Why become a member? ×

Looks like Trace Elliot may be back? NAMM 2017?

40hz

[size=4]Looking at pre ordering[/size]

[url="https://www.sweetwater.com/"]Sweetwater.com[/url] Notification Request Hi We've received your request to be notified when the [url="https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ELF"]Trace Elliot ELF 200-watt Micro Bass Head (ELF)[/url] is in stock. We will e-mail you the moment it arrives. If you have any questions in the meantime, please call us at [url=""](800) 222-4700[/url]. Helpful Hint: When a product is in short supply, there may be several people waiting to be notified when it arrives. When you receive your notification, you will want to place your order right away. Or, to reserve your spot ahead of that crowd, you can place your order right now, either online or by calling [url=""](800) 222-4700[/url]. Sweetwater does not charge your card until your order actually ships. It's worth the wait! When you shop at Sweetwater, you will enjoy personal service, the lowest prices possible, free shipping and a free 2-year warranty on nearly everything we stock, and free tech support.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1484934554' post='3219895']
I emailed Peavey yesterday, those in the Customer Services offices don't yet know a release date apparently. They kept this very very hidden from all but a few employees there it seems. Or so they claim at least ;)
[/quote]

It wouldn't have been that hard to hide though now would it? The amp is only the size of a matchbox.

Not hugely impressed. I was hoping for something much more substantial. :( The pedalboard looks good though.

Peavey obviously have no idea what to do with TE. They should sell the Trace brand back to a British company. Perhaps Blackstar? They haven't got into bass amps yet, beyond that little pocket practice amp they do.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1485009328' post='3220365']
Not hugely impressed. I was hoping for something much more substantial. :( The pedalboard looks good though.

Peavey obviously have no idea what to do with TE. They should sell the Trace brand back to a British company. Perhaps Blackstar? They haven't got into bass amps yet, beyond that little pocket practice amp they do.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that...Paul Stevens, former CEO at TE is now wotrking at Blackstar and is designing a Class D bass amp. We'll see what they come up with in the not too distant.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1485009328' post='3220365']
[/quote]
I'm rather hoping that Trace will incorporate the pedalboard as the preamp for a lightweight amp head. In the absence of a mini-SMX, it could make a good alternative.

What is this market for these 200w heads? More and more seem to be appearing, I don't really get who is buying them?? If I were looking for something that low powered for practice or similar, I would be looking at a combo rather than a standalone head and a separate speaker or 2.

Clearly there is a market for them and I say good luck to them! Certainly looks more exciting than the GK equivalent :)

200W has only been considered low powered comparatively recently. I've been gigging on and off since my teens in the 90s, and I've still never owned a rig of more than 300 watts. Admittedly, I've not spent much of that time playing with rock guitarists, but even then an honest 200w into enough speaker area can go a long way.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1485035014' post='3220677']
200W has only been considered low powered comparatively recently. I've been gigging on and off since my teens in the 90s, and I've still never owned a rig of more than 300 watts. Admittedly, I've not spent much of that time playing with rock guitarists, but even then an honest 200w into enough speaker area can go a long way.
[/quote]

True, but, generally speaking, 200 Class D watts are not the same as a traditional 200 watts. Ill say with some confidence that this new amp will not get close to the volume of older 200w Trace heads.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1485038141' post='3220711']

True, but, generally speaking, 200 Class D watts are not the same as a traditional 200 watts. Ill say with some confidence that this new amp will not get close to the volume of older 200w Trace heads.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I love Trace and I really hope they're going to be bringing out some 'bigger' units but unless they have developed some amazing new tech, Trace are going to be using the same technology that every other class d manufacturer is using. As such, it'll have the same limitations that every other amp of that ilk has. They certainly won't be able to replicate the 'Trace watts' that we know and love in a package of that size.

Trace gear has always left me a bit disappointed be honest... I've never heard anything I've liked.

However if that elf is anywhere near gigable and doesn't sound totally sh*t I'll be getting one. If I can fit my amp in the pocket of my gigbag that is one less thing to carry. I travel to every gig and every rehearsal on the tube with my cabs on a little trolley and bass on my back. Portability trumps everything else... my rig is only ever backline anyway, DI to the PA out front.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1485034219' post='3220665']
What is this market for these 200w heads? More and more seem to be appearing, I don't really get who is buying them?? If I were looking for something that low powered for practice or similar, I would be looking at a combo rather than a standalone head and a separate speaker or 2.

Clearly there is a market for them and I say good luck to them! Certainly looks more exciting than the GK equivalent :)
[/quote]

Lots of people live in small apartments with no storage space, thin walls and have neighbors really close by. Those people tend to live in big cities where they have to use public transport to get to gigs and carry everything by hand, and many of those gigs are in tiny venues where loudness and power are not much of an issue as sound quality. As long as they sound good, they should do well with these.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1485075606' post='3220835']

Lots of people live in small apartments with no storage space, thin walls and have neighbors really close by. Those people tend to live in big cities where they have to use public transport to get to gigs and carry everything by hand, and many of those gigs are in tiny venues where loudness and power are not much of an issue as sound quality. As long as they sound good, they should do well with these.
[/quote]

I get that requirement, but what are such people using for a cab? In such circumstances, a small combo would be even more convenient surely?

If not, why not buy a more powerful amp and turn it down? I cannot see why people need an amp this tiny, 500w+ Class D heads are marginally bigger and much more flexible.

As I say, the market is clearly there for companies to be making them, I just don't understand why :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1485043214' post='3220744']
must admit I don't understand this preoccupation with light weight heads, cabs yes, but heads no, I've got a 200 watt TE SMX head that weights 13Kg, easy one hand lift, even my missus can carry it, come on lads man up
[/quote]
I've got no arms so why don't you man up?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1485043214' post='3220744']
must admit I don't understand this preoccupation with light weight heads, cabs yes, but heads no, I've got a 200 watt TE SMX head that weights 13Kg, easy one hand lift, even my missus can carry it, come on lads man up
[/quote]
I love macho posturing, it always makes me laugh.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1485076618' post='3220839']

I get that requirement, but what are such people using for a cab? In such circumstances, a small combo would be even more convenient surely?

If not, why not buy a more powerful amp and turn it down? I cannot see why people need an amp this tiny, 500w+ Class D heads are marginally bigger and much more flexible.

As I say, the market is clearly there for companies to be making them, I just don't understand why :)
[/quote]

The 200 watt amps are often substantially cheaper than the 500 watt versions. That's a consideration for a lot of people.

If manufacturers were required to quote their power ratings in a way that they were all comparable, and accountable to a certain degree, I think things would be very different.
I've gigged with 100 - 200 W amps back in the day, pre class D and never ever wanted more power.
If Trace are being honest about their ratings, then surely 200 actual watts will be enough for most people, and as a bonus it fits snugly into the back pocket of lady jeans...

Eude

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1485077298' post='3220845']
I've got no arms so why don't you man up?
[/quote]
[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1485077883' post='3220853']
I love macho posturing, it always makes me laugh.
[/quote]sorry lads, thought people would realise my tongue was in my cheek by that point

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1485075606' post='3220835']
[/quote]I would have thought a light weight combo would have been a better bet under those circumstances, no amp to carry or store at all

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1485079587' post='3220873']
If manufacturers were required to quote their power ratings in a way that they were all comparable, and accountable to a certain degree, I think things would be very different.
I've gigged with 100 - 200 W amps back in the day, pre class D and never ever wanted more power.
If Trace are being honest about their ratings, then surely 200 actual watts will be enough for most people, and as a bonus it fits snugly into the back pocket of lady jeans...

Eude
[/quote]

I'd love this to be the case, but I can't see how it is anything but another low powered Class D head, comparable with the MB200. If not, brilliant! But they will have to market it well as it will be overlooked.