Why become a member? ×

12" Cab Diary Continued

stevie

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I've started! 

My corner pieces have arrived. I shall select a drawer and it shall be filled with bits for the cab build. 

If you post which drawer it is on here, you'll be able to find it again when everything else gets here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

Search on seller works better if it's the right seller. Trying to be helpful rather than critical.

I thought it was a joke. Sorry. I was trying to be funny back. What is all this ki- business? 

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I thought it was a joke. Sorry. I was trying to be funny back. What is all this ki- business? 

The seller ID. Not strictly needed though if you search for "8pcs hard steel guitar amp corners".

Looking for the needled felt - "needled felt" throws up a lorra lorra hits because Ebay doesn't think you know what you're looking for, "needled felt -needles" is much better. diy-foam-upholstery-supplies is the seller ID. Stevie, sorry to be a PITA, but could you confirm if the right stuff is the firm needled black felt in https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotton-Upholstery-felt-flock-wadding-Firm-or-soft-all-types-upholstery-padding/172117993027 or is it a different one?

29 minutes ago, tauzero said:

The seller ID. Not strictly needed though if you search for "8pcs hard steel guitar amp corners".

Sorry I had missed that detail! I think I followed Stevie's link to the corner pieces.

Again apologies for what must have seemed a rude response earlier. Not intended to be.

Thanks for the corrections, chaps - much appreciated. I've posted an updated parts list in response to your comments and to include an additional few items.

Next week, I'll post the final drawings and cutting list (thanks RichardH) with the crossover circuit and layout for the Faital PR320/Celestion CDX-1425 system. Anyone wishing to cut their own wood and build their own crossover will then have all the information they need.

All the quotes are now in for the CNC kit cab. I'll be choosing a supplier early next week and progressing the matter so that we can get moving on the kits again.

• Like 2

If there are any other queries about the parts list, please post them. I've included supplier information whenever possible because some of these bits are not easy to source, but if you know of a better/cheaper supplier, do let us know.

Thanks to the stupendous work of RichardH, I am pleased to announce that we have the final drawings for the complete design of this latest version. On page 1 of this thread you'll now find a PDF containing the technical drawing, exploded assembly view, wood cutting list, crossover circuit and crossover layout - everything, in fact, that you need to build one of these from scratch.

LukeFRC, who's about to go on holiday for two weeks, has done a great job with the design for the logo and name, and has sourced and ordered badges for the grille, and stickers for the handle and input panel at a price that is difficult to believe. They'll be available when he gets back, and I think I should let him do the reveal.

The CNC cabinet kits are progressing at a pace that is causing me to pull my hair out, but we should have one or two pre-production prototypes soon. I expect these to be perfect, but it would be foolish to order an entire batch without making sure. The first two will go to those in the queue who are close enough to the supplier to collect. Failing that, I'll offer them to those who placed their orders first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 16/06/2019 at 11:39, tauzero said:

Looking for the needled felt - "needled felt" throws up a lorra lorra hits because Ebay doesn't think you know what you're looking for, "needled felt -needles" is much better. diy-foam-upholstery-supplies is the seller ID. Stevie, sorry to be a PITA, but could you confirm if the right stuff is the firm needled black felt in https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotton-Upholstery-felt-flock-wadding-Firm-or-soft-all-types-upholstery-padding/172117993027 or is it a different one?

That's the stuff allright. I used it for my Ashdown upgrade, as advised by Stevie.  However, with hindsight, I would personally go for the stuff with the backing as the stuff without is not great to work with, at least for someone of my limited experience.  I found that in a smaller enclosure, using larger continuous pieces, it falls apart and tears fairly easily and is very dusty.  YMMV.

Were I to do it again, I might even be tempted to go for 'proper' speaker wadding.  I've seen it used in other builds, though have never used it myself.

https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?search=wadding&x=0&y=0&br=Any+Brand&cs=Any+Category&stk=Any+Stock+Availability&perp=10

That "proper" speaker wadding is quite lightweight - I think Stevie specifically commented about this recently, but darned if I can find the reference. So probably best to stick to his recommendation.

I wonder if the backed stuff that you mention is as good as the recommended one though, as that sounds like it would be easier to use. The listing suggests that it is the same weighting. Stevie?

Edited by RichardH

I did quite a bit of work to arrive at the damping for this cab. I tried polyester wadding, acoustic foam and different types of felt. The one that was most effective at damping the main standing wave was the 'fluffy' felt that I used in my first cab. However, I decided to recommend the firmer, needled felt because it's more practical - it stays in place better. It may well be that some combination of the two is the answer, but that will have to wait until I have more time to experiment.

The point of internal damping is to minimise internal standing waves and the reflections at higher frequencies that travel through the cone. The damping efficiency of the different materials available varies by frequency, but here we need something that works down to a relatively low frequency, as the main standing wave is about 250Hz.

As you can imagine, the more damping material you use, the more effectively you damp internal reflections. On the other hand, use too much and you'll kill the output from the port.

What I did originally was to measure the output from the port with no damping in the cab. Then I used different quantities of the various damping materials whilst observing 1. the output from the port and 2. the behaviour of the main standing wave. The balancing act involved is in minimising the standing wave whilst maximising the port output. I'm afraid the only way you can do this scientifically is by measurement.

As Sharkfinger says, the needled felt is fragile - so you need to handle it carefully. If you grab it and pull it, it will come apart. But if you cut it to size before fitting it to the cab you won't have any problem, especially as each piece you fit is fairly small anyway. Take a look at the photos on the previous page.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, stevie said:

I did quite a bit of work to arrive at the damping for this cab. I tried polyester wadding, acoustic foam and different .......

As usual, a detailed, informative and very helpful answer, thanks.

In my case, I did cut to size first but I got over-ambitions.  I tried to use a continuous piece for as much as I could, rather than for each panel.  I think that's where I came unstuck, no pun intended.

I certainly can't argue with the results, as my conversion sounds fantastic thanks to Stevie.

• Like 1