Why become a member? ×

Albums you think are great but are critically panned

Cat Burrito

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1485007503' post='3220346']
I don't like it because a, it ain't good and b, Tommy Bolin ain't that good.
[/quote]

Isn't that the point of this thread; Albums you personally like but are deemed to be poor by the majority?

Metallica - St Anger

Well, the first half at least; I like the snare sound, I like the guitar tone, I like they were trying to revist their thrash roots.

Cymabls sound sh*te though and the second half of the album is remarkably ropey.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1485009472' post='3220368']
Sorry, wrong thread :unsure:
[/quote]

Oh no need for an apology I should have put a smiley after my comment to show that I was not being abrasive...

So if anything ...my apologies to you :blush:

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1485015715' post='3220442']
Rush: Presto and Roll The Bones, vilified even by Rush fans, but I like them both - a lot.
[/quote]

Roll The Bones is one of my favourite Rush albums

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1485016606' post='3220452']
Kate Bush - The Dreaming. Critical opinion seems to be that Hounds of Love is her masterpiece, but give me The Dreaming any day!
[/quote]

The Dreaming is without a doubt my favourite Kate Bush Album.

[i]Six [/i]by Mansun. The NME referred to it as a "taste apocalypse"; they loved [i]Attack of the [/i][i]Grey Lantern[/i], probably because it was a much better fit to the narrow definition of cookie-cutter indie and Britpop they had decided were the only fashionable genres of music worth promoting at the time. "Don't Mansun realise prog-rock died out 20 years ago?", they opined.

Well the NME can do one as far as I'm concerned (not just regarding that review, but more generally). [i]Six[/i] is exactly the sort of sprawling, schizophrenic hot mess that drew me into progressive rock in the first place. If Mansun had pressed on in that direction (and, you know, not fallen out with each other), I do wonder whether they could have been favourably compared with Radiohead further down the line.

Oh, and since a few people have brought up Deep Purple...
[quote name='guyl' timestamp='1485004852' post='3220304']
Also saw Deep Purple live after the Abandon album. Everyone around me moaned that Steve Morse wasn't Ritchie Blackmore. But he didn't try to be, and I thought did a great job. A refreshing new take on Deep Purple classics.
[/quote]
...I really quite liked [i]Abandon[/i]. A bit patchy in places, but as long as you're braced for the fact that it won't sound like Deep Purple MkII at their peak, it's a pretty solid album. Ditto [i]Rapture from the Deep.[/i]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1485012785' post='3220410']
I never understood why Tales of Topographic Oceans was so vilified.
[/quote]

True. Not my favorite but it was great live. I saw the tour when they started by playing the whole 4 song double album straight off.

Elbow ,asleep in the back ,a very dark album ,especially, powder blue . Which mr Garvey wrote about two drug addicts he observed one day while in the pub ,a tragic love story, a modern day Romeo and Juliet

Edited by kevvo66

Rush: Presto and Roll The Bones, vilified even by Rush fans, but I like them both - a lot.
[/quote]

Not my favourite Rush albums - but far from their worst. There are a couple of stinkers apiece but that's always been par for the course with Rush, and the worst thing about these albums is Rupert Hine's anaemic production. And his horrid, nasal BVs, of course. But otherwise some great playing, writing and a few proper Rush classics.

On the subject of Rush, I'll raise you Vapor Trails - seems to be universally despised by Rush fans but for me stands out as probably their best post-80s work. Genuinely challenging & inventive musically, and the best & most genuine lyrics of Pearts career, considering the very dark place from which they came. The production of the original release was dreadful (a theme with Rush, IMO) but not enough to overshadow the music, and the later remix fixed most of those issues.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1485031105' post='3220627']
Me neither, I like it. Except side three, side three's dreadful.
[/quote]

And it'll probably come as no surprise that some people - such as me - think side three is the best! (It's side four that's a let-down for me.)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1485012785' post='3220410']
I never understood why Tales of Topographic Oceans was so vilified.
[/quote]

Because (and I say this as a huge Yes fan) it's one OK album's worth of material smeared thinly across four sides of vinyl... Even Mr Wakeman thinks so. It's a shame that when Steve Wilson was given the job or remixing and recutting TFTO he only did alternate mixes and an extended version using some outtakes. What I would LOVE to hear is Mr Wilson being given free reign to take all the 24/48 track master tapes and recut them into 45 minutes of stunning Yes music! Now that would be a very special "Special Edition"!

[/quote]

I'm rather fond of those two albums having seen Rush for the third time on the Roll The Bones tour. I can even cope with the lame rap on the title track. There are a few tracks on Presto that drag abit (Dreamline and the Pass spring to mind) but I even like songs like Anagram.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1485027294' post='3220587']

On the subject of Rush, I'll raise you Vapor Trails - seems to be universally despised by Rush fans but for me stands out as probably their best post-80s work. Genuinely challenging & inventive musically, and the best & most genuine lyrics of Pearts career, considering the very dark place from which they came. The production of the original release was dreadful (a theme with Rush, IMO) but not enough to overshadow the music, and the later remix fixed most of those issues.
[/quote]

Agreed, there are some cracking (if raw and almost disturbing) songs on VT but that original release was a nightmare to listen to. It's no surprise that it's one of the albums that always gets showcased when people write articles about the "Loudness Wars", over compression and digital clipping in post 90s rock music. I really found it so very tiring on the ears to listen to but because of the lack of dynamic range. As you say, the remixed and remastered version is a huge improvement and lets the songs breathe a little and the intensity of the writing and performance shine through on their own terms.