Why become a member? ×

12" Cab Diary Continued

stevie

13 minutes ago, funkle said:

Now I’ve written out the list of everything I’ve owned and tried, I’m a little embarrassed. Lol. Honestly there were good reasons for selling at the time 🤣

Haha I remember talking to you about there ip and the ACME stuff years back. 
The good thing about DIY stuff is like bitsas and IKEA furniture, because you made it you'll be more attached to it 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

The good thing about DIY stuff is like bitsas and IKEA furniture, because you made it you'll be more attached to it 

This is true. I’ll also be attached to it because it will meet a lot of my demands for less cost, less weight, less bulk, easier carry...and great quality components.

I’ve had a few years off; hence I sold my Fearless stuff etc. This gets me back in the game for a lot less spend and equal quality. 

• Like 1

I joined basschat all dem years ago to discuss and gain knowledge of speakers, and these threads in particular were great.  Due to work/life balance issues, I ended up getting a Barefaced cab rather than building my own.  I always keep coming back to this thread though.

I feel with the amount of effort the gurus have put in to making these cabs so good, and also now so accessible to a shmuck like me, I feel compelled to build one.  It’d be rude not to!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

I feel with the amount of effort the gurus have put in to making these cabs so good, and also now so accessible to a shmuck like me, I feel compelled to build one.  It’d be rude not to!

Yes, very rude. 😀

4 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

The other good thing is that you know that you it's been made properly because you've done it yourself. No skimping. No shortcuts. No saying "that's good enough". 

OK - I'm putting Funkle down for one cabinet. Chienmortbb has also ordered one. I've got two, but I'm afraid that doesn't count towards the ten....

If anyone else would like one, just send me a pm. Once we reach ten, I'll place the order. No money needs to change hands until they're ready. And I won't be concerned if you find you can't afford it when the time comes. I'm  sure somebody else will.

Once we get near to ten cabs, I'll negotiate some discounts on the drivers. Probably best not to clog the thread up with this. I'll pm anyone who has ordered a cab with the prices. This was never meant to be a budget design, but if we can bring it in at a budget price, so much the better.

I'm also working on branding the cab so that it looks like a commercially manufactured product. That means a label for the top handle and a badge for the front. I've designed quite a cool logo (IMO). If you'd like a badge and a sticker, I'll supply them at my cost. Unfortunately, trying to order these things in small quantities is problematic. More info in due time.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, funkle said:

Nice. I was wondering about a badge etc. Can’t wait!

A badge and grille really do finish the cab off. I fitted an Ashdown badge to the first one I built,  but badges from Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Marshall, and plenty of others are available on eBay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naxos10 said:

This looks like a cracking piece of kit to build Stevie. It may even spur me on to finish my floor standing hifi speakers.

Pm will be sent.

Funny you should say that. My reference is a sealed hi-fi cab fitted with an 8-inch Seas magnesium bass/mid driver and a Scan-Speak 1-inch compression driver. Total cost just for the drivers  is about £400 - per cab. Surprisingly perhaps, our bass cab fitted with the Faital Pro and Celestion compression driver actually sounds better in a number of areas - something that would not have been possible a few years ago.

The hi-fi boys have now picked up on our Faital Pro driver. Here is a recording of a system fitted with the 12PR320 we're using.  If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a recording of our specific cab.

Edited by stevie

1 hour ago, stevie said:

Funny you should say that. My reference is a sealed hi-fi cab fitted with an 8-inch Seas magnesium bass/mid driver and a Scan-Speak 1-inch compression driver. Total cost just for the drivers  is about £400 - per cab. Surprisingly perhaps, our bass cab fitted with the Faital Pro and Celestion compression driver actually sounds better in a number of areas - something that would not have been possible a few years ago.

The hi-fi boys have now picked up on our Faital Pro driver. Here is a recording of a system fitted with the 12PR320 we're using.  If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a recording of our specific cab.

is that a very fancy Hi-fi set up, recorded on a very fancy microphone set up to have a neutral as possible response... and then compressed to hell by Youtube so I can play it out of my phone or laptop speakers? :D 

Edited by LukeFRC

18 hours ago, owen said:

Power module = Hypex with DSP? With enough grunt to run that 2nd 12"?

Nothing against the Hypex, but I think John's considering the ICEPower 700 watt unit because he already has some ICEPower modules and can get hold of more. 

What I'm looking for is a lightweight, high-power amp that we can fit inside the cab and that will accept the input from a bass or a pedal. It will just have a volume control. I don't need tone controls because I have what I need on my bass and always have my amp set flat anyway. I would then junk my bass amp and just take the cab to gigs.