Why become a member? ×

How far would you put yersel out for your old lady, old man, errm lifetime companion etc?

Barking Spiders

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1485271793' post='3222659']
My wife wanted to go to a Westlife gig at the NEC. I bought 2 tickets and told her too take her mate. There was no chance I would go to that. I went to Lionel Richie though. I didn`t think I would enjoy it, but he was immense. Great bit of banter, and you could tell he is a seasoned professional
[/quote]

Plua a killer bassplayer in Ethan Farmer.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1485277232' post='3222741']
I arranged to take Mrs B out to dinner a few weeks ago. Two days before an offer of a dep came through at a major jazz festival with a very good band. I took the Mrs out. I'm no fool.
[/quote]

Hear the man! That's deep wisdom right there.

I do find this rather a strange topic. If my wife wants to go and see something I don't want to see, she happily goes on her own. She doesn't need accompaniment or chaperoning as she is quite capable of getting around by herself.

A few years ago I reluctantly went to see the Mikado with my wife as a friend of hers was in it. Rather unexpectedly I really enjoyed it and we go to see the annual show by the same G&S group every year now.
She doesn't drag me along to the ballet though, she takes our daughters to that as they all dance.

When I first met her she used to love coming to my gigs in the soul band. She wasn't so keen on the rock bands I've been in and really doesn't like my current jazz band. Perhaps I'll join a band in future that she likes again, who knows?

Mr Josie and I are cats - we would only ever do anything together if we both actually wanted to. In terms of gigs, that has included some good ones - Robert Plant, Crosby Stills & Nash, Alison Kraus, Blue Oyster Cult, Queen (sadly Paul Rodgers era), Roger Waters, The Cadillac 3 spring to mind in no particular order. But I'm much more into music than he is - several of the above I have got him to listen to recent recordings and agree before I bought tickets. I would never dream of dragging him along to a gig which he would then spoil for me by grumbling. Any more than I would have suggested going with him to the local chess club.

I chaperoned my kids to a My Chemical Romance gig many years ago. I stood at the back out of the way but close enough to keep an eye on them. At one point I glanced to my right, and found that I was one of a whole line of chaperone dads standing at the back... The funniest bit was that we were all doing exactly the same thing -- stood with arms folded, glaring at the stage with a facial expression that said, "Go on then, you whippersnappers. The kids reckon you're great, so impress ME. I saw Nirvana, y'know. Give it your best." :lol:
Having said that, MCR were actually ok. Apart from the gaps between songs, which were unprofessionally long, and the lack of crowd rapport. Predictably though, the kids thought it was the brilliantest thing in the world and sang themselves hoarse, and I was temporarily The Coolest Dad at their school :lol:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1485296410' post='3222958']
The funniest bit was that we were all doing exactly the same thing -- stood with arms folded, glaring at the stage with a facial expression that said, "Go on then, you whippersnappers. The kids reckon you're great, so impress ME. I saw Nirvana, y'know. Give it your best." :lol:

[/quote]
I had the misfortune to be in this same line at a Black Veiled Brides gig. Unfortunately that's where the similarity ends - they were dreadful :angry:

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1485291043' post='3222886']
A few years ago I reluctantly went to see the Mikado with my wife as a friend of hers was in it. Rather unexpectedly I really enjoyed it and we go to see the annual show by the same G&S group every year now.
She doesn't drag me along to the ballet though, she takes our daughters to that as they all dance.

When I first met her she used to love coming to my gigs in the soul band. She wasn't so keen on the rock bands I've been in and really doesn't like my current jazz band. Perhaps I'll join a band in future that she likes again, who knows?
[/quote]

G&S tribute act?

....coat.

Mrs CP and I are lucky to share broadly similar tastes in music. She has been to many gigs with me
over the years which relied on me thinking she would like it, and she did! She draws the line at anything
too muso-ish though, disliking self indulgent long solos in any genre. Mostly like me really...

I accompanied her to the opera once, despite it being probably my least favourite type of music.
Thought I'd give it a go though, egged on by the promise of some semi naked ladies and a live eagle
in this particular production ( possibly La Traviata? It was a long time ago). Anyway, the nudity was over
in an instant, the eagle didn't show due to illness, and I dozed off before the intermission. Hey, I tried.

I did regret not going to see Leonard Cohen with her a couple of years ago. Whilst not a massive fan,
I do wish I'd gone. Mrs CP has been a fan for years, but I was just worried that because she knew I
wasn't it might take the shine off it for her.

Best gig we've both equally enjoyed was probably Nile Rogers and Chic. I watched, she danced!

My first wife was a ballet dancer when we first met, she had been to Royal Ballet School etc but sadly got injured out of it. I always thought it was for Toffs but she was a council house girl and showed me the beauty in it. I loved it and still do. These people are athletes, and if you saw the state of dancers feet after a show dancing on point, bloody hell, literally.

The current Mrs got me into Funk, for which I will be forever grateful, but I still cant stand her Country music thing.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1485337773' post='3223162']
My first wife was a ballet dancer when we first met, she had been to Royal Ballet School etc but sadly got injured out of it. I always thought it was for Toffs but she was a council house girl and showed me the beauty in it. I loved it and still do. These people are athletes, and if you saw the state of dancers feet after a show dancing on point, bloody hell, literally.
[/quote]

After dragging my partner to see Devin Townsend twice in a year (Ziltoid 2 rehearsal and an acoustic set), I agreed to see a live broadcast of the Nutcracker from the Royal Opera at our local cinema. I did actually enjoy it but the repeated bowing in the second act got a little repetitive.

Riverdance, or whatever Fartley's calling it this year.
About a dozen times now :rolleyes: .
In the early years, when they used a live band, I actually rather liked it. Last few times, recorded stuff through ear bleeding PA. Not so much.

I did blow out some gig money couple of years back, took her to London for a few days.
Royal Ballet at yon Opera House. Alice in Wonderland thingy.
Tell ya what, if I was a young single bloke, I'd be going to enjoy audiences at yon Ballet :mellow: :P

A few years back I was taking a female friend (not gf) to see Ben Harper on a Saturday night and suggested that I come in to London early and we spend the afternoon drinking. She decided to "repay" me for the Harper ticket by taking me to a Harp recital that was on that lunchtime - not as random as it sounds as she was trying to learn the harp at the time.

let's just say it's not my thing and leave it at that. Still, it did make that first pint afterwards particularly enjoyable.