Why become a member? ×

New embassy (and also thunderbird) bass, Classic style!

tommorichards

On 07/02/2018 at 18:50, W1_Pro said:

Thus far, I'm finding mine difficult to warm to.  Sounds sort of...clanky? Not like a Gibson. Or not like a Gibson that I've heard, I should say.

On 08/02/2018 at 18:02, dannybuoy said:

I understand the vintage pickups that these are supposed to emulate are a lot brighter / clankier than the more recent Thunderbird pickups which go the other way towards mudbucker territory.

On 08/02/2018 at 21:27, Cosmo Valdemar said:

... Definitely far brighter and growlier than the current Gibson Thunderbird pickup - in fact it sounds just like an old classic Thunderbird.

I'm not very experienced with Thunderbird pickups but I have to say the Epiphone Embassy is much brighter sounding than I expected ... but nothing that can't be worked with.

I've got a classic pro iv I never play, but it was a better bass than my 2012 Gibson. My Epi has a Babicz bridge, Gotoh tuners, a hard case and Gibson pick ups (standard on this model). Lovely bass but doesn't suit the music I play now. When the vintage pro was announced, I had one on pre-order for quite a while, but cancelled it when I realised I hadn't played the classic pro for months!

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's tempting! All the best Thunderbirds have had neck repairs don't you know 😂

This is true. xD

I know someone who could fix this but still......

I actually went on Gear4Music to order one the other night (on the basis I could return it if I didn’t like it) and it had gone. I wonder if someone had an accident? ;) :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well after my initial uncertainty I quickly became enamoured with the Thunderbird. So enamoured that I got a bit silly and ordered some more, realised I didn't need three and put one up for sale. 

I can't stop playing them, such a thick growly tone. They aren't subtle or refined. And they really respond to pickstyle too, it really kicks up the aggro a few notches. With my current setup, I am very pleased indeed - I can easily achieve the Cheap Trick / Wishbone Ash tone.

I have ordered some replacement Gotoh tuners however - the current ones are fine but don't look quite right. The old-fashioned long stem tuners should finish it off nicely. 

• Like 1

I want a Black one but the car is slowly going tits up and getting in the way of any purchases in the near future :( 

Will the deteriorating situation at Gibson affect the availability in the future, or is Epiphone a stand alone company again these days? 

17 minutes ago, pst62 said:

I want a Black one but the car is slowly going tits up and getting in the way of any purchases in the near future :( 

Will the deteriorating situation at Gibson affect the availability in the future, or is Epiphone a stand alone company again these days? 

That is a good question...