Why become a member? ×

Where next after a Stagg......

JPJ

So I used to own one of the original Stagg EUB's that the previous owner had upgraded with a nice set of Corelli strings. I 'upgraded' the pickup and she became a lovely playable fun thing to own. Then I was offered money I needed at the time and she went off to a new owner.

I now find myself wanting to get another EUB (I don't have the space for a full double) and I also have the cash to go a bit more upmarket, so what do you knowledgeable lot recommend? Style-wise, it will be used with an acoustic blues rock type thing, played pizz, although I would like to experiment with arco playing in the future.

I started with a Stagg and then switched to a Yamaha SLB200.Its neck is very similar to a DB and with the stock strings and the adjustable bridge it can be set up very well.I play in a jazz standards quartet and we play some blues and old rock 'n roll as well and it works great for me.It took me a while to get the sound I wanted but the volume and tone controls are VERY sensitive and some time spent fiddling with them is time well spent,many small adjustments can make a huge difference in the sound.Your amp settings will obviously have an impact too.
I use my Laney RB5 for home practice and some gigs but usually plug directly into our Bose PA for most gigs,fantastic but expensive sound.
They are on the high end of the price scale but are reliable and sound and feel great.After almost two years of using it I have no complaints and still love it.I am currently working on my arco technique and although I'm not very good at it I do find the SLB200 works well when bowed.

The obvious contenders are the Yamaha SLB 100 and 200 or the Gage Eminence. Both are around the £2k mark, but are about as close to the DB experience as you'll get with an EUB.

I don't know if Bassix are still in business, but their New Tech EUB looked pretty cool and cost closer to £1k

I started my foray into the world of Double Bass with a Stagg too. It was a good, inexpensive first step and I'm glad I did it.
My next DB purchase was an acoustic DB, but I did like the portability of an EUB - so I saved up and got myself an Eminence...
It's great, but more pricey than say an NS design. But it does have a small body, with an acoustic "chamber" so it can sound more like a true acoustic DB.

The NS design basses do seem very popular. Less expensive than the Yamaha SLB's. Not played either of those, and would like to - but that may give me GAS, rather than solve anything ;)

My advice would be to look out for local bass bash events / DB bashes, and see if you can go along & try as many as you can. Good luck with your search

Thinking aloud here, it is clear that the acoustic properties of a double bass are fundamental to the overall tone, even when that tone is amplified using a bridge mounted piezo style transducer. Part of the physical size of a double bass is down to the need to be heard in a pure acoustic environment and it is that physical size that prevents me from moving to an acoustic db. As an amateur wood butcher, this has got me thinking, how big a body do you need to leverage the tone of a 3/4 size db via piezo?

Edited by JPJ

The body on my Eminence is very small, compared to a truly acoustic DB. When playing it unplugged, it's obviously a lot louder than a stick bass, but much quieter than a DB. It also doesn't have much "bottom end" tonally - however, when amplified, it does sound very like an acoustic DB (with a bit of EQ'ing) and there seems to be plenty of low end oomph, in the amplified sound. It has a Gage Realist pickup fitted, and that works pretty well - but I do like the sound I get from my Shadow pickup & pre-amp (the Shadow is also a piezo).
EDIT: Yes, I have two pickups fitted ;)

Tricky to say how big a body you'd need, but some sort of acoustic, resonant chamber is going to help.
My other DB is a David Gage "Czech Ease" which, while being an acoustic DB, has a smaller body than other 3/4 DB's. It sounds beautiful, but is rather quieter than other acoustic DB's. So if you want the full-bodied, full volume sound - you have to opt for a larger chamber.... Of course, if it's a smaller chamber - that's what amps are for :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1485948571' post='3227887']
This? [url="https://m.facebook.com/groups/298259546971359?view=permalink&id=958531427610831"]https://m.facebook.c...958531427610831[/url]

Not mine btw!
[/quote]

Sorry that's a link to a closed group, any clue as to what it is? :)

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1485973357' post='3228188']
Here's a screenshot Tom, if you're on Facebook you might be able to message the seller.....

[attachment=237109:Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 18.15.31.png]
[/quote]

Cheers Andy, interesting!

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1486054845' post='3228889']
That's a good price for a SLB 200.
I'm local to the seller so if you want someone to check it out, just say the word.

Dave
[/quote]

Thank you Dave, I am chatting to the seller at the moment. If I decide to pull the trigger I will take you up on your very kind offer. Cheers Kev

• 2 weeks later...

So after much humming and haring and lots of internet research I have plumped for that five string KK Baby Bass that was up on eBay for a very reasonable £750. Will report back once I have my hands on her, but the videos I've seen online suggest I'll be able to get the tone in my head, and the body shape/size means its a bit more appealing on the eye than the 'stick' style Yamahas.

• 3 weeks later...

JPJ - congrats! Looking forward to your feedback.

Dand666 - I just spotted a new Stagg on Amazon for £343. As someone also looking to dip their toes into the world of EUB it appears to me a very reasonable price for a widely recommended "starter" instrument? Some of the nicer kit mentioned here does look great and, touch wood, I may find myself one day progressing onto! :)

Any recommendations, fellow BCs, for intro technique material - Todd Phillips seems to be out of stock?

Hi Al,

Well my other thread 'Beware of ParcelFarce' tells the sad tale (and happy ending) of the KK Baby Bass purchase. Because of the repairs, I've only managed one rehearsal with her so far but she did sound amazing and matched the tone and thump I had in my head. In truth, I'm finding it difficult to get sufficient mwah out of the upper strings without dialling out the thump so I will be trying a wing pickup in parallel with the stock mag microphone pickup to see if I can coax this out when amplified as its there in spades acoustically.

First gig with her will be this coming Sunday. I'll only get to use her on a couple of songs, but I'm still really looking forward to it. Its a strange thing, but despite having played normal electric bass off and on for the last forty years, the upright 'feels' more natural to me.

Ah,the upright has seduced you too!I went from EB to a Stagg about 3 years ago and it just "felt right",particularly for the jazz standards my band plays.All of a sudden I felt like a "real" bass player(apologies for that) and started to really learn how to play properly(even working with the bow) and I am a much better player than I ever was on EB.I moved up to a Yamaha SLB 200 and absolutely love it and now feel awkward playing EB which seems "easy" to play now,even if only for a few songs.This slippery slope can lead to an acoustic double bass but so far I have resisted....so far....

Edited by Staggering on

I am feeling the gravitational pull of the big old doghouse, but I need one or both of my daughters to leave home before I dare bring one into this household 😎

So I pulled the trigger on the Stagg (still not quite sure how I managed to pick this up new for less than some of the second hand prices on Gumtree? Still that bodes well in terms of resale value), and Hermes seemed to have done a much better job in delivering it intact than your unfortunate Parcelforce experience, JPJ. It's in a lovely violinburst finish and as you said in the first piece on this thread, it does seem to be a fun, playable thing to own! Looking forward to playing it live, later in 2017.

JPJ - what pickup did you upgrade it with? Any recommendations (from you or anyone else) for beginner's technique material?