Why become a member? ×

NBD Deluxe Precision Special

Cato

First off apologies for the P poor photos, it's the first time I've ever tried photographing anything with my tablet, and it's not gone well. I might have another go later with my phone to see if that goes any better.

Anyhoo after playing jazz type basses for the last few years I recently started gassing for a Precision, but I knew I'd miss the bridge pickup.

Fender didn't have a PJ in my price range so I was mainly looking at either a Yamaha BB1024x or an Ibanez SR750.

However, a couple of months ago I became aware of the Fender Deluxe Precision Special, the more I researched it, the more I became convinced that it was more or less exactly what I was looking for - a bass that could do the classic Precision sound but also a whole lot more.

Not being able to find one to try locally I took a punt and ordered one blind from Guitar Guitar.(Truly excellent service from them by the way, the bass arrived well packaged and within minutes of the start of the 1 hour window they had promised).

The bass itself has exceeded my expectations. Normally I'd expect it to take a while to adjust to a new bass, but with this I just clicked instantly, probably because of the Jazz width neck. It's just so easy to play. I can't work out what the x factor is because it's not like I was struggling with my other basses, but everything on this just seems effortless.

The construction quality is great and the bass arrived set up more or less perfectly for me (though I should point out that I'm not someone who likes a fag paper action at the first fret, medium low is fine for me). I even like the stock strings.

Plugged in it's an awesome beast. In passive mode it does the classic Precision tone beautifully, roll in the Jazz pickup and it becomes sharper, less thump, more clarity.

In active mode it sings, there's no other word for it. I've found it simple to dial in my preferred tones from a nasally Jaco type growl to a full blooded Stuart Zenderish funk. The harmonics are astonishingly clear and loud.

The bad points? There's nothing bad as such, but the preamp is aggressive to the point where I had to dial back the volume on the bass slightly to avoid it distorting when I dig in. It's also not light, it's well balanced and I initially thought it was slightly lighter than my Jazz, but on the bathroom scales it weighed in at 10lbs, a whole pound heavier than the Jazz.

Overall though I'm extremely chuffed and I can't see myself needing another bass for quite some time.(At least until the urge to complete Leo's trinity with a Stingray becomes overpowering)

Edited by Cato

I bought one of these recently myself, for the same reasons. I just love the P-tone but need the slim Jazz neck, and the bridge pickup to an extent. Like yourself I ordered online, blind. (DV247 though, got a B-stock 2014 model for a lower price, tiny scratch on the back). Really versatile bass, enjoy! Happy NBD!

Edited by ROConnell

You managed to get pics loaded ok then :lol:

Bass looks great. Jazz looks cool too. I wasn't using a strap when playing it in shop so didn't really notice the weight or feel it was an issue but i'm used to heavier basses like my Warwick Thumb and Overwater 6er.

Ordered the Surf Pearl version from GAK at great discount as mates son works there altho Guitar Guitar did offer at a further discount less than £800 to be fair. Nice to know friends of friends i guess. :rolleyes:

Didn't really ramp up the bass in the shop but found that just a little boost of any EQ was sufficient for me thru the shops Markbass head and 4x10. Depth and clarity between the P & J pick ups as required.

Thanks for posting the NBD as its certainly put me at ease buying on line without trying it. Mates son will check the bass over before posting on to me anyways so all should be great.

Let me know how you get on gigging the bass.

All the very best
Dave