Why become a member? ×

12" Cab Diary Continued

stevie

58 minutes ago, stevie said:

I hope you haven't spent your money, @stewblack because things are progressing more quickly than I'd expected. The cab kits are likely to be here early next week - probably before everything else is ready. If you can collect, you can probably have your kit next week if you don't mind waiting for the other bits and pieces.

I don't mind waiting, I'll pm you we'll sort something out. 

• Like 1

I've just uploaded a new Parts list with info on the grilles. Unfortunately, I've also noticed that tinypic has gone out of business, which means that we've lost lots of the photos from this thread. I'll try to upload the assembly photos as soon as I can, as I'm sure some people will want to refer to them during their builds.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

I fancy doing mine in TurboBlue - does anyone want to share a 2.5Kg tub of that colour, no 1Kg tubs to be had I can find. Would 800g be enough to do one cab ?

I ordered a 1kg tub, they said it was a 3 month lead time and it arrived about 18hrs after ordering !

edit: link here http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=TUFFCAB1_TBL&browsemode=manufacturer

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Thanks 1

Hi Hashmash,

I'm organising two batches of ten cab kits. The first ten are all taken and are about to be delivered to their builders. The second batch will be available around the end of October. Some of these have already been reserved but there are still some left. If you'd like one, just send me a pm and I'll put you on the list.

Stevie

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

Update: I now have all the cab kits and they look lovely! The Celestion compression drivers will be with me on Friday, by which time I should have some of the crossovers ready.

Anyone wanting to collect is welcome to do so at the weekend. I'm going to start sending boxes of goodies out next Monday. It'll take me a few days to pack everybody's orders up. I just hope the local supermarkets and stores have enough spare cardboard boxes.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As promised, I've ordered another 10 cabinet kits from my CNC supplier. I've sorted out the minor niggles that cropped up on the last batch, like the position of the handle holes (thanks to Luke for the drawing) and the width of the rebates.

The kits should be available mid-December - so call it an early Christmas present to yourself or a project to keep yourself occupied during your Christmas break. About five Basschatters have already reserved kits from this second batch (thanks for your patience!), which means that five are still available.

There won't be any more when these are gone.

While I wait for delivery, I'm going to order up various smaller items (handles, screws, feet, wadding, etc) so that you don't have to order from lots of different places. When I've got it organised, I'll put the information in the Parts List on page one of this thread. You will have to order the Chinese cabinet corners, however, and I'd suggest you do that now. The ad for eBay item number: 39235207159 claims to ship from Ireland - so you might like to order those.

I've now sorted the grille fixing situation to my satisfaction, which means that the grille frame is no longer necessary - saving time and weight. I'll supply the fittings free with the kit if you ask me for them. There is a possibility that I could buy a batch of aluminium grilles and get them powder coated, but that will depend on the costs I'm quoted. I'll let you know.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have the plans for this build that they could post? It seems they are all missing from the thread. I'd be keen to have a go at this build (though the electronics part is a bit daunting… much more comfortable with the woodworking).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This thread (and its ancestors and offspring) have been really helpful for me in planning how to refit this 60 litre 1x12 cab I've got - thanks very much to all concerned!

Maybe I missed this or maybe it was in an image link that no longer works, but were the crossover details ever shared for the Beyma woofer, and/or for the Faital with the P-Audio HF unit? Could anyone point me at them and/or repost them please?

Yes, I published the crossover details for the Beyma 12 with a P-Audio tweeter, but since then P. Audio decided to change the diaphragm from titanium to phenolic. I've no idea how much that changed the performance of the tweeter, but it certainly will be different (and very likely worse), which meants that the published crossover won't work properly with current versions of the tweeter.

There is a neodymium version of that tweeter with a titanium diaphragm, which I duly purchased to test. Unfortunately, it was nothing like my original ferrite one (and also nothing like the published spec sheet). So I sent it back and gave up on tweeters.

The next design mated the Beyma 12 with the P.Audio PH-170 horn and a Celestion CDX1-1445 compression driver. That's a high-performance, low cost combination. I published the crossover too, but it got lost due to Tiny Pic's shenanigans. If it's of any interest, I can repost it.

Edited by stevie