Why become a member? ×

PAT testing

graham1945

4 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I carry one of those cheap plug in testers in my gig bag to check the polarity and if it has an earth, better than any certificate. 

Me too. Always found marquees to be the likeliest culprits although some older theaters can be problematic also.

• Like 1

I was going to say about those plug in testers, much better to know you've go an earth connected in their socket than having a year old sticker on your amp. 

Yes your own gear should be in good nick, and let's face it, I'd bet it usually is, but if any problem were to arise then shouldn't the venue's circuit breakers trip before anyone got hurt anyway? 

I'll add that all our gear is PA tested as we have been asked before, weirdly not any major venues we've played. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I carry one of those cheap plug in testers in my gig bag to check the polarity and if it has an earth, better than any certificate. 

Was a recent recall on one brand of those ( I think it was a fluke model? But don’t quote me ) as it caused more risk than it solved. I’m sure the recall notice is in a workshop at work, I’ll try and find it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Angelus said:

Was a recent recall on one brand of those ( I think it was a fluke model? But don’t quote me ) as it caused more risk than it solved. I’m sure the recall notice is in a workshop at work, I’ll try and find it. 

I wouldn't shell out for a fluke one anyway as I tend to leave them plugged in at my last job miles away anyway! Oops 

• Haha 1