Why become a member? ×

Looks like Trace Elliot may be back? NAMM 2017?

40hz

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/DSCN1156.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/DSCN1156.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Is that serious enough? It's rated for ~200w and has a jack socket speaker output..

There seems to be a lot of speculation and a little negativity regarding the Elf however, no-body has actually tried it under 'battle conditons' and those that have had a quick go seem to think it's actually quite good.. The manufacturers can't seem to be clear regarding their figures - for starters they all rate them differently as we well know. If Trace / Peavey would have put it out as a 500w or whatever amp, would it have made it a better product or just satisfied those who buy things because 'they're shiny'..? Or would it have been slated for being 'under-powered for it's rating'? Catch 22...

I appreciate that a Speakon connector is a better option (at whatever 'power rating') generally but I really don't see what all the fuss about it is. If it was a 5kW pro-audio power amp then I would certainly question it but in this application, I just don't see the issue..

Personally, I have no desire to purchase the Elf or it's associated cabinets as I'm more than satisfed with my sound and setup - it just seems short-sighted to judge a book by it's cover and associated ISBN number without actually reading it..

I quite agree. It's one thing saying that jacks worked great for years (and they did!) but so did 'dumb' phones, dialup internet and cars without seatbelts.

There are other reasons as opposed to lack of height in the case though. I have been talking to Diedrich from GSS about the connectors used on their amps. He said that despite there looking like there's enough room for the connector, there is enough room for the profile of the connector, but not the depth inside the amp for the back part.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490954275' post='3269327']

They also had Bulgin connectors for the mains lead, but no-one in their right minds would want that nowadays.
[/quote]

Perhaps not, but suggesting that professional, highly regarded kit is no longer 'serious' because of technological advances seems a little harsh.

Just to further elaborate/labour the point, I've played hundreds of gigs through a variety of amp/speaker connections. At no point can I ever remember accidentally pulling out a 1/4" jack plug out from my amp/speaker or thinking the speak-on connection sounds far superior to a jack connection. Mrs & Mrs Average punter usually can't tell the difference between basses, cabs or amps so I'm pretty sure they're not going to turn their collective noses up if they were to find out that a cab had been connected via the lesser spotted jack plug.

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1491076030' post='3270376']
Would those vintage amps still have 1/4 jacks if Speakons had existed?
[/quote]NO. Jacks were designed for signals not power and many are rated at under 1 amp. that is 8 watts at 8 ohms. SpeaKons are rated at 40 amps continuous ( just short of 13,000 watts).

Of course the better makes of jacks from the likes of Neutrik (Rean), Switchcraft, Amphenol and Cliff have jack sockets and/or plugs that are rated ay 5 amps (200Watts into 8 ohms) or even 10 amps (800 watts into 8ohms) but are all the connectors rated that highly? Are all jack speaker leads using properly rated connectors (or cable). Of course the real problem is that it is easy to short out a jack lead and many early solid state amps have died this way. SpeaKons are bulletproof, they cannot be shorted and can take all your amp can put out and more.

However... for a small form factor amp, a jack does make sense but make sure you use a good quality speakers lead and connectors and only switch the amp on oncer the cables are in place.

Edited by Chienmortbb