Why become a member? ×

Help with a new rig

slowworm

Hi,

I have been using my dirt cheap rig for a long time but advancing years means I really do need to get something lighter and easier to take to gigs.

I play in a pub/club covers band - mainly rock/pop and some new wave and punk. Up to now I have been using a second hand Hartke 2500 head and 4x10 and 1x15 XL cabs. I stopped hauling two cabs a while ago because I never put the volume above 1 with the gain set middling and just didn't need that many speakers. Now I am using the 4x10 only which is plenty loud enough. I use an active Fender Jazz Deluxe.

I have been wondering what to do for a long time, all the while lugging the big old cab to gigs. The sound I get is good enough for my cloth ears, but I have played through a TC Electronic Rs 210, 112 and RH750 and the sound was VERY loud but very punchy - I liked it a lot. I have toyed with getting Hartke Hidrive 1x12s but I'm not sure what I should do.

My budget is around £1000 for a new rig including amp. What might I get that is nice and light and will give me enough sound to contend with the rest of the band?

Would two RS112's and a RH450 or Classic 450 go loud enough? The reduction in size and weight is very appealing. I also considered two Eden 12 inch cabs because they were nice and small (and pretty cheap).

I would really appreciate any pointers...how small could I go and still get a nice tight and reasonably loud bass sound?

The RH750 has Tweetertone on it, so enables a more defined sound on the top-end, neither the RH450 or Classic450 have this, so they won`t be able to go as "sharp" on the top. Two 1x12s and a good micro-head should be plenty loud enough for pubs/clubs, I`ve been using a single 2x12 cab for ages with a variety of micro-amps and have never found it wanting (it is a Barefaced cab though, so pretty efficient). TC heads do tend to work better with their own cabs from what I`ve read though. Certainly the RH450 or Classic 450 should be loud enough, I had the Classic for a while, and have used the RH and never had any issues on volume, and at the time I was playing punk covers.

I've got to give the BH550/800 heads from TC a strong mention too as they sound fantastic and if you don't care much for dragging a pedalboard around it has 2 TonePrint effects slots built in. You do sacrifice the Tweetertone and illuminated knobs of the RH series but as the tweetertone feature only works with TC's own cabs I'd question how useful a feature it really is in the grand scheme of things. You'll save a fair bit of cash going the BH route too which leaves more for the cabs ;-)

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1485110276' post='3221186']
I've got to give the BH550/800 heads from TC a strong mention too as they sound fantastic and if you don't care much for dragging a pedalboard around it has 2 TonePrint effects slots built in. You do sacrifice the Tweetertone and illuminated knobs of the RH series but as the tweetertone feature only works with TC's own cabs I'd question how useful a feature it really is in the grand scheme of things. You'll save a fair bit of cash going the BH route too which leaves more for the cabs ;-)
[/quote]

Can you illuminate how the tweetertone only works with TC cabs ? :-)

I have a TC Classic 450 and Barefaced 2x10 which is plenty loud enough in my rock covers band. On the odd occasion I need more volume I put a bit through the PA. Got to 4 on the master volume in one pub.

Second hand price for both was well under a grand.

Edited by mep

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1485110748' post='3221190']
Can you illuminate how the tweetertone only works with TC cabs ? :-)
[/quote]
I was going to ask the same thing. I have a TC RH750 which I use with a Barefaced BB2 and it certainly 'does something' to my ears...And the something is good too!

As long as there is nothing wrong with the amp I'd keep it (upgrade it later when you're happy you've got the right cab) and put all your budget into the best cab you can find. My opinion is you should be looking at Bergantino and Barefaced cabs.

I recently upgraded from Peavey 450 tour head, Hartke 410xl and VX210 cab to Markbass traveler 210's and little mark head. My back is very happy with me, the cabs and amp (in shoulder bag) are easily carried in one journey from the car, I got to the stage where I needed 2 people to help me lift the HArtke 410 cab in and out, or up stairs, the Markbass gear is so portable and takes up a very small footprint - both on stage and in my house. Also really pleased with the clarity of sound from the Markbass gear, loads more headroom, punchy defined speakers and more than enough tone shaping from the amp. I'm also like you - playing some rock, punk, new wave and a bit of ska. Using a Geddy Lee Jazz bass which sounds great through the new kit where before I was sometimes struggling to get some definition int he sound, bass would be either too woolly or have little presence, mark bass amp is mostly just set flat 12'o'clock on the tone and you can hear a lot more clearly the tone range from the bass, balancing the neck and bridge pickups as well as finger position. Its very transparent and surprisingly loud for its diminutive stature.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1485167892' post='3221628']
The old saying "you learn something new every day" springs to mind! I have to ask though, is the effect any different to actually turning the tweeter level knob on the back of the cab?
[/quote]

Yes and no. It's designed to replicate the tweeter control that many cabs have, but doesn't actually control the cab itself, rather it reproduces the effect of turning the control with TCs own interpretation. It works best if you turn your cab tweeter control up, then use tweetertone on the head to adjust. If your cab has no tweeter or if you have turned the tweeter control on the cab down or off then the tweetertone is of limited value.

If you are going down the RH route I would say that the 750 is definitely worth the extra cost over the 450. I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge will be able to explain any internal differences, but to my (cloth) ears at least, the 750 is a far better sounding head. If you want even lighter, I've been using a GK MB Fusion for the last few months and have to say it's my fave class D to date. I've tried RH450, 750, GB Shuttle 9.2 and Aguilar TH500, but the GK seems to be exactly what I've been looking for. Having said that, I would have no qualms whatsoever going back to a RH750, it's a good head with an excellent feature set. As for cabs, I'm a Barefaced user but there are lots of excellent options in the lightweight cab field right now. I second what Lozz said, that TC heads do seem to work better with their own cabs though.

Edited by ern500evo

All these are excellent suggestions and I have got a good list of options to try to audition. I am lucky to live within spitting distance of Bass Direct, although as always auditioning gear is a little daunting as I am very definitely a 'workman' bassist. However, I do know the sound I like and am looking for, although with my slim budget it might be second hand I need to go for. I definitely get the point about putting all my resources into getting a really good cab then upgrading the amp when I can.

The reason I initially was thinking about having two 1x12s was because we do fairly regularly do 'acoustic' nights where I have gone through our PA - but felt maybe I could use a single 12 on those occassions. At the other end of the scale I like to feel I have got plenty of oomph to spare if necessary, which was one of the reasons I liked the TC stuff. When I played through the RH750, 2x12 and 1x12 I couldn't believe how big and clear and tight the sound was with my active bass compared with the woolly thump of my Hartke cab.

I have to be grateful for the Hartke gear though - I have without a doubt got my 150 quid's worth out of it and I am not knocking it. I just heard the TC sound and thought WOW, I NEED to hear my bass through that. I maybe need to listen to the sound of something like the Markbass or Bareface and see what I think. The other rig I have experience of is EBS Neoline 112's and a Reidmar head which was a reasonably small rig but sounded punchy to me. The trouble with playing in a shop is I didn't feel I could go to 'gig volume' obviously and I couldn't hear myself alongside drums etc.

I'm going to go through all the suggestions here and try to see what might fit into my budget. Thank you!

[quote name='slowworm' timestamp='1485375448' post='3223527']I have to be grateful for the Hartke gear though - I have without a doubt got my 150 quid's worth out of it and I am not knocking it.[/quote]

Bargain! The approach I always recommend with our stuff is stick with your current head initially, rehearse/gig with the Barefaced cabs and see how the rig sounds/performs and then based on that info it's far far easier to choose an upgrade head with the right tone and power for your needs (and with some heads you realise the old head is actually perfect, it was the cabs holding it back - though in this case I think you'll appreciate more power with smaller but more potent cabs). If you change both at once that can introduce too many variables and make it harder to find what you really need.

I like to think of the the chain as bassist-bass-(optional FX)-amp-cab-bassist The bassist determines both what they need and how they play, so that's the biggest two variables (and what they need depends just as much as the player as on the band they're in or the music they play). Without hearing the bassist play and hearing how they want/need to sound in the band(s) they're in it's very difficult to recommend what all the other components of the signal change should be. But one at a time isn't too hard if you know what you're doing!

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking around for new head amp small size. Actually it should be like hot back up of my thunderfunk 750.

Now I saw some advertisement and choice would be between:

Epifani ul501 - already had few years ago, love that even if i sold it due to gas abouth other. Any way i can consider to take it again even if i believe that thunder is much better.

Acoustic Image Focus 1 - never tried one but I am curious to see if it works also with electric bass as famous is for double bass. Then with DB i mainly play with bow but it can happen a gig in a quartett for swing.

Glockenklang Blue Sky - this is the most expensive choice (almost 2 times than others in local used market). It looks more hi end definitive solution.

Any advise about above options or new entry?