Why become a member? ×

Pulsatile tinnitus

Basszilla

Has anyone here had the misfortune of suffering what's known as pulsatile tinnitus?

About three weeks back i was sat on the sofa and all of a sudden a rapid thumping started in my right ear. It came off the back of a weird virus I'd had over tbe christmas period, but I'm not 100% sure that it's definitely related to that.

I've tried two different antibiotics and also otomize with no luck.

I always wear ear plugs when playing with the band. Also the thumping noise doesn't correlate with my heartbeat. It's much more rapid.

I'm hoping that it will fade away over time. The unfortunate thing is my GP doesn't want to refer me to ENT for another two - three weeks. It's very frustrating even though I've had it non stop for three weeks.

I get something like this occasionally. Might last a few minutes each time. Seems to coincide with stress and the more I worry about it the worse it gets. Lasts a day or two at most.

Sorry not much help. Didn't even know it had a name, thought it was just me.

Well I'm definitely going through a stressful period which probably hasn't helped it, though I don't think it's the root cause.

I've got my first baby on it's way in 8 weeks and my band's new album is coming out on vinyl at the same time. Plus I'm working full time and trying to juggle everything and keep everyone happy.

Yes it's called pulsatile tinnitus. The doctor diagnosed it last week. It's loud enough to keep me awake at night and nothing calms it down.

Just hoping it will be gone hopefully sooner rather than later!

Maybe a diagnosis and knowing other people have had it and it goes away will relax you a bit.

Get yourself and your partner booked into one of those new age nonsense meditation groups. Pretend it's for child birth techniques and your partner suggested it if anyone laughs. ;)

Why wait another two weeks? You're bothered enough by it already it seems. ENT or audiologist appointment asap, but keep your md in the loop.
Tinnitus won't kill you and with calmness and practice it's usually manageable. The stress relief course is good advice! With all of those wonderful events coming up times will be busy enough, so make sure you enjoy them.
See if there is an organisation or platform for tinnitus patients near you and take everything you learn with a pinch of salt but they might have the most useful advice.

[quote name='Basszilla' timestamp='1485874615' post='3227400']
I know! According to google I'm about to die! 😂

Seriously though, some people never recover from this condition and they have my utmost sympathy having experienced it first hand!

Here's hoping for a recovery in the not too distant future!
[/quote]

Tinnitus and Pulsative Tinnitus are completely different things. It doesn't sound like Pulsative Tinnitus is permanent, it's not caused by nerve damage.