Why become a member? ×

Looks like Trace Elliot may be back? NAMM 2017?

40hz

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1484806701' post='3218549']
Interesting. The Elf could be a good little backup head. I wonder what power amp module it uses...
[/quote]

Peavey have pretty much always made their own. I'll ask if I have time to get up to their suite.

Edited by Passinwind

I'm seriously underwhelmed. After all this time, the best they can do is a GK mb200 clone and a pseudo paraphrase of the Tech 21 flyrig?!! Really?!! Try just a bit here!!

Obviously, Trace Elliot must have hired the same consultants that advised Hartke to create such awful amplifiers for the last 8 years.

How difficult is it? Just put the graphic and drive functions in a box with a 1000w power module and you're good to start on the way. But no. Instead we get this crap.

Who even uses a 200w amp anymore anyway? (unless it's a very old trace). Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful.

Gotta hand it to them though, that has to be the smallest lightest bass amp on the planet. I don't need anything like that, but it's impressively small.

I wish they had just shrunk the 400SMX into a Class D amp...even if the chassis was fairly large.

Nothing I'd want to invest in...hopefully there is more?!

Edited by Musicman20

That pedal looks like it might be interesting, but it's hardly stylish is it? The typeface is as if they didn't change it from the default on the computer...

And the back pocket of a female models jeans is all a bit behind the times...

Not intrigued with the amp at all, looks like they found it at a trade show and rebadged it.

Not stylish... but in keeping with the look of the last batch of Trace Elliot I guess. They're probably dipping their toes in - no point in a massive rebrand, update in look and feel if there's less than a luke warm reception!

I'm with you on the amp - I must admit, I had a quick snoop around aliexpress.

You'd think they'd actually do some market research (e.g read Basschat!) before putting their time and trouble into designing a product they feel is worthy enough to relaunch the brand on the back of. In all the 'I wish Trace would...'-type threads the majority have wished for a lightweight SMX. Not necessarily microscopic footprint, simply a lighter weight version of one of the best heads many of us have played through and which was - again, for many of us - the finest iteration of the Trace concept. There's plenty of frigging match boxes with 5 or 6 knobs on out there already FFS. My money will be staying in my wallet and my TC RH750 will remain my go-to for the future by the look of things. Grrr!

Has TE or Peavey not listened to what any bass players has been asking for them.

I actually feel a bit annoyed. Its been clear as day (almost) what people wanted from TE.
They could of even made that micro amp a tiny tiny miniature version of any of there past successful amps and people would of thought it was cool. But no instead they make some indistinct thing, which might be a half decent amp but its only notable feature is its tiny.

But least the brand name isn't totally dead.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1484824950' post='3218754']
Nobody's talking about that cab? It looks lovely, i would like to know more about it. Looks like a very compact 210 or 208, if they managed to pack the TE punch in that little thing i would be very interested in one.
[/quote]

Ditto - can't see any info on it yet?

Very disappointing. Like a lot of you, what I really want to see is a lightweight small-package SMX with all its classic features. Doesn't have to be ultra teeny tiny, just sub-10lbs and around the 500w mark. A good take on this would see my Shuttle 6.0 up for sale and, I would suggest, could be something of a world-beater.
Instead, we get yet another clone fag packet.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1484826287' post='3218773']
Very disappointing. Like a lot of you, what I really want to see is a lightweight small-package SMX with all its classic features. Doesn't have to be ultra teeny tiny, just sub-10lbs and around the 500w mark. A good take on this would see my Shuttle 6.0 up for sale and, I would suggest, could be something of a world-beater.
Instead, we get yet another clone fag packet.
[/quote]

Exactly. This is beyond a level of sub par crap. I'm now not actually disappointed but now quite angry that they thought they could toss off any old crap and get away with it. Awful.

Wow - a bunch of musicians slagging off a musical product without having heard it or even seen the full specs, who'd have thought it?!

For all anyone knows, these new offerings could contain everything they wanted from TE or have I missed the comments from the people that have heard them at the show? Though of course, they could just be what they look like.

The fact is, companies are there to make money which does not alway include catering to a minority striving for the past. TE have seen that the majority of bass players are spending their money on tiny class-D amps & EQ/DI pedals and so have decided they would like some of that cash too, nothing wrong with that. The profits from these products could go towards developing the potentially more classic TE products you want.

Edited by Lw.

Credit where credit is due: That's the smallest bass amp I've ever seen. You have to wonder, though, just when you would need an amp to be that tiny. For gigging purposes you eventually reach a point ( that I'd say most Class D amps have reached) where smaller and lighter no longer means more practical, but rather simply smaller and lighter. Has anyone ever said to themselves, "I really love my 3 lb lunchbox amp, but I just wish it were 1.6 lbs and could fit in my pocket"?

A key comparison for a modern TE head should be the Genz Shuttlemax line. That size, weight around the same or a little more, decent footswitch, and a totally stunning clean channel....I don't even need any tubes in it.

The Max 9.2 is the closest I've ever got to a powerhouse with great definition, like the 400SMX from Trace.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1484843600' post='3219031']
The pedal looks useful, not sure about the head, okay as a home practice amp? Unless that's true TE watts.

Bring out the big guns please. I want power. Heavy TE power.
[/quote]yeah if it's old TE watts it'll be more like anybody else's 500 watts, but a class D? I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised

While I'm nostalgic for my old depleted uranium 4x10 TE combo, I'd *never* gig with it again, and continue to celebrate my move to the light-side.

I think their Elf amp looks a reasonable, low risk attempt for sales. If it delivers what it promises, then it's not bad. Surprised not to see a matching cab, though. And rubbish that it has no Speakon out. Price will be key.

The two floor pre-amps look quite decent and, if they perform, I can see them being reasonably popular. Just not my cup of tea...

I think we have all got it wrong. That amp is strap mountable - minimises the signal loss from bass to amp.

Then there's a long trailing cable going across stage to the speaker cab... and of course, the one that goes to plug socket.

It's groundbreaking stuff.

Seriously though...

If the Elf was cheap enough, I'd consider getting one for the home or little acoustic get togethers... maybe this is the taster before the big guns come out. If you consider this as a starting point, going up against the likes of say, something like the D200... with the vision on going onto something more akin to the GB Shuttles... then maybe they are onto something.