube videos and instead just try and get an opportunity to try the pedals.

I must say that I don't really rate the EBS pedal that highly. Yes it the looping system is great but as said above the overdrive and clean is out of phase and you have to create a bit of a spaghetti junction pedal board situation to put it right. It might work for Billy Sheehan but it didn't really work for me.

I currently use a the B3K alone with an old Sansamp bass driver to act as an EQ if I am using a passive Precision.It sounds fine on lower gain settings and the Darkglass blend options are some of the best I have used. If I think that the sound is a bit scooped I can add mids back in at my amp. If I am using an active bass, I don't feel that I need an additional EQ on top of the instrument EQ and amp EQ,

I have seen loads of Darkglass videos with traditional Jazz basses or Precision basses. Yes the B*K stuff seems to be marketed towards the metal crowd, but it can do other sounds as well.

I have the Duality pedal as well and absolutely love it. It is a completely over the top fuzz.

I play in a metal band in Manchester and use the B3k into a sansamp RBI live and a B7K into a sansamp bass driver in the rehearsal room / demoing. I've just spent the afternoon A / B ing the two setups and personally the I found the B7K into the bass driver the best overall.

For me, the B3K works best with the sansamp rather than on its own and although when I bought the B7K I thought it could replace both pedals, I've found that I prefer the extra oomph the sansamp gives me when paired with the B7K.

t's worth noting the EQ on the sansamp is flat with the drive at 10 o'clock and the blend as 12o'clock.

[quote name='Jorduan' timestamp='1487545312' post='3240724']
Just to put this to bed - today I splashed out on the BK3. First impressions are very good, a big upgrade from what I had before! I am already intriguing by the BK7 though!!
[/quote]

Woukd even cool to hear more about how it turns out.