Why become a member? ×

Bizarre song requests

Bassmonkey

My band play typical indie/punk/guitar anthemic band covers. 2 guitars, bass and drums. At gigs we often get people asking if we can play X, Y or Z usually similar genres. At last nights gig however, a girl comes up and asks....could you play Never too much by Luther Vandross!!!
Now that's a great song but given Luther had one of the best ever soul voices, and the arrangement etc, that was never happening.

What the weirdest request you've had?

(1) Playing with an indie/rock/punk covers trio, got a request for the Spongebob Squarepants theme: 'He lives in a pineapple under the sea' etc.

(2) With a 50s /R'n'R all-male 4-piece, at a social club in the Welsh valleys (quite literally in the shadow of a mahoosive spoil heap), a lady of a certain age totters up to the stage and intones in a banshee-like voice: 'Play Tina Turner!'

We played a gig in a notorious Corby pub called the Phoenix, it had apparently just been refurbished, which seemed to equal the pool table had been recovered to remove the bloodstains and the walls had been painted in am attempt to hold them together slightly better!

We set up surrounded by the locals who made us feel most welcome with comments like "if you get in the way of the telly we'll kill you etc.!"

We set up and sound checked with Stereophonics "Local Boy" when this very large, very drunk, very tattoo'd Scotsman staggered offer and yelled you had better play some F*%king Coldplay......then is a high pitched angel like voice sung the words "Fix You"...turned and staggered out of the pub never to return!

We actually ended up having quite a good night and got out with all limbs and gear intact

If I had a pound for every time some fool asks us for a Meatloaf song, I could stay at home.

I occasionally get asked for a song by The Arctic Monkeys and I just can't keep the politeness going. I just tell the person asking that I am not going to play music that I detest.

Last night someone cheerfully asked us to play [i]Shangalang[/i] by The Bay City Rollers and we hammered it out (seeing as it's in our set anyway). That shut him up.

:)

Edited by 12stringbassist

In our covers band we have a girl singer and do pretty much exclusively modern pop tunes, with a couple of older songs thrown in here and there. Relatively well known in the area for being one of the only bands who have a set like this, amongst a sea of dad rock bands.

We still get asked regularly if we do any AC/DC. My usual response is - 'Next week's band'll do that mate'.

Noisy punk/power pop originals band. Drunk woman stood right at the front shouted 'play something by the Eagles. Don't you know any Eagles' all gig. Boyfriend standing behind her who liked like Ronnie Kray just stared at us menacingly all gig. Very unnerving.
South African bloke shouted 'Stop playing this *** and '*** my mind with some Guns n Roses' for ages. Introduced all songs for the second part of the gig as Guns n Roses B sides and unreleased tracks. He changed his opinion of the band and loved all the GnR stuff!

We, as a 1950's/60's blues group, whilst recently playing in a blues branded bar, got asked "do you do any ELO?" I thought that was hilarious!

Seriously though, I like it when bands totally flip tracks around and do them in a totally different style. I would have loved to hear an indie/punk interpretation of a Luther Vandross track!

Tamworth Battle of the bands rules require all the bands to perform a track which has been in the charts. I remember a superb punk band (but sadly can't remember the name) play hit me baby one more time and blew EVERYONE away with it. I was talking with the singer afterwards and he said they first did it after being asked if they could do some Britney by a drunk lass at a gig. They practiced it for a laugh but found it worked really well and I have to agree with them.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1485803696' post='3226862']
We always just tell them, "We'll do it at the end".
It keeps them there all night and we then just apologise and say the Landlord says we have to finish.
[/quote]

Our singer used to say, "We'll learn that one for next time..." which at a wedding gig is a funny thing to say. No one ever spotted the irony.

Speaking of irony, I was always astounded at the number of times we got asked for Easy by th e Commodores as a first dance considering the lyrics are (paraphrase) "I've grown to hate your guts and I can't stand you. Still, one more shag and by the time you wake up tomorrow I'll have cleared the house out and you'll never see me again, you witch."

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1485803696' post='3226862']
We always just tell them, "We'll do it at the end".
It keeps them there all night and we then just apologise and say the Landlord says we have to finish.
[/quote]

I like that one. Shall use it from now on in

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1485807501' post='3226905']

Speaking of irony, I was always astounded at the number of times we got asked for Easy by th e Commodores as a first dance considering the lyrics are (paraphrase) "I've grown to hate your guts and I can't stand you. Still, one more shag and by the time you wake up tomorrow I'll have cleared the house out and you'll never see me again, you witch."
[/quote]

Do it in a medley with Band of Gold and Young Hearts Run Free then!!