Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to......

Bilbo

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1485203482' post='3222116']
He did so in the late 70's while remaining very much active in music, and later sold the estate to an environmental organisation, back in the 90's I believe.

[/quote]

15,000 acre Strathaird estate on Skye to the John Muir Trust

Anderson didnt care about the cash ( 3/4 million ) so he could be fussy and the JM trust got it becuase it was going to be preserved for conservation

"I didn't want to sell the estate to some hunting shooting, fishing type " unquote. Good for him

Not connected to his Salmon farm in Inverness

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1485206300' post='3222169']
15,000 acre Strathaird estate on Skye to the John Muir Trust

Anderson didnt care about the cash ( 3/4 million ) so he could be fussy and the JM trust got it becuase it was going to be preserved for conservation

"I didn't want to sell the estate to some hunting shooting, fishing type " unquote. Good for him

Not connected to his Salmon farm in Inverness
[/quote]
Right, yes, I was referring to Strathaird. And no, he didn't really need the compensation. He was a rich man before yesterday.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1485202592' post='3222108']
He came around and fixed my roof tiles after a storm about 9/10 years ago.
I went round his house not long after, he was thinking about unloading a Bass on Ebay at the time. (might well have been the Bass you mentioned, or possibly a P-Bass)
Also I have quite a funny story concerning the insurance company involved with my roof....Not for public airing though. :D

Yes, he occasionally turned up at The Oysterfleet (I was there on one occasion).
He is still in the building trade as far as I know.
[/quote]

:) Thanks for the update, Sir.

He was such a talented bass player and so right for the band.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1485203482' post='3222116']

He did so in the late 70's while remaining very much active in music, and later sold the estate to an environmental organisation, back in the 90's I believe.

Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond, bass player for Jethro Tull from 1970 to 1975, quit to pursue his true passion of painting and hasn't touched a bass in 40 years.
[/quote]I wonder what happened to his stripey Jazz? I heard he burned the matching suit.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1485161778' post='3221537']
Fergal Sharkey, after leaving the Undertones and a short solo career, didn't leave the music industry, but worked for some Government QUANGO to do with the industry bit never performed again AFAIK
[/quote]

I saw Fergal Sharkey at the Mute Records Weekend a few years back with Vince Clarke. Performing The Assembly's only single, does that count?

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1485190877' post='3221946']
Jim Lea released an album late last year, with the single being played a fair bit on Radio 2.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR28HcoznX8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=rR28HcoznX8[/url]

According to The Daily Mail (!!!), Jim Lea & Noddy Holder each receive around £250,000 a year from the Christmas hit.

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3374311/Poisonous-feud-merriest-Christmas-hit-earns-fortune-two-Slade-s-stars-ZILCH.html"]http://www.dailymail...tars-ZILCH.html[/url]
[/quote]

Last I heard - last year - it was £800k each.
As already said Jimmy's new single was "Record of the week" on Radio 2's Ken Bruce show - he's a bit of a fan. A few years ago Jim studied psychotherapy (hence the album name) to make sense of his thoughts on the music industry and his life in general.
Apparently the reason he got sick of MXE was because of Nod making the song all about him in annual interviews, so he set the record straight on a recent Johnnie Walker show on Radio 2 (it's still on iPlayer if you're interested).
Jim has a two page interview in the March edition of Mojo, he certainly sounds perkier than he has of late. In a German magazine about 18 months ago he said he'd been battling the C.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1485242019' post='3222326']
I wonder what happened to his stripey Jazz? I heard he burned the matching suit.
[/quote]
He left all his gear behind. I remember reading in a fairly recent interview with him on a Tull board that apparently, sometime in the 80's, he spotted his striped Precision (I think it was a Precision, but he might have had several black-and-whites) on the telly, as some other bassist was playing it, something he wasn't too chuffed about. He never mentioned what band it was, though. I suppose one could plough through every episode of TOTP and The Tube from the 80's and we might find out!

[attachment=236589:Jeffrey Hammond.jpg][quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1485270267' post='3222647']
He left all his gear behind. I remember reading in a fairly recent interview with him on a Tull board that apparently, sometime in the 80's, he spotted his striped Precision (I think it was a Precision, but he might have had several black-and-whites) on the telly, as some other bassist was playing it, something he wasn't too chuffed about. He never mentioned what band it was, though. I suppose one could plough through every episode of TOTP and The Tube from the 80's and we might find out!
[/quote]You're quite right, it was a Precision, I was mugged by other pics of him with a Jazz. Found some great pics of Tull whilst looking too.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1485202050' post='3222092']
Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull fame became a salmon farmer up on the Isle of Skye.He owns a large estate there.
[/quote]

IIRC, he also owned a record pressing plant called SRT that his daughter ran for him..

And Fergal Sharkey was an A&R guy for Polydor in the early 90s I believe.. had some very wide-shouldered, 'power-dressing suits' that were as far away from his punky Undertones look as you could possibly imagine.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1485202050' post='3222092']
Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull fame became a salmon farmer up on the Isle of Skye.He owns a large estate there.
[/quote]

His son in law is that bloke from tellys' The Walking Dead.