Why become a member? ×

Why are loads of product demos etc. slap?

ROConnell

Yep, Ed & Dans reviews are great as you hear the tone of the instrument very well indeed. There`s also a review of the Tech21 Paradriver that I like, the reviewer doesn`t get tempted - as so many do - to max the drive so all you hear is mush. A good review which has tempted me to buy one, it will land later today, and I just hope I can coax the tones out of it that the reviewer did.

Slap doesn't tell you anything about the sound of the bass, other than how it sounds when it's slapped. When was the last time you heard slap bass on a contemporary recording on the radio ?

In all my years of gigging I've only ever had to play it on one song, that was car wash.

I hate slap bass. We had to do various slap things at uni as exam things, Frankenstein being one. I absolutely hated them.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1485613226' post='3225317']
When was the last time you heard slap bass on a contemporary recording on the radio ?

In all my years of gigging I've only ever had to play it on one song, that was car wash.

[/quote]

Not a Level 42 fan then? :unsure:

Or Sly & the Family Stone, Fishbone or the Brothers Johnson

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1485613226' post='3225317']
Slap doesn't tell you anything about the sound of the bass, other than how it sounds when it's slapped. When was the last time you heard slap bass on a contemporary recording on the radio ?

I hate slap bass. We had to do various slap things at uni as exam things, Frankenstein being one. I absolutely hated them.
[/quote]Oh that word Hate is harsh, but I'm sure I've used it before so i get how you might feel.. Its just another technique. Yes it can be annoying, but there are great examples depending on the player. There are a few pop records that the bass player slaps on.

I will agree that Dan Veal's playing is great and i love his level headed reviews.

i don't think its good to dismiss a technique. Not all bass players use there ego when there playing slap.

"Slap doesn't tell you anything about the sound of the bass, other than how it sounds when it's slapped"

isn't that the point.?

Edited by bubinga5

Mark King

Superb bassist.

For me a bass review should show the versatility of the bass in a whole range of styles. Those styles may include slap, picked, bread and butter pop from various eras, Palm muted, 70s/80s/90s fingerstyle, with effects for electronic - basically as much as possible to give an indication of how it would fit a range of people's requirements.

The amp and speaker set up (if used) should not colour the sound too much (I have found some types of set up scoop mids and top very badly thus limiting the sound of the bass itself).

I have found in my experience that there are some bass players who limit their playing to narrow genres - no problem if that's what they want to do - however the only people I've come across who don't like slap are bass players (many of whom haven't even bothered to learn to play it) and guitarists who object to a bass being anything but a low pitched background rumble. On the contrary audiences seem to love it if used tastefully (basically the same proviso as for any technique). In the 80s it was entirely possible to come across bass players who could ONLY play slap 😮

To omit one particular style because it offends some people's sensitivities seems daft to me - if you transfer this to a drum demo, much of that is genre specific - so would you miss out rockabilly because it offends bread and butter rockers - I think not!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1485539449' post='3224823']

But there's a lot of truth in that comparison - you both demonstrate the gear comprehensively, not yourselves. Curious as to what the complaints are about...
[/quote]

I'll bet that the complaints are about lack of shred, which of course just demonstrates the complete lack of understanding in the complainants of what demoing a bass is all about. Dan's reviews give me what I want to know about a bass. I was just watching his SB1000 reissue demo earlier on.*

It's like when I try out a bass in a shop. You'd be amazed the odd looks I get as I slowly and deliberately try out each and every note on the fretboard listening for chokes, buzzes and dead spots and then play a short bass line snippet with different tone and pickup settings (most likely Dancing in the Moonlight, a couple from the folk band I played in in the 1990's and, bizarrely The Theme from Deep Space Nine - which are just ones that happen to fall nicely under my fingers). I may not have shown off my mad skillz but I do know how the bass sounds, if it has Sony issues and if it's for me.

* Plus he just comes across as such a nice guy in them!

I've had a few stabs at doing demo / review vids just for fun - examples [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLyBAFiJRJY"]here[/url] and [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq64dgNIrD8"]here[/url].

(They're Sunday league compared to what Ed Friedland and Dan do.)

I get negative comments, some of which are justified - they could be technically better, and I'm still working on it.

But, I also get a people complaining about my lack of AWESOME CHOPS. This doesn't bother me... it's not what the videos are for. Thankfully, quite a few people also seem to have enjoyed them, so IMO it's worthwhile.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1485618867' post='3225366']

i don't think its good to dismiss a technique. Not all bass players use there ego when there playing slap.

"Slap doesn't tell you anything about the sound of the bass, other than how it sounds when it's slapped"

isn't that the point.?
[/quote]

To be fair, the OP was describing the all too common demos that go... "Hey there, today I'm going to demo the Blender Guatemalan Standard Jazcision Deluxe bass. I'll put it through its paces and show you a few of the things it's capable of... Here we go... [cue three solid minutes of thwakketa-splakketa-whakketa-splang] Well , there you go. I think that shows just what a great sounding and versatile bass the new Jazcision is..."

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1485618888' post='3225368']
...however the only people I've come across who don't like slap are bass players (many of whom haven't even bothered to learn to play it) and guitarists who object to a bass being anything but a low pitched background rumble...
[/quote]

There is a bit of chicken and egg thing going on here though, isn't there. I can slap to only the most rudimentary of standards and, as it is a style that I've never aspired to play, it's a technique I've never prioritised learning. The players I listen to most either don't slap or use it only as a very rare texture. So while I admire MK's skill, L42 is one of those "I'll get the Greatest Hits album" bands and I've never been called upon to play one of their songs in a band context. I like funk and funky playing but have gravitated more to listening finger style players (much as I enjoy Bootsy, Larry Graham and others).

Has this left a gaping hole in my skill set? Absolutely. Am I motivated to close that gap at the expense of other playing? Nope.

I'm glad that I seem to be in good company when it comes to being bemused by reviews that only consist of slap playing. When I was looking for a pedal to do a particular distorted sound it was impossible to use YouTube reviews - not just from people recording reviews at home but even the manufactures themselves seemed to be think the only way to play a bass is to slap it. Thankfully Darkglass eventually posted a review of the B3K that started with a brief intro played with a pick. I knew it was the sound I'd been looking for, although the rest of the review descended into sub-RHCP slapping that just sounded awful through a distortion pedal ...

Edited by chriswareham

Was reading the PRS Kestrel thread over on the BG forum and decided to check it out on the PRS website. There are some demo videos which, for me exemplify what folks should be aiming for in instrument demos... each only 1 1/2 mins or so but tells you all you need...

A short intro to the features on the bass...

http://youtu.be/yUXhAN_mQAU

http://youtu.be/6cRxTNvl3Bc

A short trio demo showing a few different playing styles with accompanying info on the bass settings...

http://youtu.be/yuVUxXsKJF4

http://youtu.be/YzFHpo44RPk

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1485631788' post='3225506']
I'm glad that I seem to be in good company when it comes to being bemused by reviews that only consist of slap playing. When I was looking for a pedal to do a particular distorted sound it was impossible to use YouTube reviews - not just from people recording reviews at home but even the manufactures themselves seemed to be think the only way to play a bass is to slap it. Thankfully Darkglass eventually posted a review of the B3K that started with a brief intro played with a pick. I knew it was the sound I'd been looking for, although the rest of the review descended into sub-RHCP slapping that just sounded awful through a distortion pedal ...
[/quote]

Had a similar but different problem when I was looking for my Tech 21VTDI. I wanted it as an preamp/amp/speaker-sim DI for classic mostly clean sounds when going amp free. Pretty much all the demos... "This is the VTDI, it emulates a classic SVT or Flip Top direct into the desk. So let's see what it does... [turns all knobs to 11 and plays 2 mins of CRRRZZZZZ-CCHHHNNNNN-GGGGGRRRRRRRGGGGG-KKKLLLAAANNNNGGGG]". Sigh...

Thankfully now that I'm thinking about a Bass Soul Foor a good proportion of the videos out there do seem to cover mild overdrive too... Phew.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1485674838' post='3225660']
Was reading the PRS Kestrel thread over on the BG forum and decided to check it out on the PRS website. There are some demo videos which, for me exemplify what folks should be aiming for in instrument demos... each only 1 1/2 mins or so but tells you all you need...

A short intro to the features on the bass...

http://youtu.be/yUXhAN_mQAU

http://youtu.be/6cRxTNvl3Bc

A short trio demo showing a few different playing styles with accompanying info on the bass settings...

http://youtu.be/yuVUxXsKJF4

http://youtu.be/YzFHpo44RPk
[/quote]

Good reviews, short and to the point, shows the basses in different styles without pushing one style or another!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1485687171' post='3225757']
Are short videos that demonstrate the essentials better than long ones that can contain more detail? Discuss..
[/quote]

I find they get a bit boring, there's a Gary Grainger PRS bass review by Premier Guitars on YouTube that I tried to watch this morning and I felt that watching the already dry paint on the wall was more interesting!!

There seems to be a school of thought that you are only good if you slap! I've watched videos on you choob and you are trying to hear the tone of a bass or an amp and all you get is poxy slap! It drives me nuts!

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1485690254' post='3225792']
I find they get a bit boring, there's a Gary Grainger PRS bass review by Premier Guitars on YouTube that I tried to watch this morning and I felt that watching the already dry paint on the wall was more interesting!!
[/quote]

Thank you, I'm interested in what everyone has to say, so keep the replies coming.

In a review it's important to have the info on all the key features. But when it comes to the tone I guess it's good to hear the general character of the sound.

In the PRS reviews we hear the bass has a good clear tone. We can assume it goes from a good bite one end to a deep thud. I only watched the first. I didn't see him slap or use a pick, but the tone we got showed plenty of snap to the sound, so the pick or slap players will know it does that ok.

It can be frustrating to have to listen through 3 minutes of slap and 3 minutes of pick before we get 2 minutes of fingerstyle as the credits start to roll. Lets face it, all you need is a single run down of the G and Cmaj scale and you've got the gist of what it sounds like.

Edit: Listened to all the vids. I'm loving the tone, but is it the bass or the Aguilar gear?

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1485694545' post='3225822']
In a review it's important to have the info on all the key features. But when it comes to the tone I guess it's good to hear the general character of the sound.

In the PRS reviews we hear the bass has a good clear tone. We can assume it goes from a good bite one end to a deep thud. I only watched the first. I didn't see him slap or use a pick, but the tone we got showed plenty of snap to the sound, so the pick or slap players will know it does that ok.

It can be frustrating to have to listen through 3 minutes of slap and 3 minutes of pick before we get 2 minutes of fingerstyle as the credits start to roll. Lets face it, all you need is a single run down of the G and Cmaj scale and you've got the gist of what it sounds like.

Edit: Listened to all the vids. I'm loving the tone, but is it the bass or the Aguilar gear?
[/quote]

And hearing the bass in a band setting is a plus for me! Likewise amps! When our very own WoT was demoing the Handbox amp as well as some sit down in the front room he posted a video of his band. Also listening through headphones or a system helps to get some idea of tone!