Why become a member? ×

New embassy (and also thunderbird) bass, Classic style!

tommorichards

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

That's normal, it's supposed to match the radius of the fingerboard. Although in my experience the A and D are too high.

Exactly my thinking, however I am getting used to the feel of it.

The relative heights of the bridge should match the radius of the fingerboard. Since the bridge is specifically produced for this particular bass, there isn't any reason for the action of each string to be individually adjustable. If there is a problem on just one string then there is probably something wrong with the frets.

• 3 weeks later...

I need a hard case for my Thunderbird Vintage Pro. I'm happy to use my Ritter thunderbird gigbag laid across the back seat when I'm going to a rehearsal or gig in my car, but I need something with more protection when it goes in the back of the van.

Is the Epiphone thunderbird hardcase (the non-rectangular version) long enough for the vintage pro, or does the end of the headstock touch the end allowing any shocks or bumps to possibly affect the bass? Can anyone suggest a hard case that is big enough to protect the Epiphone vintage pro properly? Anyone have a Gator GWE-TBIRD-BASS or Freestyle Thunderbird Case, or other alternative?

38 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I need a hard case for my Thunderbird Vintage Pro. I'm happy to use my Ritter thunderbird gigbag laid across the back seat when I'm going to a rehearsal or gig in my car, but I need something with more protection when it goes in the back of the van.

Is the Epiphone thunderbird hardcase (the non-rectangular version) long enough for the vintage pro, or does the end of the headstock touch the end allowing any shocks or bumps to possibly affect the bass? Can anyone suggest a hard case that is big enough to protect the Epiphone vintage pro properly? Anyone have a Gator GWE-TBIRD-BASS or Freestyle Thunderbird Case, or other alternative?

It fits the Epiphone case but you have to insert it headstock first or it catches the fur lining.

• 4 weeks later...

So yeah, i bought one of the thunderbirds yesterday from Dawsons in liverpool. It was my birthday and id played it for half an hour, it wasn't the first time i'd played it either (It looks like they'd taken the time to set it up so it played beautifully), and i also got it discounted to £450. Its beautiful. Ill post pictures soon, but i just love everything about it.

My only issue/gripe, is how light the fretboard is, so i may look at ways of darkening it. It may just need oiling, but i think its just the wood colour.

Edited by tommorichards
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, tommorichards said:

So yeah, i bought one of the thunderbirds yesterday from Dawsons in liverpool. It was my birthday and id played it for half an hour, it wasn't the first time i'd played it either (It looks like they'd taken the time to set it up so it played beautifully), and i also got it discounted to £450. Its beautiful. Ill post pictures soon, but i just love everything about it.

My only issue/gripe, is how light the fretboard is, so i may look at ways of darkening it. It may just need oiling, but i think its just the wood colour.

Good man! I've had two, the first one had a pale fretboard. My current one is much darker.

I've been playing it all day. It's a beast.

1 minute ago, tommorichards said:

It sounds a beast, which is my favourite part about it. Did you return it, or just buy two then?

Anyone know where to get a neck pickup cover though? I'm trying to go bicentennial

I was so enamoured I bought another, then realised it was a bit daft to have two. The second one was heavier but had a bit more grunt so I kept that one.

You can get covers on eBay, but they are pricey. I bought a finger rest, purely for aesthetics. Yet to be fitted, of course 😂

1 minute ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I was so enamoured I bought another, then realised it was a bit daft to have two. The second one was heavier but had a bit more grunt so I kept that one.

You can get covers on eBay, but they are pricey. I bought a finger rest, purely for aesthetics. Yet to be fitted, of course 😂

Can you point me to where you bought it? The bridge cover is easy, but the neck one not so much.

Congratulations on getting your Thunderbird tommo. (be careful when swinging that massive headstock) What colour did you get? If I were you I wouldn't put a thumb rest or covers on mine. You can't capture the Bicentennial vibe with the jack socket where it is!  The only reason I put a chrome bridge and machine heads on my Classic Pro, is because I didn't like the Black hardware on Sunburst.

6 hours ago, tommorichards said:

Its the sunburst one. I know i wont capture the entire look, but i do enjoy chrome covers on things. I've found a source for them, a chap called Dason Scott who make them, but theyre $65 per cover (bridge and neck), so i may not get one for a while.

I got my tug bar from him. Scott Dasson. He knows his Thunderbirds.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Scott Dasson. He knows his Thunderbirds.

and so he should, he's owned plenty,  also his Badbird Bridge impressed Geddy Lee so much that he's had them fitted to his Thunderbirds.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/09/2018 at 12:55, Cosmo Valdemar said:

My Thunderbird is having the new machine heads and tug bar fitted as we speak! I'm missing it, but it will be worth it.

Actually it's going to take a bit longer - we can't decide on the exact placement of the tug bar. It seems Gibson were never sure either so I can't get an accurate guide.

It's all academic really as I'm only putting it on because it looks cool, but we musn't take drilling holes lightly!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...