Why become a member? ×

12" Cab Diary Continued

stevie

The waiting list is starting to build for the second batch. So, JohnA, just send me a pm and I'll put you on the list. If we do get to 20, I think I'll have to call a halt there.

I've been taking a crash course in CNC routing. Luckily, Chimike has kindly agreed to sort out the CNC files for me, which should ensure a more reliable and cheaper result. This is definitely becoming a group project, and it's very good to see Basschatters chipping in to help where they can.

Please keep your woodglue warm and your clamps at the ready. This will happen. And it'll be worth the wait.

• Thanks 1

On the matter of finishing, one of the beauties of rolling your own is that you can choose the finish and colour you prefer. If you're using paint, which I think most people will, you can easily change the colour to suit your mood, or if you see something you like better - not something you would want to do to your expensive Bergantino.

I notice, for example, that Tuffcab is available in orange. So that's an easy way to match the cab to your Orange amp. I've been waiting for Blue Aran to get some light grey Tuff Cab back into stock, but it's not happening. So I'm going to order some of the new matt black Tuff Cab and use some pigment to make it the colour I want. I want a Marshall-ish tolex kind of finish. I'll post the results, as I think that could be a useful option for some.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/12/2018 at 16:45, stevie said:

The hole for the other horn proved to be slightly too big, but some fibreglass filler came to the rescue. In the drawings, which Ghostbass is very kindly reworking for us as we speak, the horn is located more centrally on the baffle, as that is acoustically the best place for it. I also decided to position it vertically to improve the dispersion to the player's ears when standing up close to the cab.

4iorow.jpg

So - the handle is fitted and I've foamed the grille support.

I've searched through this topic but haven't found any reference to where to get the foam grille support. Can anybody pitch in here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharkfinger said:

I've searched through this topic but haven't found any reference to where to get the foam grille support. Can anybody pitch in here?

It's in the Parts List on page one of the thread:

"For the metal grille:

11mm x 15mm planed softwood x 2400mm. B&Q. They normally have it in stock but it’s not on their website.  Also available from other wood merchants. 12mm x 15mm is also OK                                           £3.00

Foam tape  1mm x 10-12mm  – can also be used for the horn instead of TUFFGAS20. UK Ebay supplier item no. 163731460245             £2.59"

The trick is to use a picture frame support that's not too wide - a wide support just looks cheap. And to go for 1mm-thick foam strip - anything thicker pokes through the holes in the grille and look cheap too.

• Thanks 1

Here's an update.

Mike aka Chimike has now produced some really nice CNC drawings for us. I used these to approach a number of suppliers for quotes (again). I've now selected a company and ordered a single cab, which I'll check thoroughly before ordering the first batch ot ten.

I'm not expecting any problems, as Mike has managed to produce a cab from the drawings on his own mini-CNC machine and tells me it goes together perfectly. If he sees this, perhaps he'll post a few photos on the thread.

I'm about to go on holiday for ten days, but the cab will be delivered when I get back, i.e. around 12 August. I'm therefore expecting to send the first cab kit, complete with all the parts that I can supply, to Funkle by the end of week beginning 12 August.

If everything goes to plan, I'll be sending the first batch of ten out at the beginning of September. Orders for a second batch are building up, and I'd expect those to go out at the beginning of October.

I've spent some time trying to sort a grille out for everyone. I managed to find some very nice expanded metal, which is fairly lightweight, but I've been struggling to cut it to size. My tin snips aren't good enough and a jigsaw proved useless. So my next step is either to get a local engineering company to cut them up, or to do the job myself with an angle grinder. I'm not a big fan of angle grinders, as I value my body parts, but I'll be looking into it when I get back from my hols.

I really appreciate everyone's patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stevie  we all appreciate your hard work. I had a financial mishap so a few more weeks to rebuild my stash is actually very welcome. 

Can you message me with the cost for the pieces you're supplying (or post here if you prefer) so I know my target. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that, Stew. I'll  send you a pm with the costs.

Bear in mind that you can actually build the cab in two stages to spread the cost if you prefer. Stage one would be to fit the Faital Pro driver only. That'll give you a working cab. You'd just have to fit a blanking piece of wood behind the horn cutout - not a very difficult job. The Faital driver works well on its own.

Stage two would be to fit the horn, compression driver and crossover. That would give you the complete cab.

Don't feel you are committed to spending money you don't have.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevie said:

I've spent some time trying to sort a grille out for everyone. I managed to find some very nice expanded metal, which is fairly lightweight, but I've been struggling to cut it to size. My tin snips aren't good enough and a jigsaw proved useless. So my next step is either to get a local engineering company to cut them up, or to do the job myself with an angle grinder. I'm not a big fan of angle grinders, as I value my body parts, but I'll be looking into it when I get back from my hols.

Thanks for all your work on this. A water jet cutter might be the tool for the job.

Just did a big order for lots of bits from the parts list. Only things left to pay for are the Celestion compression driver, the flatpack kit, and the crossover. Once @stevie gets back from holiday I’ll order those from him and I’ll find out the final costs. 

I’m about £225 in so far before the final 3 parts above. 

Whoops, just realised I haven’t yet accounted for the grill and the stand off for the grill. Also the badge. I’ll add those costs in once I know them. 

Pete

Edited by funkle

2 hours ago, funkle said:

Just did a big order for lots of bits from the parts list. Only things left to pay for are the Celestion compression driver, the flatpack kit, and the crossover. Once @stevie gets back from holiday I’ll order those from him and I’ll find out the final costs. 

I’m about £225 in so far before the final 3 parts above. 

Whoops, just realised I haven’t yet accounted for the grill and the stand off for the grill. Also the badge. I’ll add those costs in once I know them. 

Pete

I've also just placed my order. Was a fair bit less than yours though, so you must have got a load of the other bits? 
I've gone with Tuffcab but in a colour that is going to take them a while to get... and I'm going to do a cloth grill... mainly because I can.

We should start one build thread for all of us... 

• Like 1

Weird. Not sure how it could be much cheaper. I did pay £15 for clamps, which is extra to the parts list on the first page of the thread....

The major expense was the stuff from Blue Aran, and I joined their club to get the wee discount. 

How much cheaper did you get all your stuff? I can still cancel various orders...but genuinely am a little mystified...

3 minutes ago, funkle said:

Weird. Not sure how it could be much cheaper. I did pay £15 for clamps, which is extra to the parts list on the first page of the thread....

The major expense was the stuff from Blue Aran, and I joined their club to get the wee discount. 

How much cheaper did you get all your stuff? I can still cancel various orders...but genuinely am a little mystified...

It might be because I didn't buy everything ... I'll PM you... 

• Like 1

Quick question. Parts are starting to trickle in. However most of them don’t have screws to attach them. (The handle, feet, etc). I’m going to use the t-nuts/bolts for the Faital driver, and I assume I can use them for the horn/compression driver also if desired. However for the other bits of kit, does anyone have a recommendation for the necessary screws? 

(I’d like everything to be black hardware, so a source of suitable black screws would be ideal...)

Thanks again all

Pete