Why become a member? ×

New embassy (and also thunderbird) bass, Classic style!

tommorichards

One of my students bought an embassy and it was delivered yesterday. 

He brought it to his lesson, and we unboxed it 

first impressions are very very good. For a £330 bass this thing is excellent. Solidly built, and a comfortable weight.

a nice vintage styling, with an eye to practicality. Pups are sounding great. - the pro buckers didn't disappoint in the slightest. 

Setup was good out of the box- only a slight tweak of the truss required

image.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Setup was good out of the box- only a slight tweak of the truss required

It's got about 10 thou of relief in the neck now. Dropped both sides of the tune-o-matic...... Action (17th fret) about 2mm on E side, 1.75mm on G side. Lowered the nut slots a hair. Played it for a good couple of hours last night. Being picky but, those stock strings are rough. Jeez, my fingers are sore this morning! Going to stick a set of Hi-Beams on it, later today. Would have preferred a volume, volume, tone arrangement, rather than the volume, blend, tone. And going to have a look under the pickguard and see what values they used for the tone pot/cap. It's not very effective. A bit too subtle. More treble cut required, when backed-off, me thinks. But nit-picking, really. Like Chris said, a lot of bass for the money.

• Like 1

So I went over and checked it out today.....

I liked it. Nice neck feel which is similar to the Jack Cassidy if memory serves. Nice feel in the hand and not slim like a jazz. Pick ups were great - both on and/or neck only would be the sort of tones I'd gravitate towards. Nice tone played with a pic too, not something I normally do but it would rock out all night long if that was yer thing. I could see myself playing the Ivory one (maybe fashion a tort guard just because) and for the money a great bass for any level of player looking for something familiar but different  - I know an oxymoron but you know what I mean...right?

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, karlfer said:

GAK were showing expected mid Feb, a mere 7 months after supposed launch.

Well, the NAMM blurb from a year ago had them launching the Vintage Pro summer of 2017....... The Canadians (L&M) got them first, some time in November. Then the US dealers got them first week of December IIRC. I think the UK dealers are still predicting last week of Jan, beginning of Feb before they receive stock.

• Like 1

Just played a white Vintage Pro at Rockshop in Dunedin and....

I am in love!!!!!

It appears they have been available in the land down under-er since October.

Anyway, it is a flawless beast of a bass. looks and feels stunning  Beautiful finishing and just feels a class above the previous incarnations. 

This thing is a tone  monster.

The pickups growl like nothing else. Would love to AB with my Gibson Studio IV.

Anyway, I thought it would be another 'maybe'. But it's now number one on the hit list. Now, Black or White....

Edited by basshead56

GAK and Andertons also got the Sunburst VP. (They got 'em in yesterday.) Andertons probably the best place to drop the £499 if you don't want to wait for the White and Ebony models. The "free" accessory pack includes a Roksak TB gig bag, worth 30 or so squid....

Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro Bass in Vintage Sunburst @ Andertons

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, goingdownslow said:

Mine turned up half an hour ago, quick tune up and straplocks on balances nicely on a Comfort Strapp.

I ordered a case with it, the headstock just about fits, which I suppose is just enough really.

Thunderbird 1.jpg

Very nice indeed! Fancying ebony or white I am.

1 hour ago, howdenspur said:

Very nice indeed! Fancying ebony or white I am.

1 hour ago, goingdownslow said:

Mine turned up half an hour ago, quick tune up and straplocks on balances nicely on a Comfort Strapp.

I ordered a case with it, the headstock just about fits, which I suppose is just enough really.

Thunderbird 1.jpg

Handsome. Nice statuette too...

1 hour ago, goingdownslow said:

Thunderbird 1.jpg

Absolutely stunning. 

I will show it to its cousin, my TB that is.