Why become a member? ×

Taking it 'out there', actually playing the bass

Rocker

You may recall that a drummer friend has arranged for a fortnightly session/get together where we can play and have fun musically. It has now expanded to drums, lead guitar/vocals, rhythm guitar/vocals and me playing the bass.

I started off playing rhythm/lead guitar and brought the bass to try it out with the drummer. It turns out that bass sounds are required and add something positive to the overall sound. We play for our own enjoyment and have no ambitions to gig or perform in public. Two of the guys do that as it is and one other plus myself did that sort of thing many years ago. My bass playing ability is pretty much beginner level so most of my input is root, fifth and seventh notes with the occasional run from one note to the next. It works and sounds reasonably good most of the time.

Some songs [we only try songs and not jams] need a little bit more than root, fifth and seventh notes, songs like 'Hotel California' by The Eagles, 'Wonderful Tonight' by Eric Clapton for example. These I play the root note of the guitar chords and when combined with runs to the next note keep me busy. And to my ears, sound very good. The other guys, especially the drummer, love this kind of playing. It is still very basic playing in the overall scheme of things but it is good fun. And it works.

What I am trying to say is that there is a difference between learning something and actually playing it with others. A simple bass line works. The slightly more complex bass line in 'Wonderful Tonight' works and challenges me a fair bit more. And by works, I mean that the total is greater than the sum of the parts. When everybody contributes, amazing things happen. This happening does not happen when at home on my own trying to play something on the guitar. So my suggestion is to try to get playing with others a.s.a.p. And not just endless blues jams in A or E. But actual songs [despised and often described on guitar forums as covers], songs that when you all get your bits right, sound right.

If my experiences are anything to go by, you cannot lose.

Nothing ups your game quicker than playing in a band. And the better the other musicians are, the better you will be. In particular, a really good drummer will unlock the secrets of groove. You can be a bedroom noodler for years, yet miss out on essential knowledge. Playing live can be a steep learning curve but it's well worth the effort.

D'accord. And don't feel simple is too simple. Some of the toppest bassists just do really simple really well. And a good many band leaders don't want their bassists shredding. Dave Swift, Jools Holland's bassist, tells a story of how he got a bit carried away with a fill and Holland was on his case in a trice (whatever a trice is).

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1485714449' post='3226048']
Holland was on his case in a trice (whatever a trice is).
[/quote]

It's a small keyring with a picture of a horse on it.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1485716305' post='3226068']
...leave loads of space, and keep it simple. Bass is a rhythm instrument in a band context, not a poser lead, look at me shredding job.
[/quote]

It took me longer than it should have to realise that bass-playing is not about oneself, but about playing what is right for the song. It helps if you're of the opinion that electric bass is not a solo instrument.

Best advice I ever got as a kid was "Always be the worst player in your band".
Think about it.

This was from an old guy who played upright. He HAD to have been at least 30 at the time. decrepit, but wise....

:lol:

OP: You've got it, my friend!

And never forget its the holes between the notes that makes music work.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1485716305' post='3226068']
You'll love it!
But remember to leave space, loads of space, and keep it simple.
Bass is a rhythm instrument in a band context, not a poser lead, look at me shredding job. :o
[/quote]

EXCEPT when it's your job to drive the band, like this........ :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkpenzFNbpk