Why become a member? ×

Advice needed on Barefaced cab conversion

lownote

Coming soon - the Barefaced Modulator: Plug-in modules allow you to run any combination of speakers at any impedance just by selecting the correct module.

[size=2]WARNING! Incorrect module selection may result in brown notes and disintegrated bank balances.[/size]

I wouldn't bother. I've been using a Compact (8ohm) & 12ohm 2x10 as as my rig for the past couple of years in a blues rock band playing small/medium sized venues, and both cabs were a bit overkill & only used a dozen or so times. I'd happily gig the 210 on its own, and did on a few occasions. I've recently sold the 210 as I'm going to get another compact or big twin instead as I prefer the sound.

But just before I sold it, I put the two cabs together & did an AB test with my 500w Markbass head. Leaving the settings on the amp the same, the two cabs seemed to output similar volumes - the 210 only slightly less, if anything. The Compact had a bit more 'boom' to it, but that's what the cab does so no surprises there.

I'm in the same dilemma as the OP - picked up a used 12ohm two10 and ordered the 4ohm conversion kit from Alex.

Mine did come with full instructions, and they emailed them to me as well in PDF, so if you'd like them, let me know and I'll pass it on.

Haven't done the conversion either, I've gigged and rehearsed it at 12ohms, and that was only with a TC BH250 head, and had no problems at all.

Having spent on the kit, I kind of feel I should get it done, but it really works fine as it is.......

Now heard from Alex, which pretty much deals with the issue:

"When people ask me about it on the phone I usually say something like 'it isn't complicated but it is a time consuming pain in the neck because you have to take the grill off, the speakers out, gaskets stick, etc etc'.

"The instructions do cover how to remove speakers without denting anything, how to feed the wire through the insulation without tearing it out, etc etc. In future I'll ask that instructions are sent before anyone buys a kit thinking it's going to be an effortless process."

Shame I didn't get any, but I've now had a fulsome apology from Bareafced. And a belated copy of the instructions. Geez, it's probably 'easy' if you're an electrician or plumbing engineer at Sizewell B, but for a muppet like me... no way.

People, be at peace with your impedance and meddle not in the affairs of wizards or cabs, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

I've sent the kit back.

Edited by lownote12