Why become a member? ×

New embassy (and also thunderbird) bass, Classic style!

tommorichards

On 29/04/2018 at 17:22, dannybuoy said:

My previous gen Classic Pro with hard case is up for 275 if you fancy saving a few quid!

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/323941-epiphone-thunderbird-classic-pro-in-vintage-sunburst-with-fitted-hard-case/

Sorry mate, I already have one, (complete with cheeky Gibson TRC too) yours shouldn't hang around long as it's a bargain with a case included.

Edited by pst62

54 minutes ago, tommorichards said:

Has anyone added the pickup and bridge covers to one of these yet? Make it essentially a reissue.

I considered it but decided it would be for visuals only, as they do nothing but get in the way when I'm playing. They are also rather expensive!
I have purchased some long stem tuners and a tug bar, both yet to be fitted, but I will be sure to post a picture when they're on!

Sounds like you're a function over fashion guy. I reckon they would get in the way, but then also allow you to try playing in a different way. 

To be fair, i installed covers on my jazz bass, then took them off about two weeks later as they got in the way haha.

A couple of weeks ago, after getting some fret buzz I found there was no relief in the neck. Over a period I have loosened the rod over half a turn, been over a week since last adjustment and I'm still waiting for some movement. I hope I am turning it the right way (anticlockwise) as it feels like the nut is getting tighter and I'm loathe to turn much more.

Reminds me of when I went to put some more relief on my Thumb Bass neck and finding there was no tension on the rod. (Also after turning anticlockwise I found I was tightening it) I took it out and the neck still never moved with strings tensioned. I had to put the rod back in the opposite way and tension it to put in some relief. Won't be able to do that on the t Bird.

37 minutes ago, tommorichards said:

Sounds like you're a function over fashion guy. I reckon they would get in the way, but then also allow you to try playing in a different way. 

To be fair, i installed covers on my jazz bass, then took them off about two weeks later as they got in the way haha.

If you ever met me, you would know that to be true :biggrin:

I would never consider adapting my playing style to fit around the covers, unless they had a functional need to be there - a horseshoe Rick pickup, for example, is going to be there whether you like it or not so it's something to get used to! Not that I imagine owning a vintage RM1999 anytime soon...

That said, I've been looking through some old photos and came across a pic of a Burgundy Mist Fender Jazz I used to own, resplendent in bridge and pickup covers. Now that was really something. Seller's remorse.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2018 at 17:57, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I went for the white one. It had to be. I do wish it was a bit creamier, but it is off-white, being a darker shade than the scratchplate.

I've just purchased an ebony tug bar and some Gotoh long stem tuners as the Wilkinson ones on at the moment don't quite look the part. They work perfectly well though. Pics to follow when they're on!

I agree about the Wilkinson tuners. What model number are the Gotoh's mate, I might consider doing the same if the holes match up.

17 hours ago, pst62 said:

I agree about the Wilkinson tuners. What model number are the Gotoh's mate, I might consider doing the same if the holes match up.

I went for these:

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/gb640.html

They will fit, but they won't line up with the screw holes, so a bit of drilling will be required. It's a bit annoying as the Vintage Pros sold in the US have larger plate Wilkinsons, and the Gotohs line up perfectly. Over here, the Vintage Pros use the smaller plate Wilkinsons designed to fit Music Man basses.

On 02/05/2018 at 10:52, Cosmo Valdemar said:

II went for these:

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/gb640.html

They will fit, but they won't line up with the screw holes, so a bit of drilling will be required. It's a bit annoying as the Vintage Pros sold in the US have larger plate Wilkinsons, and the Gotohs line up perfectly. Over here, the Vintage Pros use the smaller plate Wilkinsons designed to fit Music Man basses.

I don't like the idea of drilling new holes. Anyway mine arrived Monday and is waiting to go back. How Epi's QC and even worse the person who lacquered over it didn't see it is beyond me.

New T.jpg

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, pst62 said:

I don't like the idea of drilling new holes. Anyway mine arrived Monday and is waiting to go back. How Epi's QC and even worse the person who lacquered over it didn't see it is beyond me.

New T.jpg

Oh dear! Looks like it's been grazed rather than a poor lacquer... could be wrong though.

As for fitting the machine heads, I wouldn't attempt it myself but luckily I know an excellent guitar tech!

18 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Oh dear! Looks like it's been grazed rather than a poor lacquer... could be wrong though.

As for fitting the machine heads, I wouldn't attempt it myself but luckily I know an excellent guitar tech!

It's all under the lacquer mate.

11 hours ago, pst62 said:

It's not showing on their website but Andertons have the Ebony vintage Pro in stock, mine arrives Tomorrow.

I rang them yesterday afternoon and they said they only have the sunburst. They have no delivery date for white or ebony and have to just wait and see.....
Maybe they DID have an ebony or two in stock temporarily but only to meet existing orders (yours included)....?!

9 hours ago, cetera said:

I rang them yesterday afternoon and they said they only have the sunburst. They have no delivery date for white or ebony and have to just wait and see.....
Maybe they DID have an ebony or two in stock temporarily but only to meet existing orders (yours included)....?!

Well mate I phoned saying saying I'd swap my imperfect sunburst they sent me last week for another one as I couldn't be bothered to wait for the Ebony ones to arrive. the guy on the phone said oh wait we've just had a delivery of Ebony ones in (I didn't have one on order) Today this arrived

IMG_4070.JPG

• Like 4

I got a thunderbird vintage pro a few weeks ago just after they leapt in price everywhere. I was initially after a white one but when I saw this sunbust one in stock & advertised as new/B-stock at a bargain price it would have been rude not to. The reason for the reduction is a tiny area of rub-through of the black finish at the far edge of the headstock which is only noticable when you look for it. It'll probably pick up dents in that area before too long if it collides with cymbals on a cramped stage.

I normally use thomastik, La Bella or fender flats on my other basses but I wanted to get a brighter tone from this bass so I kept the stock roundwounds on until today when a couple of sets of La Bella 750T white nylon tapes arrived. I've just fitted a set to the t-bird and I'm knocked out by how well they work for me on this bass. They have a similar tension to Thomastik JF344 jazz flats so I can play with a lighter touch like I can with TIs, but the sound seems to lean more towards rounds more than flats & the ultra smooth surface feels perfect for me. Changing the strings showed the tuners as being less smooth than ones on my other basses, although they work fine for tuning up. If I do replace them I'll probably get a set of Gotoh GB-640 res-o-lites, but they aren't cheap. I can live with the existing ones though.

Looking forward to my first rehearsal with the La Bellas next week and my gig with the bass next weekend.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2018 at 15:40, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I considered it but decided it would be for visuals only, as they do nothing but get in the way when I'm playing. They are also rather expensive!
I have purchased some long stem tuners and a tug bar, both yet to be fitted, but I will be sure to post a picture when they're on!

Did you get around to fitting those yet? If so, any chance of a photo?

17 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Not sure if I should feel like a test pilot or guinea pig.

LOL! Well if by any chance you change your mind, I've a Precision I could stick those Gotoh's on if you feel like moving them on?