Welcome to the new site. We hope you enjoy it. We also hope you like this little sticky note. You can send them to each other or to yourself for reminders. 

Have a read of this thread (click) where I describe some new functions.

Take some time to try the new content search, maybe set up your own custom search and make it your bookmark.

A note about PMs - please read the note in the link above about PMs from the old site.

Thanks for visiting, and enjoy.

(you can dismiss this note so you won’t see it again)

Sign in to follow this  
Yank

Instruments You Struggle With

Drums - what are you supposed to hit when??

All hail those who beat the skins!!

I can play bass, drums and ok on guitar.

Keyboards I keep trying and can play some things fine but can't play properly. Violin, tried but fingers are too close together. Saxophone could play a bit but wasn't really interested.

Vocals - I know the technique of how to sing but my voice just doesn't sound nice - was told once it was the shape of my head!

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1486759850' post='3234463']

Vocals - I know the technique of how to sing but my voice just doesn't sound nice - was told once it was the shape of my head!
[/quote]
Sounds like someone was trying to be nice to you.....

Another instrument I struggle with is slide guitar. Tune it to open G. Check. Major chords. Check. Nothing else seems to work or sound kinda right, like I know what I am doing. And I have a lap slide instrument. As for trying it on an ordinary guitar......

Trumpet. Never managed to make it as effortless as you're supposed to. I actually got OK (grade 3 on a good day) and had a decent range on it until years of overcompensating for my less than ideal technique caught up with me. Over the course of a week I lost about 70% of my playing range and never recovered. Still, it was fun while it lasted.

I have tried (to a limited degree) lots of instruments but can't seem to get over the bit between total novice and becoming more accomplished. I can do a basic drum beat but can't get it more than that; struggling a little with ukulele (can play all the chords but struggling to play any proper songs); saxophone, couldn't even get a proper note out; can't seem to get to grips with acoustic guitar at all, particularly fingerpicking or open chords; pretty good on the recorder and xylophone due to kids playing them at school; keyboard I can use the white keys only so have to transpose everything into C major; slide guitar I REALLY can't do and just don't understand.

I've played piano since I was, well, not sure really but I started proper lessons when I was 6. Started guitar when I was 12, but have never come close to mastering it - still can't do barre chords! Ironically, I really wanted to play bass, but was talked into starting on guitar - got a bass in my late teens and found it suited me so much better. More recently I briefly tried and abandoned piano accordion (too unwieldy and heavy and never got fluent on the stradella bass) and moved onto D/G melodeon. Been playing that for about eight years, and have reached the point where I can belt out morris tunes ok, but I've never really gelled with it - I still can't improvise fluently on it, the fact that it's not chromatic frequently frustrates me and I've realized I'll never have the strength or control in the upper left arm muscles to be a really good player. My latest love is nyckelharpa, which I've been playing for 2 years now - love it!!!! Wish I'd discovered this fabulous instrument a few decades earlier.

Drums!

I'm more than handy with drums & percussion and several types of fretted instrument but the mandolin's a bugger as my podgy digits make a mess of the fingering. Did try the flute for a bit but had issues with the breathing technique. Biggest disappointment is my singing voice which isn't even good enough for backing vocals. It's flatter than the Norfolk Broads. I'd swap what I can do on instruments any day for a cracking set of pipes. Wish i could sing like Mike Patton from Faith No More

Chapman stick. I gave it a really good go and could play stuff (video evidence!), but I couldn't get to where I wanted to be. Still have it, but barely touched it in about 9 years.