Why become a member? ×

New embassy (and also thunderbird) bass, Classic style!

tommorichards

So theres a lot of love for chunky necks! Im in the minority....again.

Funnily enough the Gibson NR reissue I have also has a chunky neck, but, as far as I know, this was again not so in the originals.  I do wonder why they changed it.  Was it to make the headstocks harder to..erm ... displace?  Or was it simply a move to appeal to the (obviously substantial) numbers of potential T bird owners who like chunky necks?

Edited by W1_Pro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, W1_Pro said:

So theres a lot of love for chunky necks! Im in the minority....again.

Yes, it has certainly put me off one of these. I think the thing about the Gibson's (and the last epiphone classic) is the size of the neck, so completely un-fender like, disappointing that they have made it chunky, although I guess not for a lot of people..

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, it has certainly put me off one of these. I think the thing about the Gibson's (and the last epiphone classic) is the size of the neck, so completely un-fender like, disappointing that they have made it chunky, although I guess not for a lot of people..

I certainly wouldn't describe it as chunky, just chunkier that the old ones. Narrow but deep.

16 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Why would it need to be Fender-like? Not everyone likes Fenders. 

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Err.. yes, like me, exactly the point!

Apologies, but your post reads like you’ve been put off by the size of the neck, because it’s un-Fender like. That may not be what you meant (in fact it seems not) but I evidently wasn’t the only one to read it that way.

30 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Apologies, but your post reads like you’ve been put off by the size of the neck, because it’s un-Fender like. That may not be what you meant (in fact it seems not) but I evidently wasn’t the only one to read it that way.

ok, sorry if you read it that way.

I am not a fan of fender necks. Well, fenders in general.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 21:36, Woodinblack said:

ok, sorry if you read it that way.

I am not a fan of fender necks. Well, fenders in general.

I'm with you on this and the chunky neck on the Vintage Pro.  I love the sound but can't get on with the neck so it's the least played of all my T-Birds.  I''m trying to decide if having it re-lacquered would sort it out or if it needs to go for a full on neck shave

9 hours ago, neepheid said:

Chunky? Play a G&L Tribute L-2000 and then tell me the Classic Pro's neck is chunky ;)

Not sure of the relevance - the L2000 is nothing like a thunderbird. I have an L2500 and yes its a big neck (although not as clumsy feeling as a precision) but it is more a precision style. A thunderbird neck (like a proper one) is very small - I have an epiphone classic and its neck is much closer to my old ibanez sr 4 string. So we were talking about it being chunky 'for a thunderbird'

Edited by Woodinblack

40 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Not sure of the relevance - the L2000 is nothing like a thunderbird. I have an L2500 and yes its a big neck (although not as clumsy feeling as a precision) but it is more a precision style. A thunderbird neck (like a proper one) is very small - I have an epiphone classic and its neck is much closer to my old ibanez sr 4 string. So we were talking about it being chunky 'for a thunderbird'

Fair enough, my bad for skim reading and going off on a "chunky as a general term" tangent.  Yes, It's chunky for a Thunderbird neck. Carry on...

• 1 year later...
On 17/06/2018 at 21:16, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I bought a set of Gotoh GB640 res-o-lite twiddlers for my thunderbird and got around to fitting them today. In my haste I think I could have fitted them a little straighter so I'll probably refit them at some point but I'm very happy with the classic vintage-cool 'long stem' look. The stock Wilkinsons were OK but in addition of look much better these are lighter and smoother.

This GB640 set tunes the standard way, but there's also a GBR640 set which have reverse gearing like vintage Klusons and other modern versions that look like Klusons. Another difference common to the GB640 & GBR640 is that the baseplate fits flat without needing to drill dimples like you would for original vintage & vintage replica versions.

They are made from something called duralumin alloy and weigh just 67g each.

tbird-gb640-front.jpg

tbird-gb640-back.jpg

Hi J-L P I finally got around to getting a set of those Gotoh 640's for my Vintage Pro, and have found that the bushings are slightly too small for the holes. Did you leave the original Epiphone bushings in, or have you used the Gotoh's? If so, how did you get around that difference in size? I also noticed that the string pole (whatever it's called) could have done with being a bit longer.