Why become a member? ×

Power Amp Rigs

spectoremg

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1487175736' post='3237781']
dis[color=#ff0000]s[/color]sa - I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Fender pre-amp.
[/quote]

You know this? [url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/fender-tbp-1/"]Klick[/url] (sorry, it is only in german. I am looking for someone, you wants translate my reviews...)
The TBP was one of my first preamps. The Fender TBP-1 is a really good sounding preamp. The 3-band eq is not extraordinary, it is the well known Fender tone stack. I like the "VARI-Q" semiparam. Eq and the "ROOM Balance". That are very good tools for difficult room acoustics. I play the 3-band eq nearly "flat" (2-10-2) and find my sound with the VariQ and the RoomBalance.
I dont often use the Overdrive-Channel because I am a "clean-tone-player". I Love this Fender clean sound. It is nearly the sound of my vintage [url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/amps/fender-super-bassman/"]Super-Bassman[/url].

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1487176119' post='3237787']
I have been looking for a good 1u rack mount power amp that is powerful and clean all through the range. I currently use a QSC PLX 2402 2U power amp which fits the bill sound wise but it weighs a ton. How well does the [color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Synq 2k2 Power Amp work is it low noise and with a fan quiet etc . I've never heard of them before. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

This poweramps use two little fans with a 4 cm diameter. Little fans are louder than bigger fans. I switched the original fans to silent fans from SUNON.
The synq poweramps are very efficient and powerful amps. I use the 2k2 because of the higher headroom.
You should look at the [url="https://www.rockshop.de/red-rock-modus-m-4.5"]red rock modus 4.5[/url] power amps. That is a class h poweramps. They sounds a little bit "warmer" than the synqs.

Edited by disssa

Hello Guys ,,,,
i used a Aguilar DB 728 Poweramp with a Aguilar preamp DB 680
and SWR 750 power amp with SWR M2 préamp and Alembix F1X préamp .
(I use a translator )
The DB728 is given for 400watts,
For me, it has more.
It is a very nice amp, but, it costs very dear to the maintenance.
The SWR750, and very good too, given for 750watts it sends far less than the Aguilar.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1487200083' post='3238074']
I used a Chevin A3000 (bridged at 3Kw into 8 ohms) into and Eden 410xlt when I was younger. Obv I never turned it up full, but the headroom, low frequency extension and general grunt was a thing of joy. What a machine.
[/quote]

A1000 here. With the Avalon U5 into either an Epifani UL410 or Berg AE410. Sounds amazing!

I often use a Sansamp RBI preamp through a Crown power amp (1100W bridged at 4 ohm), through a pair of Vanderkleys 112MNTs or 210MNTs or mixture thereof. Sounds absolutely mega. Having said that in venues with PA and decent monitors the Sansamp alone would suffice. Being old-fashioned I like to be totally self sufficent and would never trust an untried venue/inhouse system, so having a decent rig is a failsafe.

[quote name='disssa' timestamp='1487100939' post='3237151']
I play a rig with a poweramp:
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/trace-elliot-v-type-preamp/"]Trace Elliot V-Type Pre[/url][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]TC Electronics Triple C[/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Synq 2k2 Power Amp[/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/ampeg-svt-iip/"]Ampeg SVT-IIP[/url][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/amps/swr-amplite/"]SWR Amplite[/url][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/swr-interstellar-overdrive/"]SWR Interstellar Overdrive[/url][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/fender-tbp-1/"]Fender TBP-1[/url][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I own a lot of [url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/"]preamps[/url] and I like to combine the preamps with a synq audio 2k2 as a poweramp.[/font][/color]
[/quote]Do you find the SWR works best with the SVTIIP? I am looking for a lightweight poweramp to use with mine - the Ampeg AP3550 it currently uses is too heavy.

That's the rig that I used to use with my basses that have individual pickup outputs so I can eq separately and send to individual cabs. Most of my gigs are reggae so I cannot see much to be gained from that set up in that genre. I tried it a few times on a jazz funk gig and one with acoustic guitars and the clarity was outstanding. [size=4]These days I stay mono, usually one cab and have put the second pre-amp in a separate rack case for when travelling light.[/size]
[attachment=238753:IMG_0569.jpg]

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1488273211' post='3247333']
Do majority of these pre-amps have a built in adjustable crossover for the outputs. ?

Dave
[/quote]

No - most setups go to a poweramp, to a full range cab, usually with a passive crossover network. If you wanted to have a proper crossover that you can tune to your cabs, you'd need a speaker management unit.. dbx and behringer are probably the major playesr in the not too expensive arena.

So I have a VT Bass pedal, and a Sansamp RBI. Thinking about pairing one of them up with a power amp rather than just using them in the effects chain and ditching the amp I'm using.

What amp do you recommend for a Sansamp? Lighter the better ideally :)

With pedal preamps there can be a volume issue. The pedals have a rather limited amount of gain they can provide for a few reasons, mainly that they're limited by the 9V power supply but also they're designed to work in front of standard amps rather than power amps. You'll get sound either way, but I've seen the pedal output volume maxed and the gain controls on an amp maxed and still the signal LEDs are just barely being tickled.

You really have two options, one is to find an amp with the lowest input sensitivity that you can, ideally around 0.775V. Option 2 is to use another gain stage to boots the pedal before the power amp.

If you use the RBI you'll likely have a wider choice of suitable power amps.

Oh sorry, I should answer your question. QSC PLX??02, pick the one you feel you need. I have a 1602 that does 300W a side into each of my Barefaceds, and the possibility of 1600W into both if I wanted. They have either a 1.2V or 1.7V input sensitivity I think, depending on the model, so you may find your RBI will sing and your VT Bass a little on the quieter side.

That's weird, I was thinking about changing up my rig to do this.

What's the experience with this like?

Was looking at getting the new Geddy Lee Preamp. The word suggests it's based on the RBI, if that's the case, does anyone know of any recommended power amps for it?

I'm really new to this, is there a chance that things just won't be compatible with each other? (So in PC terms, certain parts need the right chipsets on other parts to work together, is this the case here?)

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1489238928' post='3255388']
With pedal preamps there can be a volume issue. The pedals have a rather limited amount of gain they can provide for a few reasons, mainly that they're limited by the 9V power supply but also they're designed to work in front of standard amps rather than power amps. You'll get sound either way, but I've seen the pedal output volume maxed and the gain controls on an amp maxed and still the signal LEDs are just barely being tickled.

You really have two options, one is to find an amp with the lowest input sensitivity that you can, ideally around 0.775V. Option 2 is to use another gain stage to boots the pedal before the power amp.

If you use the RBI you'll likely have a wider choice of suitable power amps.

Oh sorry, I should answer your question. QSC PLX??02, pick the one you feel you need. I have a 1602 that does 300W a side into each of my Barefaceds, and the possibility of 1600W into both if I wanted. They have either a 1.2V or 1.7V input sensitivity I think, depending on the model, so you may find your RBI will sing and your VT Bass a little on the quieter side.
[/quote]

What about going into a pedal (Sansamp, BD 121 etc), taking a line out into the mic premap on a passive mixer, then into a poweramp? Might be a daft question.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1489267700' post='3255676']
What about going into a pedal (Sansamp, BD 121 etc), taking a line out into the mic premap on a passive mixer, then into a poweramp? Might be a daft question.
[/quote]

What do you mean by 'passive mixer'? You need an extra gain stage really, so anything that's passive won't be up to much.

I have a Presonus Studio Pre that works really, really well. If you don't need the other features maybe try the Presonus TubePre? Or ART and Behringer make similar units.

Ah, I see. I was picturing something like [url="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/155438-REG/Rolls_MX41B_MX41B_Passive_Mixer.html"]this[/url], yes that would work brilliantly then. If you went pedal>mixer>poweramp you'd essentially have a bass-specific, one channel pa system. Sorted

Edited by Jack