Why become a member? ×

Pedal prices becoming silly...

Wooks79

I recently picked up a great dirt pedal FEA fuzz thing and it's quite versatile but I find myself only using dirt in about 5% of the songs I play. Still it's good to have a great time on those 5% of tunes.

For the cost of some boutique gear you could buy the basic parts and pay for a course in electronics and have the skills to make some of those pedals!

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1485366329' post='3223448']
Re: the avalanche run, someone on a Facebook pedal group has got rid of theirs saying something along the lines of that it doesn't do anything particularly impressive beyond what their existing eqd pedals did, which is enough to put me off a £300 pedal
[/quote]

I think their Transport Delay SR is still their best by miles of echoey reverbbbbbbbbbbb but thats just from looking at it online.

Being pretty much content with my pedal board for well over a year or 2, I've only recently noticed the price hike - whether it be gradual or otherwise. I've taken to leaving said board in the rehearsal studio and have been toying with the idea of picking up a budget board for home practice use and so have started looking again. Wow! I'm looking at pedals I used to have or I was gassing over a few years ago and the price difference from what I can remember is quite staggering in some cases.

Yes the weak pound is causing everyone trouble but the industry is just as much to blame. Within days of the "brexit" result many manufacturers and distributors increased their prices by around £20 to the trade. This in some cases left some major brands with less than a 10% profit to the retailer. This then resulted in some smaller retailers losing the dealerships on key brands simply because they were unwilllimg or unable to buy the stock at the increased price to make less money. This is one instance where the retailer as the middle man has come off worse.
In the rest of the cases the retailer than been instructed by the distribtors new RRP/SSP's which is what is to blame for the silly prices of products and how everyone in this topic feels (which is mirrrored by myself).
Less stuff is generally being bought and we all just sit and scratch our heads at £250-£250+ pedals, which is madness. But this is only retailers following instructions on SSP's as part of their agreement.

I think brands are generally getting greedy. This was evident with pickups at one point too. Not long ago Seymour Duncan would have been the logical upgrade then other "boutique" companies come along and offer lots of options and a cool brand and very quickly escalate to the same price point. Now every small business making pickups feels they can charge top money.

Pedals is clearly going the same way. Most starting points are absolute madness which is why Magnetic and Raygun FX are rarities in value and quality against the over inflation of everything else.

Just ranting!