Why become a member? ×

Best lighter strings for downtuned 5 string?

Kev

I play in B Flat standard and have struggled to find the right strings for my 34" scale bass.

I prefer playing with as light gauge strings as I can get away with, whilst still having high enough tension for the kind of music (metal) I play.

Dingwall is my main instrument with the band and due to its scale length I can use light gauge strings with no problems. However, on a 34" scale it IS a problem. I typically use along the lines of 45,65,80,100,130 but the tension is understandably not enough when tuning down a step.

Being a little out of touch with the round wound string market at the moment, what are the best strings now for low gauge and high tension? Imagine we are looking at hex cores and thicker cores, but Im not sure whats really working out there. The dunlop heavy core strings look like what I wold want, but bizarrely they do not do 5 string sets!

Kalliums are impossibly expensive and I didn't get on with Newtone that well.

I don't think either of those offer a thicker core in any case. Custom gauge isn't really the issue here, it's higher than 'normal' tension im after.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1485120247' post='3221380']
Try DR strings DDT? I love them but I play heavies.
[/quote]

You know, I overlooked these as I had it in my head that they were much heavier gauge.

The 40-60-80-100-120 would be ideal if its not a gimmick and they are much stiffer, has anyone tried this set?

Guest ixlramp

> what are the best strings now for low gauge and high tension?

This is impossible, actual tension is determined by string mass which is determined by gauge. I guess by 'tension' you mean stiffness that raises 'perceived tension'.
Why do you want stiff (big core) strings? If you don't prefer stiff strings on your Dingwall there's no reason at all to start using them on a shorter scale instrument.
If instead you use larger gauges of a more flexible string you will have the same feel but with better tone, clarity, intonation and harmonicity.
I recommend just using the same brand as on your Dingwall, or another brand you like, but raising the gauges of the lower strings to compensate for the shorter scale lengths of the lower strings.
Something like 45 65 85 105 140 or 45 65 85 110 145. A tension chart can help you match the per-string tensions to what you have on the Dingwall, this chart has scale length as an input value [url="http://store.kaliumstrings.com/TensionCalculator/index.html"]http://store.kaliumstrings.com/TensionCalculator/index.html[/url]

Edited by ixlramp

[quote name='ixlramp' timestamp='1485256422' post='3222460']
> what are the best strings now for low gauge and high tension?

This is impossible, actual tension is determined by string mass which is determined by gauge. I guess by 'tension' you mean stiffness that raises 'perceived tension'.
Why do you want stiff (big core) strings? If you don't prefer stiff strings on your Dingwall there's no reason at all to start using them on a shorter scale instrument.
If instead you use larger gauges of a more flexible string you will have the same feel but with better tone, clarity, intonation and harmonicity.
I recommend just using the same brand as on your Dingwall, or another brand you like, but raising the gauges of the lower strings to compensate for the shorter scale lengths of the lower strings.
Something like 45 65 85 105 140 or 45 65 85 110 145. A tension chart can help you match the per-string tensions to what you have on the Dingwall, this chart has scale length as an input value [url="http://store.kaliumstrings.com/TensionCalculator/index.html"]http://store.kaliums...ator/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

I dont understand where you are coming from here. I like the feel of thinner gauges, but prefer the 'perceived tension' (as you put it) of thicker strings. The DR strings seem to be exactly that, as they have thicker less flexible cores and less winding.

The key here is not having thick strings, and sadly that is all using things like the kalium chart will suggest, hence this thread :)

Edited by Kev

Guest ixlramp

Ok if you like and use stiff strings on your Dingwall that makes sense, but you will still need to raise the gauge of the lower strings to maintain the tension you prefer.

Or perhaps you are using flexible strings on the DIngwall and need stiff strings on the 34" to compensate for the loss of tension due to the shorter scale, this seems more likely. But you may not like the tone of stiff strings, it will be duller and more inharmonic. The whole idea of the Dingwall scale is longer, thinner strings for clarity and harmonicity.

When you say you like the feel of thinner gauges, are you concerned with the feel of the diameter of the string? I know some players are but that is bizarre, the tactile feel of the diameter is of no significance and is a tiny change (quarter mm between .100 and .110), the other aspects of a string take priority and you will soon get used to it. I think it's a case of feeling a slight difference in diameter and letting that bother you, instead, i feel it's better to decide what is best (larger more flexible strings) and get used to the feel.

Edited by ixlramp