Why become a member? ×

12" Cab Diary Continued

stevie

12 hours ago, stevie said:

It's all good. Now everyone knows to treat the felt with care - something I should have mentioned.

I think you suggest a U-shaped piece for the first part (bottom?) - do you think that doing this as three bits would be safer for a clumsy git like me? Or should I stop being pathetic and just wait till I get the stuff and decide then? "Just man up" is an acceptable answer.

• Haha 1

So one of the nice things about being a graphic designer, apart from being good at design (as that’s still to be determined) is you end up learning enough about processes to know the best way to get things done for different projects. 

So I asked Stevie if he wanted help with a badge for the cab. Partly as I wanted a nice badge for my own cab and partly as, if done right, it’s wee details like this can lift a project from very good to great. Like a most the other details stevie has built into this cab we  want to try and do it to a high quality. I also wanted it lightweight- a pewter cast badge would be daft on a cab with neo drivers.

The first problem we have is the small volume number, while die cast plastic badges, like the big manufacturers use, would be nice - it’s hardly cost effective to make 1000 badges in China to just use 10. 

Equally you could get a small batch of something from the UK, but the cost goes through the roof. Stevie set a budget for it, which bluntly was a bit more than I would have wanted to pay for a cosmetic thing that erm half of you might not like. So - instead my aim was to get a badge for the grill, a sticker for the gap on the handle and a sticker for the back for about the price of a pint at a music venue.

Design is subjective right? And what do you call this thing... we started off on this idea that actually some of Stevies other passions could help name it- like it can be as abstract as anything as long as it’s memorable, pronounceable and means something to Stevie at least. Stevies wife’s maiden name didn’t sound rock and roll enough so we ended up talking about his work as a German translator and throwing random German words at each other. This was quite good as I also enjoy German culture (I’m there now), and design - and it’s the centenary year of the Bauhaus. So Stevies there geeking out on German cab names and I’m geeking out on German design and it’s viele spaß!

luckily for you the long compound nouns got dropped, and Stevie started trialing BCcab as a name in PMs with some of you. Bass Chat cab obviously, without it needing to say that, and able to say it without sounding like an idiot, and I think there may have been a second meaning but I forget what that is. So then BCcab - v3. 

I still got to geek on with my Bauhaus- sorry!! :D 

I tried to come up with something that would work with almost any colour scheme and layout, but be distinctive enough that to be worth doing. Not so small that it wouldn’t be noticed, but not so big it took over the cab.

so we’ve got a vinyl sticker for the back plate, a domed sticker for the handle and a subliminated aluminium plate 100x40mm for the front. (Soft enough to drill for screws if you need) - and it’s all just going to add £3.60 to the cost. 

(if you are building the cab and not getting the flat pack Stevie will have a few extra sets you might be able to convince him to sell you if you cover postage too) 

So the other day I got the first pre production picture of the badge prototype made up. (Colours are off a wee bit on this pic) 

im excited if no one else. 

hknoodhgkffnbepj.jpeg

• Like 9

Hey guys, I know we're going to be putting these together ourselves and can please ourselves as to how we finish them, but how do folk feel about making the first run the same colour? Just as a way of keeping the very first Stevie Specials identifiably similar. 

Well Stevie is going grey with metal grill and I’m trying for a dark blue with leather corners and fabric grill... so I think it’s more exciting if we build beautiful to our own eyes... 

plus my wife will only let me build it if it ends up as pretty as my green Mesa walkabout...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

I used black Tuff Cab on my pre CNC cab but I am considering covering it with this. https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/heavy-duty-texturised-nylon?variant=8359083459

it is much tougher than any of the traditional cabinet covers, comes in a range of colours ( including a nice TE green), 

Let me know when you work out how much you need, how to cut and fix it would you! 

9 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I used black Tuff Cab on my pre CNC cab but I am considering covering it with this. https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/heavy-duty-texturised-nylon?variant=8359083459

it is much tougher than any of the traditional cabinet covers, comes in a range of colours ( including a nice TE green), 

Interesting, I was researching what fabrics would make a good cover - tough but thin and without much stretch was what I found out.

There’s a place in our village that sells secondhand stuff for crafts, they have all the ends of rolls left over from companies making swatch books so they have all sorts there- the heavy duty vinyl wall coverings would probably work, as would the fake leather aimed at busses and tube trains- but I couldn’t decide if I liked any of the colours

• Like 1

On 22/06/2019 at 23:13, LukeFRC said:

so we’ve got a vinyl sticker for the back plate, a domed sticker for the handle and a subliminated aluminium plate 100x40mm for the front. (Soft enough to drill for screws if you need) - and it’s all just going to add £3.60 to the cost.

im excited if no one else. 

Great job Luke!  No more than this wonderful cab deserves - and exciting too 😉

• Like 1