Why become a member? ×

Short scale bass for guitarist transitioning to bass?

richh

Hi, I am a guitarist used to playing Fender and Gibson style electric six string guitars. I got a Squier Jazz Bass (Indonesian) a while back, and am enjoying using this for recording and looping to put ideas together. While it is a really nice bass for the money, I'm interested in getting something better, and especially easier to play.

Given that I'm really comfortable with the scale length of electric 6 string guitars (strat, les paul, etc), I'm wondering generally if it would be easier for me to get a short scale bass, or if anybody has any specific recommendations for a good bass for somebody who is primarily a guitarist?

So it is two things really - scale length and also that I'm prepared to spend money to upgrade to something better in any case.

If anybody has any suggestions that would be great please!

Thanks!

Plenty of options. Fender/Squire do quite a few short scales. I am looking to get an SWB bass as I play short scale. I have played lots of standard or long scale, if you like, I simply prefer the comfort and sound of the SS bass. I also came from a guitar background and have small hands. Give a short scale a try and see how it feels for you.

It would make sense to buy before you try as not everyone likes them. It would also make sense to buy one that was either cheap or held its resale value, in case you don't get on with it or want to get a better one.

Which one? Take your pick:
[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/short_scale_basses.html"]https://www.thomann.de/gb/short_scale_basses.html[/url]

If you are comfortable with Fenders then Squier do some remarkably good SS basses. The Jag is good. I had a VM Mustang that was actually superb. If you like fun and funky it is hard to beat a Danelectro Longhorn.

I've had 3 SS basses:

Gretsch Junior Jet II - bit of a 1 trick pony tone-wise, good value, sold on.

Epiphone Viola - good finish, narrower finger board, had my luthier work on the bridge to achieve a good action, light-weight, thumpy, good access to higher frets, gave it to my grandson as it's a good learner bass and different in a quirky way, I have a soft spot for them.

Squier VM mustang - my current SS, narrow finger board, effective tone control, well made MII, limited access to higher frets, a definite keeper.

If you can try playing an instrument fitted with flat-wounds to see if you like them, I'm a long-standing confirmed flat-wound player.

Thanks for all the replies and a couple of PM's.

I'll try some short scale instruments and see how I get on with them. I'd probably look to buy (or trade) for a good quality bass used so that if I didn't bond with it, I could hopefully trade for something else. That is something I've done a lot of on guitar forums, and I have too many 6 string electrics, so I'd rather cut down to fewer instruments, but have really good quality, easy to play ones.

[quote name='richh' timestamp='1485086413' post='3220962']
Thanks, the Vista Musicmaster looks good - is this a current production model though, or would I have to buy a used one? I don't mind either way, but I can't seem to find that model available as a stock item in the UK
[/quote]

The Squier 'Vista' series was a short run of models made in China during the late 90s for just a couple of years. They have since achieved something like cult status. I had a Vista Musicmaster and it was very nice - better, in fact, than a Fender Musicmaster I owned. But I still preferred the Squier VM Mustang - it was every bit as well built as the Vista Musicmaster but, I found, easier to play and with a slightly less aggressive pickup. Also lighter and with a narrower neck, which suited me. Of all the short string basses I have owned, which admittedly isn't that many - I think 6, it was my favourite.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1485098907' post='3221086']
What's the Fender short-scale 6-string bass called?
[/quote]

Ah, the Fender Bass VI - probably another good transition option from guitar (particularly as you have identical tuning then), but quite a different beast from what we tend to think of as a "bass guitar." A shorter scale length even than a short-scale bass, and the feel is much more akin to playing a conventional electric guitar, though obviously with a bassier sound.

Hi Rich, Re: "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Given that I'm really comfortable with the scale length of electric 6 string guitars (strat, les paul, etc), I'm wondering generally if it would be easier for me to get a short scale bass".[/font][/color]

I would take a step back before buying a short scale and just to check that you aren't trying to play a bass like you play your guitar. When I began playing bass I often attempted, what were in retrospect silly "lead guitar style" left hand stretches that made playing difficult and sometimes painful. You can move your left hand around and don't need to stretch like that.

The first thing is to look at your technique and enjoy playing within the limits of your instrument. Once you get that you can improve/get faster with practice.

Then go and look for the right bass. There are plenty of very playable basses out there. If the jazz doesn't work then other famously playable thin necked basses include the Japanese Bass Collections or the current Ibanez SR's. You may like short scale, you may even find that you prefer thicker necks or that 34" works for you.

Edited by Pinball