Why become a member? ×

Coolest of bass players

Barking Spiders

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1485965850' post='3228099']

Next you'll be saying that this isn't cool...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcGNqrAtsgg

I dunno, you whipper-snappers.
[/quote]

I'll have you know I had all the action figures thank you very much! No matter how cool that cartoon, or indeed any of the other 80s cartoons I loved enough to get up early for on a Saturday morning back then might be, I don't think any of them would have inspired a stage name that I'd care to use.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1485552199' post='3224960']
Thundercat.

One of the coolest human beings alive. Who also happens to be a bass player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBpwKNbcuMA
[/quote]

When you need another bass player on stage, it's not cool.
His other bassist IS cool.

*i do quite like TC tho.

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1486036572' post='3228638']

When you need another bass player on stage, it's not cool.
His other bassist IS cool.

*i do quite like TC tho.
[/quote]

I love a bit of Thundercat but although he plays a a bass guitar I'm not sure he qualifies as a bass player

His approach to the instrument is a cross between a classical guitar and a keyboard.

Edited by Cato

Hah, I watched that whole Thundercat video thinking "that's the silhouette of Kamasi Washington isn't it", waiting for him to play, and he didn't make a single peep! Not heard of this dude before, I like.

Don't think anyone's mentioned Esperanza yet. She makes it look effortless, pretty much always smiling, just chillin'. Cool cat.

[quote name='Cathode_Follower' timestamp='1486051096' post='3228838']
Hah, I watched that whole Thundercat video thinking "that's the silhouette of Kamasi Washington isn't it", waiting for him to play, and he didn't make a single peep!
[/quote]

I did exactly the same.

Thundercat is a member of the West Coast Get Down collective that originated out of a Californian state programme to encourage musically talented kids. They've all been been playing together for over 20 years, despite the fact that most of them are only in their early/mid 30s.

They all play on each others solo projects, so Thundercat is on Kamasi's album and vice versa.

Another member of the collective worth checking out is double bass player/vocalist Miles Mosley. His album came out recently and is well worth a listen.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1486054156' post='3228884']
I did exactly the same.

Thundercat is a member of the West Coast Get Down collective that originated out of a Californian state programme to encourage musically talented kids. They've all been been playing together for over 20 years, despite the fact that most of them are only in their early/mid 30s.

They all play on each others solo projects, so Thundercat is on Kamasi's album and vice versa.

Another member of the collective worth checking out is double bass player/vocalist Miles Mosley. His album came out recently and is well worth a listen.
[/quote]

Nice, cheers. I've definitely heard of Miles Mosely. Might be from the liner notes of The Epic, but I'm sure I've seen him playing live with someone else on my radar, maybe Hancock or Metheny?

Tina Weymouth is a good shout, also, from the same era, Sting.

I know that nowadays some people roll their eyes at his public pronouncements on eco issues etc, but back in the day when The Police burst onto the scene Sting was a captivating presence, a creative and innovative bass stylist. A role model to a whole generation of post-punk bass players.

I love this thread as it reminds me how many great bass players are out there and how many I know. (this may also make me quite sad...)

But speaking of kool, Kim Gordon must get a mention here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTSUwIZdMk[/media]

Edited by Romeo2

[quote name='Cathode_Follower' timestamp='1485971418' post='3228176']
Tina Weymouth, good shout! Anyone mentioned John Paul Jones yet? The other three got all the attention but JPJ was the coolest.
[/quote]

I love Tina, great bassist, but not cool. Have a look at the live version of Psycho Killer from OGWT. The bass looks far too big for her and she is just twitching to the beat. Define cool? I would say Phil Lynott.

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1486160403' post='3229825']
But speaking of [size=6]kool[/size], Kim Gordon must get a mention here:
[/quote]

The word "kool" is [i]not[/i] cool.
Neither are the words "kewl", "kule" "nor "koule"

Heeheehee. Love yoofspeek. [Reaches for bucket]

I'd like to nominate Pino Palladino again. I just saw him in the band at a live Simon and Garfunkle gig on Vintage TV. He's bl**dy everywhere the Welsh tart!