Why become a member? ×

Custom Builds

AdamWoodBass

When i decided to get a custom for my 50th i searched many different luthiers to give me an idea of what they had already built. I then started to narrow it down based on the ones i liked.
Some luthiers make great basses but the styles they have kinda put me off some.
There are different levels of custom too.

Full custom from design to completion - never been done before and could well be a shape that you wanted and then the selection of woods, electronics and pick ups etc.

Standard custom - that's where the luthier has a specific shape of custom and you can select the woods used, pick ups electronics etc and how you want things positioned on the bass.

I personally decided on an Overwater. Main reasons :-
1. i liked what they had already built for others. I had followed them since 80's and knew who they were.
2. reviews were all positive and could find no negatives at all
3. They were close enough for me to visit during build
4. Budget played a big part too
5. Luthiers attitude to you and what you wanted
6. Luthiers flexability during all stages of the build - by that i mean both ways. If he thinks something isn't going to work he may suggest an alternative.
7. Luthiers ability to sit down and discuss what you want, make suggestions, discuss how different woods will sound and any number of initial thoughts before agreeing to go ahead with the build.

The decision on the woods was down to the Luthier for me. I told him what types of bass sounded good to me and sound i was generally looking for. As it was a 6 string fretless he suggested some options and highlighted the weight issue which i hadn't given much thought to. Being a fretless he told me what woods would sound best and he then showed me some wood facings and the wood he would use for my bass should i go ahead.

Its not something to take lightly. Its a lot of money and you need to do as much reasearch as possible before going ahead.
Take notes of what you like in a bass, what sounds good to you, what looks good to you, 4, 5 or 6 string, fretted or fretless.
Take notes of anything you don't like in a bass.
This all helps when meeting with a luthier.
I love the sound of my Warwick Thumb NT but would never be able to play a 6 string version of it for any more than about 30-40mins becasuse of the weight.

My Overwater is the one in my BC pic on left.

The pick up covers were a suggestion by Chris from Overwater and they just finished it off really well.

I've looked at the ACG basses too and they definately are very well built and Alan i've met at bass bash he runs and he knows his stuff. I would be happy to buy an ACG next time.

All the very best if you decide to go for it.

Dave

I'm in a similar situation to AdamWoodBass, as in I'm seriously considering a custom built bass by a UK luthier. I've even been in contact with my preferred maker, to mention specs etc.

I'm kind of torn between getting a production bass from a low output producer (either new or second hand). I know they work, they work for me, and I like the sounds. Thing is though, for very similar money, I could own a one-off bass, with some gorgeous figured timbers, built to my specs etc.

Either option would be superb, but can't decide between one or the orther. Good job I'm skint really. :D

• 3 weeks later...

So after having the pleasure of meeting ead and trying out 3 of his stunning ACG's this weekend at the NW Bass Bash I'm feeling ever more drawn to pulling the trigger on a custom. I'm going to be chatting to Alan at ACG at the London Bass Guitar Show next month and having a look at some more of his creations. I'm starting to develop a much clearer idea now of what I want and I think ACG will deliver it.

Now to start selling internal organs to fund it, how much can you get for a kidney on Ebay these days.......

As I've had a couple of basses made by Mensinger and Maruszczyk, I thought I'd drop in and give some thoughts, but a lot my points may have already come up, so apologies for that.

As a result of owning one or two Fender's that were just far too heavy for my back which permanent damage may have been done, I decided to start shopping around and seeing what was out there, so I went with these guys due to some word of mouth and the massive Maruszczyk thread on the forum, I found their prices and customizability perfect for what I was wanting at the time (An affordable P/J with a weight I could deal with) I decided to go with it based on WOT's thread about his sunburst Jake that he received a while ago. They're pretty good. However, I have some issues with using them and I wish that I'd found out before I used them.

1) There are little to no updates on the status of your bass, they'll give you a lovely sofa shot at the end, which makes up for it. It doesn't bother me that much, however. It might bother some people when going for a custom build

2) Communication is usually solid, aside from emails sometimes not getting replies, but waiting a few days before sending another sort it, but other people have reported getting solid communication, so it might just be me. Also, English isn't Adrian's strong point (They're based in Germany/Poland) so if you want great English communication, go to someone else. But he tells you exactly what they can and cannot do, even if it's sometimes a bit disjointed.

3) They're limited in terms of pickup choice, however, they will get in whatever you want if you request it, but it'll be more.

All in all, I can only recommend actually researching a ton of different builders. Some builders designs might be more to your liking than mine and everybody's budget is different. But these are all thoughts based on my experiences.

Looking at your sig and the basses you already own I'm assuming that you'll inevitably go for a Jazz design.

This puts you in quite a "difficult" area as I've owned many custom Jazz style basses including a GB Spitfire, a Shuker fretless Jazz, and an incredible Overwater. I'd recommend them all. I currently own one of Alan's masterpieces as well as a bass rescued and brought back to life by our own Andy Rogers. You should also give Enfield some consideration because of their unique pick up system.

All are fantastic instruments and you'd be hard pushed to pick between them if they were all in front of you. Does this make your decision harder? If anything, I'd say "No"...you are in the enviable position of knowing that there are many UK builders who can and will build you a great bass...and probably have built it many times over. The bass you're after may well already be out there and if you can find a pre-owned model you may save yourself a few hundred, if not thousands, of pounds.

Check out your local Bass Bashes, even consider travelling to events further afield just to give yourself a chance to try other gear. Some might say that having a custom build can be a minefield, personally I'd say you're almost certainly in for a treat finding what you're looking for.

My advice?...Enjoy the journey before jumping in.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1485200982' post='3222070']

That's a pretty sensible idea. I don't think that what I have in my head is that "radical" in terms of spec/wood combination etc but it's a very good point on the fact that you just don't really know what it's going to be like until you get your hands on the finished bass. That's why I'm trying to get as many stories of personal experience as possible before I get into it, £3000 would leave a fairly sizeable hole in my finances and I'd be mortified if it turned out to not be a bass that I love.
[/quote]

I should probably add that my custom spec for my ACG was based purely on experience. I was lucky enough to have access to thousands of instruments due to my job at the time and had been on trips to some of the best instrument makers in the world to learn about how (mainly acoustic guitars) are constructed and the tonal properties of the tone woods used. All of this knowledge plus a few preferences that I had picked up along the way (again, through trying other basses) led me to the spec for my custom instrument and it turned out almost exactly as I had expected. I was very lucky to be given the opportunity to have those experiences before considering a custom instrument but I can honestly say I couldn't be happier with my ACG. I can't remember the last time I practiced with anything else!

Good luck with yours and if you need any advice, get in touch!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1487100869' post='3237146']
Looking at your sig and the basses you already own I'm assuming that you'll inevitably go for a Jazz design.

This puts you in quite a "difficult" area as I've owned many custom Jazz style basses including a GB Spitfire, a Shuker fretless Jazz, and an incredible Overwater. I'd recommend them all. I currently own one of Alan's masterpieces as well as a bass rescued and brought back to life by our own Andy Rogers. You should also give Enfield some consideration because of their unique pick up system.

All are fantastic instruments and you'd be hard pushed to pick between them if they were all in front of you. Does this make your decision harder? If anything, I'd say "No"...you are in the enviable position of knowing that there are many UK builders who can and will build you a great bass...and probably have built it many times over. The bass you're after may well already be out there and if you can find a pre-owned model you may save yourself a few hundred, if not thousands, of pounds.

Check out your local Bass Bashes, even consider travelling to events further afield just to give yourself a chance to try other gear. Some might say that having a custom build can be a minefield, personally I'd say you're almost certainly in for a treat finding what you're looking for.

My advice?...Enjoy the journey before jumping in.
[/quote] Good ideas here. I think knowing what you're looking for, and why you're going custom is key.
It was an option for me a year or so back, and I eventually concluded that I could find what I was after secondhand.
Actually I decided that what I have currently probably couldn't be bettered (for me), and if it could be, that would cost a lot of money and I would want to try it before spending that money.

Same as always, getting people to list their own preferences probably isn't going to help (although experiences of the process might).
Basically, here is a (not necessarily exhaustive) list of popular luthiers in the UK, talk to them all! Yup, ALL of them (unless you totally hate the look of them). Once you start describing what you (think) you want, you'll get some builders who are enthusiastic and some who are not so much, always go with enthusiasm:

Shuker
ACG
Sei
Status
GB
Overwater
Enfield (SIMs)
Alpher
Jaydee
Wal
Iceni
Gus

Then the slightly less 'custom' options such as:
Bravewood
Limelight
etc etc

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1487348329' post='3239211']
Same as always, getting people to list their own preferences probably isn't going to help (although experiences of the process might).
Basically, here is a (not necessarily exhaustive) list of popular luthiers in the UK, talk to them all! Yup, ALL of them ([b]unless you totally hate the look of them[/b]). [snip]

Si
[/quote]

I know Luthiers are not cat-walk models (mostly) but that's a bit harsh dude! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :gas: :P

We are truly blessed to have so many amazing luthiers on our shores. If budget allows, I would always try and have something built here to support this wonderfully strong community! [size=1](But, of course, would still strongly recommend an Alpher...)[/size]

Edited by Kev

I plan to get a custom built bass when funds permit, i am plan to go with Feline guitars as the fret dress and setup they did on my Fender was 1st class and they really listened to my requirements despite my request for inhumanly low action,that attention to detail and level of skill is well worth paying for imo

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1487350783' post='3239239']
We are truly blessed to have so many amazing luthiers on our shores. If budget allows, I would always try and have something built here to support this wonderfully strong community! [size=1](But, of course, would still strongly recommend an Alpher...)[/size]
[/quote] it is odd isn't it - I wonder how influenced we are by American forums and press that the US versions of our luthiers are revered but ours less so. Some of it is the size of marked I guess - but if I compared Sei to Fodera, or overwater to sadowsky would I find a massive difference in the end product?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1487454993' post='3239994']
it is odd isn't it - I wonder how influenced we are by American forums and press that the US versions of our luthiers are revered but ours less so. Some of it is the size of marked I guess - but if I compared Sei to Fodera, or overwater to sadowsky would I find a massive difference in the end product?
[/quote]

We are all guilty of shopping withour eyes instead of our ears. I as much as anyone. I am happier than I have ever been since moving to five strings, but I still fancy trying a recent Sadowsky 5.

it is odd isn't it - I wonder how influenced we are by American forums and press that the US versions of our luthiers are revered but ours less so. Some of it is the size of marked I guess - [b]but if I compared Sei to Fodera, or overwater to sadowsky would I find a massive difference in the end product?[/b]
[/quote]

Having compared, the answer is no. We have some ASTOUNDING talent over here in the UK. That said, like the US, I am sure we have plenty who are also over-hyped too.

it is odd isn't it - I wonder how influenced we are by American forums and press that the US versions of our luthiers are revered but ours less so. Some of it is the size of marked I guess - but if I compared Sei to Fodera, or overwater to sadowsky would I find a massive difference in the end product?
[/quote]

Being a Sei and Overwater owner, and having tried Fodera and Sadowsky basses, I would say that they are completely different instruments aimed and different players. IMO once you go beyond the budget Fender copy market, you really can't compare different instruments to say what is best. Only what is the most suitable for YOU.

My custom build from AJR guitars (Andy of this forum) is as good as any other custom build i've played.
Better than most. 100% individual spec too.
I'm aware my spec might not be to everyones taste, but i made it for me, not for opinions :)

It has been featured as bass of the week here:

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/06/20/bass-of-the-week-ajr-guitars-singlecut-bass/"]http://www.notreble....singlecut-bass/[/url]

Worth sending him a message i reckon

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1487605257' post='3241118']
My custom build from AJR guitars (Andy of this forum) is as good as any other custom build i've played.
Better than most. 100% individual spec too.
I'm aware my spec might not be to everyones taste, but i made it for me, not for opinions :)

It has been featured as bass of the week here:

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/06/20/bass-of-the-week-ajr-guitars-singlecut-bass/"]http://www.notreble....singlecut-bass/[/url]

Worth sending him a message i reckon
[/quote]

That's a unique looking bass.

I love it.

A custom bass is a very personal thing.

I owned and sold on a graft bass of ACG and instantly ordered a custom J from Alan at ACG.
The communication and advice was top notch, as I new what I wanted it to look like but as I'm a bit short on tech knowledge Alan was able to advise what electronics would give me the sound I wanted.

Safe to say it was flawlessly built and arrived earlier than agreed in the build plan.

I enjoyed playing it for some months before money was needed urgently for something at home and as I had nothing left to sell it had to go.

I often beat myself up about selling it and if it came out for sale again I'd like to be in a position to buy it back but since it was such a beauty it likely won't happen. Beautiful blood red body finish and swirly maple fretboard. Lovely.

I have no experience of any other luthiers but I would go with Alan at ACG again no problem.
Top bloke.

Edited by Black Coffee

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1484934114' post='3219890']
You've sorted out what you want, had it built and you're happy as hell. Five years later and GAS starts gnawing at your brain :huh:
[/quote]

This.

I had a stunning £7000 British made GUS G1. Loved it to bits. Sold it for a fraction of what I paid for it and now play an £800 Cort (which I also love and am not worried if I knock it or even if it gets stolen).

I'd chip in that I ended up going for a half-way measure with a Maruszczyk Elwood. Not a custom bass as such, since it was based on an existing model they did, but they did let me choose anything and everything I wanted for it including number of frets, neck profile, scale length, body woods, electronics and pickups (type and position), hardware make, style and colour etc.

I think the point that people have already made, insofar as it works if you really know what you want is perhaps important here. For me, I wanted a Jazz bass look, but with an MM humbucker in the bridge, 24 frets and a neck profile closer to a P-bass. I've not had a moments GAS since getting the bass around 18 months ago. Perhaps one day I will get another bass, but it would only be because I wanted one with a very different set-up (I have nylons on my main, which I love, but are not good for some styles of music of course).

Price was not crazy either. I know Maruszczyk are known for excellent value. But when you consider that an off-the-shelf fender top end Fender would set you back the best part of £2000.00, and that is a factory mass production instrument, then even some of the less affordable custom instruments start to look very appealing.

I guess some of the very famous workshops (i.e Fedora) charge a large premium, not because they are higher quality per-se but rather because they simply have the demand that means their limited instrument output can command that higher price.