Why become a member? ×

New embassy (and also thunderbird) bass, Classic style!

tommorichards

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1484817123' post='3218632']

I'm not sure what you mean by this - I can think of very few basses with authentic Thunderbird-style pickups or tone.
If you're referring to the Embassy, that is a reissue of a bass that used Thunderbird pickups as well, so it's authentic on that front.
[/quote]

They stick tbird pickups or alike pickups in everything. And fine if you like all your range to sound the same but in different shapes.
I realise often basses have used the same pickups as another model and a reissue would possibly stick to that, but what's wrong with a little more variation on a theme. They literally have 4 basses with probably similar tone, bar the shape. Its to me like if p basses and j basses from fender only used jazz pickups or very similar in both models.

I have no problem with Epiphone or Gibson.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1484790471' post='3218527']
Why are they putting those thunderbird style pickups on [b]everything[/b]. They belong on a tbird I bet they are even in a similar space.

I honestly wish some manufactures would give a little more variety from one bass to the other in terms of tone.
[/quote]

Yeah, because these are going to sound exactly like a Jack Casady, an Allen Woody or one of those "Tobias" Toby models - no variety there then :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1484769037' post='3218331']
Have to say though, having gone through some of the faf of buying a Classic Pro IV and finding parts to mod it more to 60's spec, my first reaction to the ad was 'Oh for God's sake!'
[/quote]

Close to my reaction...although I'll stick with my Shukerbird now...but I think I'd like a two-piece bridge...

Let's just get one thing straight at this point about Thunderbird pickups. Story goes that (from Mike Lull, who I think knows his poop), when Gibson discontinued the lap-steel instruments in 1962, they had a surplus of pickup coils, these were paired up, put onto a steel plate, had a nickel cover put on them and were installed into the original Thunderbird IV and II models. Everything else thereafter was a created on a needs must or facsimile basis. Mike Lull has disassembled original pickups and uses the same schematic for his 'birds.

If the pickups Epiphone are using sound decent enough, then it's no wonder they're utilising them!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1484822263' post='3218707']
They stick tbird pickups or alike pickups in everything. And fine if you like all your range to sound the same but in different shapes.
I realise often basses have used the same pickups as another model and a reissue would possibly stick to that, but what's wrong with a little more variation on a theme. They literally have 4 basses with probably similar tone, bar the shape. Its to me like if p basses and j basses from fender only used jazz pickups or very similar in both models.

I have no problem with Epiphone or Gibson.
[/quote]

I'm still a bit confused - do you mean Gibson or Epiphone use Thunderbird pickups in everything? I understand the point you are making but can't tell which basses you are referring to.
The original Thunderbird pickups are scarce and sought after, which is why manufacturers like Lull and Thunderbucker Ranch are able to successfully recreate and sell them at considereable prices. Hopefully these 'new' Epiphone pickups are faithful recreations as well and not just the black ones in a different cover, because that would be a dreadful shame.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that Embassy! But I feel a bit cheated with the Bird. I've got a Gibson and I've been looking into changing the hardware to chrome or nickel. Left the idea because of the staggering costs and now they do this. They should've done this years ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Andertons have the 'Bird on their system, although not yet available.
They have an initial price of £629, but say that may change (either way possibly) by the time they get them.

I thought they might come in around £450.
£629 for an (admittedly gorgeous) Epi is a bit too much for my liking.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1494095759' post='3293281']
Andertons have the 'Bird on their system, although not yet available.
They have an initial price of £629, but say that may change (either way possibly) by the time they get them.

I thought they might come in around £450.
£629 for an (admittedly gorgeous) Epi is a bit too much for my liking.
[/quote]

Got a link? I can't see it on their website.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1498048929' post='3322207']
Due to drop in the next month or so but still no sign online... :(
[/quote]
I am surprised that there has been no mention on Epi's site. Maybe they have sold out to pre-orders so there is no point in advertising something they have no stock of.
I remember when I heard about Epi's Elite EB3 I called Rossetti who were the UK importers and they said they only got 4 and they had gone, and they were getting no more.

Edited by goingdownslow

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1498048929' post='3322207']
Due to drop in the next month or so but still no sign online... :(
[/quote]

I emailed Epiphone, and Gibson got back to me saying new launches for products are confidential lol :D

Edited by Number6

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1484751924' post='3218089']
Hope not, the Tbird is supposedly replacing the current Pro 1V, which sells around £350/£400.
Certainly not going to pay pushing a grand for an Epi, as good as they can be.
[/quote]

A quick Google shows Sweetwater selling at 599 dollars. They also have pics of the white one. Oboy.

Sweetwater have the white, the black and the Tobacco sunburst one.

[url="https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBTVTSNH"]https://www.sweetwat...detail/EBTVTSNH[/url]

That white one looks fairly tempting!

I assume with the current level of the £ vs $ they aren't going to be much off £600

Edited by Woodinblack