Why become a member? ×

New embassy (and also thunderbird) bass, Classic style!

tommorichards

From what I've gathered - it's many, many years since I played an original - they are a lot brighter than later versions, which many prefer. Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash) is my go to TBird sound (bloody nice bloke too, played on the same bill as him at the Acoustic Festival of Britain last year, although he used a '72 Ric for that - FWIW, he also confirmed he played a Ric on Argus, despite the photos). As another '72 Ric user, clanky sounds right up my street. ;-)

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4000 said:

From what I've gathered - it's many, many years since I played an original - they are a lot brighter than later versions, which many prefer. Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash) is my go to TBird sound (bloody nice bloke too, played on the same bill as him at the Acoustic Festival of Britain last year, although he used a '72 Ric for that - FWIW, he also confirmed he played a Ric on Argus, despite the photos). As another '72 Ric user, clanky sounds right up my street. ;-)

Martin Turner's WA tone is the definitive Thunderbird sound for me. As for Argus, I think his memory is playing tricks on him - there's no way that's a Rick! He recently re-recorded Argus and used the Rick and it's a very different sound.

There's also a lot of palm muting on Argus which wouldn't be doable on a Rick. Unless he'd swapped the bridge.

Argus is the Thunderbird neck pickup, without a doubt.

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Martin Turner's WA tone is the definitive Thunderbird sound for me. As for Argus, I think his memory is playing tricks on him - there's no way that's a Rick! He recently re-recorded Argus and used the Rick and it's a very different sound.

There's also a lot of palm muting on Argus which wouldn't be doable on a Rick. Unless he'd swapped the bridge.

Argus is the Thunderbird neck pickup, without a doubt.

Def sounds like one to me too, but that's what he says. If I get to see him again - very likely at some point - I'll ask again.

The Burgundyglo '72 he has now isn't his old bass, he said he was using that for the first time at the Acoustic Festival. His original bass was a 21 fretter, which do sound very different as I've had one and that's why I got rid of it and I know of other people who have/have had them who say the same. His current is a '72 with skunk stripe, which also sound different than the pre-skunks. I got to check it out, which was extremely cool. He has very high action, way, way higher than mine.

Anyway, apologies, back to TBirds. If the Epi can get close to Martin's sound for £500 or thereabouts then that'll do me (in white, obviously), although I do worry about the huge headstock and potential neck dive as, like I say, I haven't played one in many years.....I was supposed to be being notified by a couple of places as to when they were in stock but have heard crickets. 

23 hours ago, W1_Pro said:

Thus far, I'm finding mine difficult to warm to.  Sounds sort of...clanky? Not like a Gibson. Or not like a Gibson that I've heard, I should say.

I understand the vintage pickups that these are supposed to emulate are a lot brighter / clankier than the more recent Thunderbird pickups which go the other way towards mudbucker territory. Probably best to stick to the previous model is you want that thicker darker sound!

• Like 1

I finally had the chance to plug it in briefly tonight and... Wow! Fantastic tone. Definitely far brighter and growlier than the current Gibson Thunderbird pickup - in fact it sounds just like an old classic Thunderbird. For those going after that Martin Turner tone, the neck pickup nails it.

To my ears, the tone with both pickups blended is slightly tighter that the classics but that's to be expected as the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge that it used to be. The neck pickup though, it just roars. Filthy beast!

I think my initial impressions were a bit harsh - probably because it's a brand new, shiny thing that has never been played, I rarely buy brand new and I'm use to things being a bit more worn in. I've just spent a very pleasurable half hour finding my way around it. Amazingly, no neck dive either! It does hang in a slightly odd position compared to what I'm used to, but again, that's just the nature of Thunderbirds.

I'm not 100% if it's staying yet, but it's rapidly growing on me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I finally had the chance to plug it in briefly tonight and... Wow! Fantastic tone. Definitely far brighter and growlier than the current Gibson Thunderbird pickup - in fact it sounds just like an old classic Thunderbird. For those going after that Martin Turner tone, the neck pickup nails it.

To my ears, the tone with both pickups blended is slightly tighter that the classics but that's to be expected as the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge that it used to be. The neck pickup though, it just roars. Filthy beast!

I think my initial impressions were a bit harsh - probably because it's a brand new, shiny thing that has never been played, I rarely buy brand new and I'm use to things being a bit more worn in. I've just spent a very pleasurable half hour finding my way around it. Amazingly, no neck dive either! It does hang in a slightly odd position compared to what I'm used to, but again, that's just the nature of Thunderbirds.

I'm not 100% if it's staying yet, but it's rapidly growing on me.

Ok, def didn't need to hear this.xD

I need to find one to try.....in white. Anybody know if Dawson's in Manchester have any in?

On 8 February 2018 at 18:02, dannybuoy said:

I understand the vintage pickups that these are supposed to emulate are a lot brighter / clankier than the more recent Thunderbird pickups which go the other way towards mudbucker territory. Probably best to stick to the previous model is you want that thicker darker sound!

I think you might well be right. I remember reading somewhere (possibly on here) that the guts of the original T bird pickups were repurposed lap steel ones that were surplus to requirements. I messed about  with it again this morning (the bass that is, fnar fnar). I'm still struggling to love it. First world problem!

21 hours ago, basshead56 said:

woukd any of you fine fellows be able to provide the measurements of one of these beauties? am looking at some options and cases etc.

what is the total length? and width of each bout of the body?

Case: 133.5cm x 43.5cm (tapers towards end)

Bass: 127cm x 36cm (approx. body width)

21 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Case: 133.5cm x 43.5cm (tapers towards end)

Bass: 127cm x 36cm (approx. body width)

Now that's service! :D

Now I'll just have to check the various cars it may be going in......! Any problems on the back seat or is it estate car only?

On 2/9/2018 at 18:12, W1_Pro said:

I think you might well be right. I remember reading somewhere (possibly on here) that the guts of the original T bird pickups were repurposed lap steel ones that were surplus to requirements. I messed about  with it again this morning (the bass that is, fnar fnar). I'm still struggling to love it. First world problem!

Lemmy had one of the '60s T/Bird pickups in the neck position of his most iconic Ric (from my era anyway), the Hawkwind / early Motorhead bass used on Ace of Spades. 

lemmy.jpg

On 05/01/2018 at 14:07, goingdownslow said:

Mine turned up half an hour ago, quick tune up and straplocks on balances nicely on a Comfort Strapp.

I ordered a case with it, the headstock just about fits, which I suppose is just enough really.

Thunderbird 1.jpg

Hi I've ordered one of these it comes tomorrow what case fits it ? 

Screenshot_20180212-194012.png

It might fit but unless anyone been confirm 100% I would email Gf at our r first. I've heard the old Epis, new Classic/Vintage Pro Epis and Gibsons are all slightly different in shape and length and not all hard cases fit all models. 

It's worth getting an official Epiphone one. My Classic Pro fits the older rectangular shaped one like this:

https://www.reidys.com/pr/guitar-cases-and-bags/epiphone-thunderbird-bass-hard-case-22570/

The newer ones are tapered:

Case_Tbird_Splash.jpg

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

It might fit but unless anyone been confirm 100% I would email Gf at our r first. I've heard the old Epis, new Classic/Vintage Pro Epis and Gibsons are all slightly different in shape and length and not all hard cases fit all models. 

It's worth getting an official Epiphone one. My Classic Pro fits the older rectangular shaped one like this:

https://www.reidys.com/pr/guitar-cases-and-bags/epiphone-thunderbird-bass-hard-case-22570/

The newer ones are tapered:

Case_Tbird_Splash.jpg

That's the one I have. It fits, but there's little space at the headstock.

20180211_134707.jpg

On 05/01/2018 at 14:07, goingdownslow said:

Mine turned up half an hour ago, quick tune up and straplocks on balances nicely on a Comfort Strapp.

I ordered a case with it, the headstock just about fits, which I suppose is just enough really.

Thunderbird 1.jpg

Hi I've ordered one of these it comes tomorrow what case fits it ? 

IMG-20180213-WA0005.jpeg